Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Birmingham. I'm in my first year, second semester.

So far, I am not enjoying the course because of its heavy physics involvement. Throughout my a levels, I pretty much only had motivation to practise maths and further maths and found it very fun and interesting. I was never bothered to practise physics. I don't like remembering things, I like to work things out instead.
    A levels - Maths:A, Further Maths: B, Physics: B.

I am afraid, entering second year engineering, I will not be motivated to do any work as I am not enjoying the course.

I was wondering whether it gets better and less physics involved? To quit now and enter maths? Which I already know is a different to a levels. How do I know if I would enjoy it? I would also say I much prefer to work by myself than in a team.

Any thoughts guys?
    I look forward to hearing your responses.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonxnce)
    Hello, I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Birmingham. I'm in my first year, second semester.

So far, I am not enjoying the course because of its heavy physics involvement. Throughout my a levels, I pretty much only had motivation to practise maths and further maths and found it very fun and interesting. I was never bothered to practise physics. I don't like remembering things, I like to work things out instead.

I am afraid, entering second year engineering, I will not be motivated to do any work as I am not enjoying the course.

I was wondering whether it gets better and less physics involved? To quit now and enter maths? Which I already know is a different to a levels. How do I know if I would enjoy it? I would also say I much prefer to work by myself than in a team.

Any thoughts guys?
    Do you want to be an engineer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Do you want to be an engineer?
    No I don't. The answer to my questions sound so easy when you ask it like that 😂 I believe I entered the degree for completely the wrong reasons. High graduate prospects and following my brother's footsteps. I never actually looked over the course content. But I know the degree is very applicable to many disciplines.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    But I know the degree is very applicable to many disciplines.
    Yes it is, and so is a maths degree

If you can't see yourself as an engineer but do enjoy the "mathsy" aspects of it then perhaps a maths course would be a better route. Maybe chat with some mathematicians at your current university about their course, and if you like the uni, consider transferring to the course where you are. That would be relatively straightforward (if you meet the course entry requirements).

Note, you do get a "gift" year from student finance to allow for situations like this where students change their mind about the course (or need to retake a year), so the money side is ok.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to be an engineer then there is no point in completing an engineering degree. Switch to maths, if that's where your interests lie. The course is heavily physics based, and will remain so as you advance through it, although as it goes on it will become a little more engineering based once the basic physics concepts are taught. But if it's maths concepts that you really like, then switch to maths.

ReputationRep:

Any thoughts guys?
    I was the same as you and still completed my MEng in Mech Eng degree (at Southampton Uni) so I would 100% recommend sticking to the course. The reason why I picked it over maths is because I already had enough knowledge in physics and wanted to mix the two to solve "real life problems" as I thought Maths and Physics as pure courses were more theoretical.

What I did was that - in the first 2 yrs of the degree, where all modules are compulsory - I basically focused on the more mathsy modules as I enjoyed them better, and just neglected the rest and only studied enough of it to pass (modules like manufacturing and materials spring to mind).
    What helped this strategy work is also the fact that first yr at my uni doesn't count and 2nd year only counts for 17% of the degree. So grades didn't matter too much.

Now unto 3rd and 4th year that count towards most of the degree, most modules were optional. Which was great as I was free to choose all the mathsy ones I enjoyed like CFD (computational fluid dynamics) which is quiet heavy in differential equations and Control Systems which is all based on matrices. Other modules that are maths heavy are computer and programming related modules.

A further example is this lady currently in my workplace who started off with a Maths degree but ended up working as a CFD engineer in Rolls Royce for several years before joining the company where I work.

So I think that if you carefully pick your modules and go for the maths heavy ones that you enjoy, you can hit two birds with a stone by having a very employable degree and going for modules you actually enjoy!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.