Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fog Lights - Good? more like a hindrance to others! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for this rant. This has happened too often now and it has irritated me enough. Fog lights MAY be used when visibility is "reduced to around 100 meters or less" and this certainly hasn't been the case recently. Instead, I have found that multiple motorists have turned on their fog lights as soon as they have left their driveways! This is appalling, especially in urban areas. It dazzles those behind and I don't think people understand. In fact, I was forced to look away from the road at times this morning for the benefit of my vision. This is not the safest thing to do but my eyes were aching at this point as I had been behind this car for 30 minutes. Road users need to be aware that fog lights aren't necessary and must be turned off when there is a vehicle directly behind (that's if they even use their mirrors which I highly doubt ). Apologies again for this rant but don't you agree that they are a safety risk when they are used inappropriately?

ReputationRep:
    I agree. They can be very dangerous, dazzling and tiring for the driver behind them. There are very few occasions when they are appropriate and legal to use. A hundred metres of visibility is really very low. I suspect a lot of idiots just see a bit of mist or rain as an opportunity to use some more toys.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if you're already totally visible, putting even more light into peoples eyes doesn't improve the situation.

TBH the highway code states 100m visibility but IMO you need to be mindful of visibility vs separation and speed too... on a high speed road or motorway it's more important that following vehicles get plenty of advance warning of your position- not important in queuing traffic, unless you're at the back of a queue with the possibility of vehicles at high speed coming up behind you (in which case turn your fogs off after they've slowed down and joined the queue behind you)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Yeah if you're already totally visible, putting even more light into peoples eyes doesn't improve the situation.

TBH the highway code states 100m visibility but IMO you need to be mindful of visibility vs separation and speed too... on a high speed road or motorway it's more important that following vehicles get plenty of advance warning of your position- not important in queuing traffic, unless you're at the back of a queue with the possibility of vehicles at high speed coming up behind you (in which case turn your fogs off after they've slowed down and joined the queue behind you)
    Yes, I completely agree there; speed is a major factor. That is a good point in terms of the queue and it is important that are turned off once the vehicle joins behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I agree. They can be very dangerous, dazzling and tiring for the driver behind them. There are very few occasions when they are appropriate and legal to use. A hundred metres of visibility is really very low. I suspect a lot of idiots just see a bit of mist or rain as an opportunity to use some more toys.
    I suspect that is quite often the case. They really are dangerous when used unnecessarily around town when there is a bit of mist.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.