Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much of a geek are you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im a poser - 2.16963%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I know very litte elvish actually my lady, mainly how to use suffixes and prefixes.
    Well, at least u know something...
    I just know 4 languages...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    To be fair, I've spent too long on here in the last fortnight. Largely because I do feck all for 70% of the week. Mates are mainly on holiday. I would love a job though! I'm bored out my head and could use the cash to be honest.
    This is the first time I've been on since last Tuesday

ReputationRep:
    Russian I can't do, although I do know the odd phrase in klingon.
    Thats the kind of thing that I find slightly odd.

It must take about the same amount of effort, knowledge, intelligence etc to learn Klingon, or Elvish as it would to learn Russian or Spanish.

One choice allows you to join "elite" groupings chatting away in Klingon at a Star Trek convention.

The other makes you far more employable at a senior level in many top companies.

By all means learn a language, but why pick one only spoken by actors in 1 TV show/films and their fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    The roots are the important parts though. Hardly anyone knows proper grammer.
    Very true, although only tolkien elvish is recognised by myself.

ReputationRep:
    Very true, although only tolkien elvish is recognised by myself.
    Also...u know how to give compliments and please a lady very well...and since when was that bad?!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)

It must take about the same amount of effort, knowledge, intelligence etc to learn Klingon, or Elvish as it would to learn Russian or Spanish.

One choice allows you to join "elite" groupings chatting away in Klingon at a Star Trek convention.

The other makes you far more employable at a senior level in many top companies.

By all means learn a language, but why pick one only spoken by actors in 1 TV show/films and their fans.
    because it is fun and I am a trekkie, so why not? Anyway, i also want to learn japanese as well, which will help me out more.

ReputationRep:
    This is the first time I've been on since last Tuesday
    This is the last time I'm on for some time. I'm resolved on this, it can be nothing but nerdish.

Adios

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    To be fair, I've spent too long on here in the last fortnight. Largely because I do feck all for 70% of the week. Mates are mainly on holiday. I would love a job though! I'm bored out my head and could use the cash to be honest.
    I've spent too long on here the last couple of days because I get my exam results tomorrow and have been too nervous to concentrate on anything else! (including sleeping properly)

ReputationRep:
    I recognise drow and Tolkien Elvish. Plus a bit of dwarvish. Which seems quite like old Norse to be honest (I once learnt Viking runes).

(Original post by dave134)

I would say they are as hard, because they aren't languages to the same extent as say Russian. Plus they don't have the same extensive vocabulary (Klingon might but def not Elvish) because of their time and place setting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose in Bloom)
    Also...u know how to give compliments and please a lady very well...and since when was that bad?!!
    Well, apparrently, narbgoth feels that is is.

ReputationRep:
    My bf is more nerdy than I am but is still incredibly romantic and knows just what to say

ReputationRep:
    I recognise drow and Tolkien Elvish. Plus a bit of dwarvish. Which seems quite like old Norse to be honest (I once learnt Viking runes).

I would say they are as hard, because they aren't languages to the same extent as say Russian. Plus they don't have the same extensive vocabulary (Klingon might but def not Elvish) because of their time and place setting.
    Klingon is somewhat like german in the way it sounds very aggressive, but it does have many gramatical rules and the pronounciation is quite tricky in places.

ReputationRep:
    9.6% - Geekish Tendancies. The thing is that I got penalised for doing computing - things like knowing hex, binary, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hehehe I got 5.71992% - poser . Just for fun I did the test cus I'm bored. Skim read it only tho cus it's not worth the time. But then it's not fair cus the comic book stuff I only read Japanese comic books and they're nowhere near geeky, and I'm sure everyone would agree, for those who have actually read a native Japanese comic. Plus for goodness sake I do chemistry for A-Level and planning to take science on for degree - I HAVE to know more than 10 element symbols. I'm pretty sure most people do too they're not hard. And being someone who took Eng Lit of course I'd read quite often! (as one question was if you read on Friday nights).

But good news for me is I didn't understand most of those terms but I do know someone who would! Btw, Risk isn't geeky - it's quite fun. Nice and tactical - games that are all based on chance are just too easy. Given that the person I play Risk with is extremely intelligent and tactical so I always lose

ReputationRep:
    Well, apparrently, narbgoth feels that is is.
    lol...
    Its interesting how ppl think.....

ReputationRep:
    Klingon is somewhat like german in the way it sounds very aggressive, but it does have many gramatical rules and the pronounciation is quite tricky in places.
    True. I don't really know Klingon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    9.6% - Geekish Tendancies. The thing is that I got penalised for doing computing - things like knowing hex, binary, etc.
    Only a geek would choose to do computing

ReputationRep:
    I recognise drow and Tolkien Elvish
    You might be able to answer this then. Did Tolkein bas elvish on welsh in any way? Some of my family live there, and while I don't speak welsh myself, when listning to the films, it sounded very similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Hehehe I got 5.71992% - poser . Just for fun I did the test cus I'm bored. Skim read it only tho cus it's not worth the time. But then it's not fair cus the comic book stuff I only read Japanese comic books and they're nowhere near geeky, and I'm sure everyone would agree, for those who have actually read a native Japanese comic. Plus for goodness sake I do chemistry for A-Level and planning to take science on for degree - I HAVE to know more than 10 element symbols. I'm pretty sure most people do too they're not hard. And being someone who took Eng Lit of course I'd read quite often! (as one question was if you read on Friday nights).
    Well, I read japanese comics and watch anime all the time (the manga is in english, but the anime is japanese language with english subs), it does not make you a geek really.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.