Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel IAL Statistics 2 Jan 25th 2017 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Did anyone here appeared for this exam today? We can discuss answers here since I don't see any other thread.

Funny story, I was the only registered candidate appearing for exam so I was alone with two invigilators, kinda weird but peaceful and quite.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzah249)
    Hello,

Did anyone here appeared for this exam today? We can discuss answers here since I don't see any other thread.

Funny story, I was the only registered candidate appearing for exam so I was alone with two invigilators, kinda weird but peaceful and quite.
    Good luck, if you have any questions then let me know (I sat S2 ages ago... with only
    One invigilator in the room 😂😂😂)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Good luck, if you have any questions then let me know (I sat S2 ages ago... with only
    One invigilator in the room 😂😂😂)
    There was this question I am gonna write it out excuse me because it's blurry.

Piece of cloth has an average 2 defects over* 5m^2

A retailer buys 12 cloths of 15m^2
    Find the probability that exactly half of these pieces of cloth has atleast 7 defects.

This was a 5 marks question I made some words up but the value and context of the question is exactly same. How would you go about doing this, my answers was either 0.7892 or 0.1709. I don't remember which was it.

I do remember a few more high marks question if you don't mind me asking let me know.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    There was this question I am gonna write it out excuse me because it's blurry.

Piece of cloth has an average 2 defects over* 5m^2

A retailer buys 12 cloths of 15m^2
    Find the probability that exactly half of these pieces of cloth has atleast 7 defects.

This was a 5 marks question I made some words up but the value and context of the question is exactly same. How would you go about doing this, my answers was either 0.7892 or 0.1709. I don't remember which was it.

I do remember a few more high marks question if you don't mind me asking let me know.
    If average in 5m is 2 then in 15 it is 6.

It then becomes a binomial distribution question mixed with Poisson.

Probability of X, the event that there are at least 7 faults in a cloth, is found using Poisson. Let's call this probability p.

Then Y, the probability of exactly half of 12 cloths having 7 or more faults (in essence, 12 independent X's) can be modelled by a bionomial distribution with Y~B(12,p) and you are interested in P(Y=6).

If you have questions that can be explained just like that without going into calculations then you can ask.

ReputationRep:
    If average in 5m is 2 then in 15 it is 6.

It then becomes a binomial distribution question mixed with Poisson.

Probability of X, the event that there are at least 7 faults in a cloth, is found using Poisson. Let's call this probability p.

Then Y, the probability of exactly half of 12 cloths having 7 or more faults (in essence, 12 independent X's) can be modelled by a bionomial distribution with Y~B(12,p) and you are interested in P(Y=6).

If you have questions that can be explained just like that without going into calculations then you can ask.
    Great that is exactly how I did it!

Yeah an other question

A farmer claims 96% of his seeds germinate.
    In a random sample of 75 seeds, 66 seeds germinated.Use a suitable approximation to test at a 1% level of significance whether or not farmer is overstating the no. of his seeds germinate.

x~B(75, 0.96)
    Y~N(72, 2.88)

H0p=0.96 ; H1p<0.96

P(X=<66) = P(Y<66.5) and took it from there. Does this working look correct to you? This was worth 7 marks I just want to be assured no silly mistakes were made.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Great that is exactly how I did it!

Yeah an other question

A farmer claims 96% of his seeds germinate.
    In a random sample of 75 seeds, 66 seeds germinated.Use a suitable approximation to test at a 1% level of significance whether or not farmer is overstating the no. of his seeds germinate.

x~B(75, 0.96)
    Y~N(72, 2.88)

H0p=0.96 ; H1p<0.96

P(X=<66) = P(Y<66.5) and took it from there. Does this working look correct to you? This was worth 7 marks I just want to be assured no silly mistakes were made.
    Yes, looks like full marks to me providing conclusions were stated as they usually are in mark schemes

ReputationRep:
    Yes, looks like full marks to me providing conclusions were stated as they usually are in mark schemes
    THANKS

ReputationRep:
    I let X=the number of seeds that didn't germinate and used X~B(75,0.04), then approximation X~Po(3).
    I think it is not very suitable to use normal approximation because p is not close to 0.5.
    BTW I rejected H0, is that true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leilanifly)
    I let X=the number of seeds that didn't germinate and used X~B(75,0.04), then approximation X~Po(3).
    I think it is not very suitable to use normal approximation because p is not close to 0.5.
    Then how did you go about solving P(X=<66)?

EDIT: Never mind I get it, your answer does seem convincing.

ReputationRep:
    SeanFM What do you think about this?

ReputationRep:
    P(X>9) for my conditions. It's same to P(X<=66).

ReputationRep:
    Zacken

Which do you think is correct? I feel like his way is correct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.