The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Statistics 2 Jan 25th 2017

Hello,

Did anyone here appeared for this exam today? We can discuss answers here since I don't see any other thread.

Funny story, I was the only registered candidate appearing for exam so I was alone with two invigilators, kinda weird but peaceful and quite. :biggrin:
Original post by Hamzah249
Hello,

Did anyone here appeared for this exam today? We can discuss answers here since I don't see any other thread.

Funny story, I was the only registered candidate appearing for exam so I was alone with two invigilators, kinda weird but peaceful and quite. :biggrin:

Good luck, if you have any questions then let me know (I sat S2 ages ago... with only
One invigilator in the room 😂😂😂)
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Good luck, if you have any questions then let me know (I sat S2 ages ago... with only
One invigilator in the room 😂😂😂)

There was this question I am gonna write it out excuse me because it's blurry.

Piece of cloth has an average 2 defects over* 5m^2

A retailer buys 12 cloths of 15m^2
Find the probability that exactly half of these pieces of cloth has atleast 7 defects.

This was a 5 marks question I made some words up but the value and context of the question is exactly same. How would you go about doing this, my answers was either 0.7892 or 0.1709. I don't remember which was it.

I do remember a few more high marks question if you don't mind me asking let me know. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
There was this question I am gonna write it out excuse me because it's blurry.

Piece of cloth has an average 2 defects over* 5m^2

A retailer buys 12 cloths of 15m^2
Find the probability that exactly half of these pieces of cloth has atleast 7 defects.

This was a 5 marks question I made some words up but the value and context of the question is exactly same. How would you go about doing this, my answers was either 0.7892 or 0.1709. I don't remember which was it.

I do remember a few more high marks question if you don't mind me asking let me know. :smile:

If average in 5m is 2 then in 15 it is 6.

It then becomes a binomial distribution question mixed with Poisson.

Probability of X, the event that there are at least 7 faults in a cloth, is found using Poisson. Let's call this probability p.

Then Y, the probability of exactly half of 12 cloths having 7 or more faults (in essence, 12 independent X's) can be modelled by a bionomial distribution with Y~B(12,p) and you are interested in P(Y=6).

If you have questions that can be explained just like that without going into calculations then you can ask.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
If average in 5m is 2 then in 15 it is 6.

It then becomes a binomial distribution question mixed with Poisson.

Probability of X, the event that there are at least 7 faults in a cloth, is found using Poisson. Let's call this probability p.

Then Y, the probability of exactly half of 12 cloths having 7 or more faults (in essence, 12 independent X's) can be modelled by a bionomial distribution with Y~B(12,p) and you are interested in P(Y=6).

If you have questions that can be explained just like that without going into calculations then you can ask.

Great that is exactly how I did it!

Yeah an other question

A farmer claims 96% of his seeds germinate.
In a random sample of 75 seeds, 66 seeds germinated.Use a suitable approximation to test at a 1% level of significance whether or not farmer is overstating the no. of his seeds germinate.

x~B(75, 0.96)
Y~N(72, 2.88)

H0p=0.96 ; H1p<0.96

P(X=<66) = P(Y<66.5) and took it from there. Does this working look correct to you? This was worth 7 marks I just want to be assured no silly mistakes were made.
(edited 7 years ago)
Great that is exactly how I did it!

Yeah an other question

A farmer claims 96% of his seeds germinate.
In a random sample of 75 seeds, 66 seeds germinated.Use a suitable approximation to test at a 1% level of significance whether or not farmer is overstating the no. of his seeds germinate.

x~B(75, 0.96)
Y~N(72, 2.88)

H0p=0.96 ; H1p<0.96

P(X=<66) = P(Y<66.5) and took it from there. Does this working look correct to you? This was worth 7 marks I just want to be assured no silly mistakes were made.

Yes, looks like full marks to me providing conclusions were stated as they usually are in mark schemes
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, looks like full marks to me providing conclusions were stated as they usually are in mark schemes

I let X=the number of seeds that didn't germinate and used X~B(75,0.04), then approximation X~Po(3).
I think it is not very suitable to use normal approximation because p is not close to 0.5.
BTW I rejected H0, is that true?
Reply 8
Original post by Leilanifly
I let X=the number of seeds that didn't germinate and used X~B(75,0.04), then approximation X~Po(3).
I think it is not very suitable to use normal approximation because p is not close to 0.5.

Then how did you go about solving P(X=<66)?

EDIT: Never mind I get it, your answer does seem convincing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9

@SeanFM What do you think about this?
P(X>9) for my conditions. It's same to P(X<=66).
Reply 11

@Zacken

Which do you think is correct? I feel like his way is correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending