Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think about Chinese New Year? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Happy Chinese New Year!

2017: Year of the Rooster

It's the end of the Year of the Monkey... it's nearing the Year of the Rooster! What do you think about Chinese New Year? Perhaps you celebrate or observe it - if so, what do you do?

What do you think about the extravagant celebrations and parades? Do you know of any interesting traditions? Share your thoughts here. :yum:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I celebrate it of course as I'm Chinese :mmm:

I love it when I get the red envelopes containing money :awesome: And of course the food omg, it's like a second Christmas for us
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I celebrate it of course as I'm Chinese :mmm:

I love it when I get the red envelopes containing money :awesome: And of course the food omg, it's like a second Christmas for us
    I want a red envelope with money in it. :sad: Oh yeah asking for money bad luck, I don't want any.

The food sounds so good, honestly so envious - there's a thread in Chat about the food, you could post in it what you're going to be eating tomorrow? :emo: To make everyone jealous? :emo::emo:

Any special traditions at home?

ReputationRep:
    Lmao this is so bad, I didn't even realize it was Chinese New Year till like an hour ago.
    Anyway the food is deffo the good thing about it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think it's beautiful :love:
    But I don't celebrate it
    I just make a big fuss and persuade the take-away to be ordered :mmm:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Lmao this is so bad, I didn't even realize it was Chinese New Year till like an hour ago.
    Anyway the food is deffo the good thing about it
    Omg really? That's OK food is good, it really is :coma: - I like how pretty everything is too!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    I want a red envelope with money in it. :sad: Oh yeah asking for money bad luck, I don't want any.

The food sounds so good, honestly so envious - there's a thread in Chat about the food, you could post in it what you're going to be eating tomorrow? :emo: To make everyone jealous? :emo::emo:

Any special traditions at home?
    I got a red envelope!

Food yes, today I had a Chinese New Year Eve reunion meal where the family gather round a table and has a lot of food to eat Pics are uploading as i type this hehe

At midnight we set off firecrackers and fireworks to welcome the new year. Every house does this so you can imagine it's incredibly loud! As I'm in Malaysia, it was like an actual battlefield :rofl:

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm mostly indifferent... but I want to start collecting the Lunar coin series from the Royal Mint. So pretty, but sooo pricey. :afraid: Might have to settle for the silver.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    free moneyz

ReputationRep:
    I miss the parades in London as they kept down-scaling them, until they weren't that fun and interesting. Haven't been since the year of the tiger which I think was 2012 (can't be asked to calculate). But I do want to go to this years one for nostalgia's sake.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

it's great :rofl:

Food and money, what's not to like

when we live in Beijing it was very enjoyable, despite us not being chinese. Kinda left the tradition behind though :/

ReputationRep:
      I generally enjoy it in hong kong, eat lots of sweets and get money
      Happy new year, wish everyone is having good health and rich
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Tfw the Hong Baos have been exceedingly generous this year

As much as the lion dances, the food and stuff are a load of fun, it's a great way to bring the family together again. Also an excuse to knuckle down and tidy your flat after it's been looking like a bomb site for a month :ninja:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.