Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was the Women’s March just another display of white privilege? Watch

Announcements

In the march, hundreds of thousands of women — the overwhelming majority of them white — marched freely, beyond the borders of their permitted route in Washington, filling the streets in Los Angeles, effectively shutting down downtown Chicago, yet never encountering police in riot gear, never having to wipe away pepper spray, never fearing arrest. The women even posed for photos with grinning officers wearing pink “pussy hats” alongside them. High-fiving police, even.

And how did Madonna get away with talk of “blowing up the White House” in a speech on the Mall when those with darker skin fear saying such things even in private company?

“White women and white bodies can hold space on streets and shut down cities ‘peacefully’ because they are allowed to,” wrote blogger and author Luvvie Ajayi in a Facebook post that has been shared more than 6,000 times. “Black and brown people who march are assaulted by cops.”

“In a world that doesn’t protect women much, when it chooses to, it is white women it protects,” Ajayi wrote.

Others burst the congratulatory post-march bubble with posts that contrasted gleeful, pink-hatted white protesters from Saturday with last summer’s viral image of Ieshia Evans, a young black nurse and mother photographed during protests in Louisiana over the death of Alton Sterling, as she stood, alone and stoic, brave, selfless, heroic and angelic, facing two officers in riot gear barreling toward her.

In a phone call from Philadelphia, Ajayi, whose book “I’m Judging You: The Do-Better Manual,” debuted last year on the New York Times bestseller list, elaborated. “Nobody got arrested,” she said. “But I felt I had to remind them why nobody got arrested and what creates the atmosphere where they can have a successful march.”

She and others said they believed that the march is being heralded as a peaceful one because most of its participants were white.

“This march, the fact that it could go off peacefully and cops are wearing pink hats, and no one felt like they were in danger, and militarized police didn’t show up, that’s white privilege at its core,” she said. They have the access and ability to do the things the majority of black and brown people who protest don’t have.”

“It’s something they almost brag about. ‘No one was arrested. The police gave us high-fives,’ ” said Johnetta Elzie, a Ferguson protester who also refused to attend any of the women’s marches. “The people I’ve seen saying that are white women, and that’s really spoken from a complete place of privilege.”

Tension over diversity questions plagued the march in the weeks before the event. Anger erupted over the event’s original name, the Million Women March, which echoed, without attribution, an important 1997 march by African American women in Philadelphia. After a post on the march Facebook page by ShiShi Rose, a member of its social media team, that reminded marchers to recognize the activist work among people of color that started ages ago, some white would-be marchers said they would no longer attend.

Despite reservations among some black women about attending the march, too, Brittany Packnett, a District-based educator and activist, went to the Women’s March and calls its turnout “a feat.”

Afterward, she had a message for those who hoped to continue the march’s momentum going forward.

“If we’re going to say ‘all women,’ then we need to consider the way that different women experience life,” she says. “When you are the kind of woman who has always been prioritized, it can be difficult to realize there are different experiences.”

She added: “When we acknowledge various realities, we actually knit together a stronger movement — when we are considerate of the fact that every woman is not comfortable walking up to a police officer, given the way police have brutalized black and brown women in this country.

“We shouldn’t dismiss that. We shouldn’t say, ‘Oh, well today was about unity, why are you complaining?’ ”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...32c_story.html

ReputationRep:
    What was the total cost of repairs from the Women's March?

ReputationRep:
    Just throwing it out there ....

Some 'players' have a reputation for robust tackling so 'referees' are more likely to show a yellow or red card for a 'challenge'

Players - the community
    Referees - Dibble
    Challenge - Historical protest MO

I fully appreciate there is element of chicken or egg in but the players can't complain tooooooooooooooo much at the refs if they keeping deliberately doing Norman Hunter or Chopper Harris-esque tackles

ReputationRep:
    I think you just love watching controversial threads and seeing arguments.

I don't think you actually have a particular view point you just like to poke a fire. I have a feeling we would get on very well at a football game I am not into football I just like watching people get wound up over it.

Whenever I watch a game I just pray for a penalty that should never be a penalty in the 90th minute that ruins the whole game for the other team preferably with a red card. my Dream is the referee been sent off for punching a player in the face but that will never happen.

Although what i really want is two countries playing each other who are at war or really hate each other. Israel vs Iran or North Korea vs South Korea. What I want is whole countries passionately hating each other and taking way to seriously every single incident on the football pitch. Then some blatantly unfair decision that ruins the game for one side and has everyone fuming on that side.

I kind of really enjoyed England going out to Iceland because it wound so many people up. I actually predicted it which made it all the sweeter when people said why didn't I put my money where my mouth was. Then I could say actually I did and showed the bet. ah sweet sweet times.

ReputationRep:
    I can see her point, though it's not just the case that white people marching get an easy ride from the police - the general level of co-operation and collaboration is also important. For example, the alter-globalisation movement's protests, and many Occupy protests, received a brutal reaction from the police despite being predominantly white, in large part because the protesters weren't playing along - they were often refusing to even communicate with the police unless they absolutely had to.

ReputationRep:
    White privilege?

Black people aren't allowed to stage pointless, virtue signalling marches in the US?

Who knew!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.