The Student Room Group

how to tackle circuit questions in AS physics?

i'm currently in year 13 doing A2 physics and revising the electricity circuit topics from AS, but i'm finding this area of physics extremely difficult.

i did not do the AS exams last year (linear course) so i never really fully got my head around these circuit topics but i just wanted to know how to do these types of questions. I know and understand all the parts of the specification under this topic, like kirchoff's laws, the definitions of p.d and emf etc but i just seem to really struggle with these types of questions when i practice these past paper questions. i'm more or less fine with the other topics and questions but its just circuits and electricity which i cant seem to do.

so what i wanted to know is just how to deal with circuit questions in general, do i just need to keep practicing these questions? any overall tips or advice?

if there are any good resources i can access (ive used and looked at various videos on yt already) then i would appreciate it a lot.

any input would be extremely helpful, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by shibe
i'm currently in year 13 doing A2 physics and revising the electricity circuit topics from AS, but i'm finding this area of physics extremely difficult.

i did not do the AS exams last year (linear course) so i never really fully got my head around these circuit topics but i just wanted to know how to do these types of questions. I know and understand all the parts of the specification under this topic, like kirchoff's laws, the definitions of p.d and emf etc but i just seem to really struggle with these types of questions when i practice these past paper questions. i'm more or less fine with the other topics and questions but its just circuits and electricity which i cant seem to do.

so what i wanted to know is just how to deal with circuit questions in general, do i just need to keep practicing these questions? any overall tips or advice?

if there are any good resources i can access (ive used and looked at various videos on yt already) then i would appreciate it a lot.

im currently doing AS physics im getting roughly B's/low A's in past papers which i have to do every week, for the electricity questions just do the past papers for whatever exam board you are on would be my best advice for the questions, obviously make sure you look at the mark scheme and check your following the correct method.
Reply 2
Original post by RS012
im currently doing AS physics im getting roughly B's/low A's in past papers which i have to do every week, for the electricity questions just do the past papers for whatever exam board you are on would be my best advice for the questions, obviously make sure you look at the mark scheme and check your following the correct method.

right, i will do thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by shibe

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/a-level-edexcel/topic-3/

Try these booklets
Reply 4
you should try to understand the topic first , if you cant answer the questions learn the topic , use a revision guide if possible , apply all of your knowledge , this is the key with electricity questions , they put everything in 1 circuit questions , they want you to apply all of the theories usually E.G) current in a parallel circuit is split up across components , they want you to know this even if it inst obvious in the question , also look at every little component that is in the circuit and try to understand what is happening!
So try to use all of your electricity knowledge when solving circuit problems , i am also doing the same course your doing , i found that once i had gone over the content and i knew it thoroughly , i could answer most questions by just applying basic circuit rules and using the correct equation.
Physics is all about understanding , people are suggesting past papers and that is great , but the question in the exam is unlikely to be similar , so having this great understanding will help you answer the harder questions you have not seen!
hope this helps:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by cero70
you should try to understand the topic first , if you cant answer the questions learn the topic , use a revision guide if possible , apply all of your knowledge , this is the key with electricity questions , they put everything in 1 circuit questions , they want you to apply all of the theories usually E.G) current in a parallel circuit is split up across components , they want you to know this even if it inst obvious in the question , also look at every little component that is in the circuit and try to understand what is happening!
So try to use all of your electricity knowledge when solving circuit problems , i am also doing the same course your doing , i found that once i had gone over the content and i knew it thoroughly , i could answer most questions by just applying basic circuit rules and using the correct equation.
Physics is all about understanding , people are suggesting past papers and that is great , but the question in the exam is unlikely to be similar , so having this great understanding will help you answer the harder questions you have not seen!
hope this helps:smile:

thank you for the input, i will try and consolidate my understanding :smile:
Out of interest, what grade are you aiming for in physics?
Reply 7
Original post by Darth_Narwhale
Out of interest, what grade are you aiming for in physics?

an A*, however ultimately all i really need is an A for my offers

Quick Reply

Latest