Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's something your parents don't seem to understand? Watch

• Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    When I come home for the holidays, I'm coming home for my HOLIDAYS, and by choice, not for you to tell me when to wake up and how to spend my day
    Do you pay them holiday rates for staying there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Some parents just don't get MH problems

I'm messy :hide:

Does she ask for the names of the friends that you're going out with too? :lol:

Oh yeah my mum is like that too. Worse when she criticises me which doesn't help my confidence lol

Prove it.
    All the time. I've never had a sleepover because of it :sad:

Spoiler:
    Show

I remember when I said I was going to my friends house. So my dad decided to go to my friends house to check if I was there. I wasn't there because I went somewhere. He was so mad at me Lol

ReputationRep:
    This is literally just my mum, my dad pretty much understands me

- That I do actually work and revise and I'm not completely useless, there is literally no trust there........
    - That when I get spending money, its my spending money so I can spend it on what I want
    - That my music taste is awesome
    - That I don't need to wear smart clothes for everything (happened today, I study at 2 schools, one has dress code and one doesnt and I was doing an exam at the one that didnt but my mum was moaning about me going in normal clothes)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    My mum doesn't understand what my job is. She's asked about it a lot (over the 15+ years I've been doing it) and I've explained it to her and shown her reports I've produced....it's like talking to a brick wall.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    All the time. I've never had a sleepover because of it :sad:

Spoiler:
    Show

I remember when I said I was going to my friends house. So my dad decided to go to my friends house to check if I was there. I wasn't there because I went somewhere. He was so mad at me Lol

Okay my parents were never that extreme.... Yours sounds exactly like what happens in the movies :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Okay my parents were never that extreme.... Yours sounds exactly like what happens in the movies :lol:
    It's good that he found out because I was hanging around with the wrong people :yep:

ReputationRep:
    My parents are not from around here so they don't understand a lot of things. they don't understand what A levels are essentially, they think they are a lot easier than they actually are and they often say or do things that aren't socially acceptable here which makes me facepalm. They also don't understand sarcasm most of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 27FT)
    they often say or do things that aren't socially acceptable here which makes me facepalm.
    haha, your parents sound brilliant.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That being emo is not a phase urgh

*rawr* :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    haha, your parents sound brilliant.
    Yeah, they're good for a laugh I guess xD
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    This is literally just my mum, my dad pretty much understands me

- That I do actually work and revise and I'm not completely useless, there is literally no trust there........
    - That when I get spending money, its my spending money so I can spend it on what I want
    - That my music taste is awesome
    - That I don't need to wear smart clothes for everything (happened today, I study at 2 schools, one has dress code and one doesnt and I was doing an exam at the one that didnt but my mum was moaning about me going in normal clothes)
    Your music taste IS awesome :five:

(Original post by 27FT)
    My parents are not from around here so they don't understand a lot of things. they don't understand what A levels are essentially, they think they are a lost easier than they actually are and they often say or do things that aren't socially acceptable here which makes me facepalm. They also don't understand sarcasm most of time.
    oh sarcasm, the number of times I make a sarcastic comment and it turns into a lecture....

(Original post by PQ)
    My mum doesn't understand what my job is. She's asked about it a lot (over the 15+ years I've been doing it) and I've explained it to her and shown her reports I've produced....it's like talking to a brick wall.
    Sometimes I don't know what my job is tbh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Do you pay them holiday rates for staying there?
    I reward them with my presence
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    That being emo is not a phase urgh

*rawr* :3
    :emo:

A cute emo huh
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    I reward them with my presence
    Sounds like they're just insisting they get their money's worth then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)

oh sarcasm, the number of times I make a sarcastic comment and it turns into a lecture....

That's exactly my mum! I once told her a joke and she turned it into a literal half hour lecture on responsibility and I was just like I also get complaints from them whenever I am sarcastic that I need to control my temper or stop being so melodramatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)

Made more awesome thanks to you :five:

Btw have you only just got the Very Important Poster thing below your name or have you always had it and I'm being stupid?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Lol no, waiting for that secret 13 gem :moon:
    Illuminati Gem

• Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 27FT)
    That's exactly my mum! I once told her a joke and she turned it into a literal half hour lecture on responsibility and I was just like I also get complaints from them whenever I am sarcastic that I need to control my temper or stop being so melodramatic.
    Yep, they can't tell the difference between a joke and something serious. Like I would tell her something funny I did at uni and she would lecture me on how wrong I was

(Original post by IKEAPanda37)
    Made more awesome thanks to you :five:

Btw have you only just got the Very Important Poster thing below your name or have you always had it and I'm being stupid?
    I only got it yesterday
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    :emo:

A cute emo huh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Yep, they can't tell the difference between a joke and something serious. Like I would tell her something funny I did at uni and she would lecture me on how wrong I was

I only got it yesterday
    Thought so Anyway, its well deserved :thumbsup:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.