The Student Room Group

What's something your parents don't seem to understand?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
what being cool is
gap years.
That a plastic screen protector is not better than a glass one.

"But glass screen protectors are bad because it'll break if you drop your phone, plastic ones don't"

And to this very day, she still believes this.
Original post by Reality Check
I actually thought reading this "Oh god, what's ChaosKass" going to come up with on this thread. Then I realised I haven't seen any posts from her for quite a while...

Pretty sure Kasse was banned and reincarnated as Len Goodman.
Original post by BasicMistake
Pretty sure Kasse was banned and reincarnated as Len Goodman.

Ah, ok. I did wonder...
1.) Brexit
2.) How not to be bigots
3.) That the Article 50 case was not to spite democracy, but was simply maintaining our constiution
4.) Public Law

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UWS
Maybe I should just buy my mum a touch screen laptop so she doesn't have to worry anymore :lol:

Lmao omg this happens to me too! I get lectures from my mum when that's what uni is for :colonhash:

Parents and technology don't really mix :lol:

Remember when you were younger and they told you to go to bed and switch off the game but you weren't at a save point :frown:

I figured this out quick, just unplug the the rgb cable and the screen goes off, but leave the console on over night, and play from the point you were at the next day :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS
Is there a thing that your parents make wrong assumptions about? It could be about you specifically or about anything out there (e.g. technology, food, TSR etc...).

1. That I can have female friends and not be dating them :colonhash:
2. That I do stay behind at university to do work and not mess around...
3. That your laptop screen is not a touch screen... :facepalm:

Discuss.

My mum doesn`t understand that:

I`d rather she didn`t buy me a lot of clothes ~ I`d rather buy them myself. (I don`t mean to sound spoilt but I prefer buying something I`m actually going to wear rather than something I don`t like.:tongue:)

That spending time in my room doesn`t mean I`m necessarily working

Aaaand that universities have other students to look at so interview invites and offers aren`t a casual thing to get one morning in the post ^.^
Original post by Obiejess
1.) Brexit
2.) How not to be bigots
3.) That the Article 50 case was not to spite democracy, but was simply maintaining our constiution
4.) Public Law

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your parents sound badass, like an angry dad yelling at the TV :sly:
How to not get scammed online. Happened like three or four times now, and she gets annoyed at me when I say she shouldn't be buying things online without consulting others first if it's a legitimate website or deal.

Like ma, I love you. But you have lost money you literally could not afford to lose because of your silliness. Swallow your damn pride and ask for help.
Alleviate the stress of poverty and the weight on the shoulders of the less fortunate.

It's just not fair.
Original post by UWS
"You should be studying for your exams in July" :colonhash:

For a second there I thought Robert was 14 years old :emo:

So did I :biggrin:

That Thursday lessons finish at 2:50, and Friday at 4:30 every week, without fail, so please don't yell about my lateness
That two months of skating lessons don't make me 'practically world-class' and that even world champion skaters don't land every jump, messing one up and falling doesn't mean that I'm a failure and that training is a waste of money.
Me, when I mumble.
Original post by UWS
Is there a thing that your parents make wrong assumptions about? It could be about you specifically or about anything out there (e.g. technology, food, TSR etc...).

1. That I can have female friends and not be dating them :colonhash:
2. That I do stay behind at university to do work and not mess around...
3. That your laptop screen is not a touch screen... :facepalm:

Discuss.

hehe 2 and 3 definitely!
My mom/dad doesn't understand:

- how i could do stuff on my tablet when it's detached from my keyboard ('It's a touchscreen, mom')
- how I've get loads of mates when I don't leave my room for months ('I've got Facebook, its been around, like, forever..')
- when i say 'I'll be out in a minute' this means the time it takes to finish and save the place I'm on in COD ( I know u don't understand, but just understand it's a matter of life & death for me..)
- not every young person is rubbish with money ('mom, I do maths, I can calculate in millions, I'm not gonna blow my entire student loan on drugs, sex & rock 'n' roll)
- I can understand what going on the TV without you giving me a running commentary on what a character is doing (' hey, the guy's reaching for his gun'. 'Dad, I can see it on the TV..')

What my mom/dad understands:
- Brexit is bad for young people (me), bad for the economy (them & me), bad for jobs (me).........& they voted Remain (I love you, mom & dad!!)
Reply 76
Original post by SophieSmall
How to not get scammed online. Happened like three or four times now, and she gets annoyed at me when I say she shouldn't be buying things online without consulting others first if it's a legitimate website or deal.

Like ma, I love you. But you have lost money you literally could not afford to lose because of your silliness. Swallow your damn pride and ask for help.

Your mum sounds like my mum. She got scammed a couple of times and when I tell them what they should be looking out for, they tell me off or not telling them earlier or they tell me off for getting rude :colonhash:
Original post by UWS
Your mum sounds like my mum. She got scammed a couple of times and when I tell them what they should be looking out for, they tell me off or not telling them earlier or they tell me off for getting rude :colonhash:

haha drives me up the bloody wall!

Like my mum is by no means stupid, but you put her in front of a computer and it's like she is incapable of learning. I'm convinced it's an attitude problem.

Also just realised I never responded to another quote from you the other day . To answer that quote. I drink squash.
Reply 78
Original post by SophieSmall
haha drives me up the bloody wall!

Like my mum is by no means stupid, but you put her in front of a computer and it's like she is incapable of learning. I'm convinced it's an attitude problem.

Also just realised I never responded to another quote from you the other day . To answer that quote. I drink squash.

Lol yeah like I try to teach them stuff like how to attach PDF files to an email but they don't get it after 7 or 8 times so I think they just CBA to learn. That's just one example too :lol:

From the stereotype thread? Lol I drink tap water when I go to a restaurant, I'm very much an Asian who saves money :biggrin:
Original post by UWS
Lol yeah like I try to teach them stuff like how to attach PDF files to an email but they don't get it after 7 or 8 times so I think they just CBA to learn. That's just one example too :lol:

From the stereotype thread? Lol I drink tap water when I go to a restaurant, I'm very much an Asian who saves money :biggrin:

It's definitely a not actually wanting to learn thing vs wanting it done for them. It's not remotely complicated. :lol:

Haha I get water in restaurants because I am stingy :')

Quick Reply

Latest