Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That as a 28 year old I don't need a 45 minute lecture on what tog duvet to buy and I'm quite capable of arranging my own travel arrangements. It just my Dad that's like this really, I haven't lived with him since I was 13 so he still thinks I'm a kid.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    :shh:

:spank:
    :hide:

I like shiny things, bear
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    That as a 28 year old I don't need a 45 minute lecture on what tog duvet to buy and I'm quite capable of arranging my own travel arrangements. It just my Dad that's like this really, I haven't lived with him since I was 13 so he still thinks I'm a kid.
    37 - got a half hour lecture from my dad on how I'm cleaning paintbrushes wrong last year :nope:

(oh and definitely go for an all seasons duvet that splits in half - godsend :ninjagirl: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    (oh and definitely go for an all seasons duvet that splits in half - godsend :ninjagirl: )
    Haha, they were sold out so I had to make do with a normal one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    This is really amazing to see it from both perspectives!

How old are your kids? (guessing not kids anymore )
    23, 20 and 18.

I think as I get older I can see things from my mum's perspective more, I never ever thought I would be the sort to panic about them needlessly but it appears to be a parent thing.

Mind you, I also think I can be a bit too laid back at times, I didn't worry about youngest going to a New years Eve party...and spent New years day at the hospital with him. The idea that he would get drunk, fall over and suffer a concussion never entered my head... he's anti alcohol!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazysue1)
    23, 20 and 18.

I think as I get older I can see things from my mum's perspective more, I never ever thought I would be the sort to panic about them needlessly but it appears to be a parent thing.

Mind you, I also think I can be a bit too laid back at times, I didn't worry about youngest going to a New years Eve party...and spent New years day at the hospital with him. The idea that he would get drunk, fall over and suffer a concussion never entered my head... he's anti alcohol!
    Ooh I'm 23 too and my mum hates it when I drink lol

Ah you gotta give them a little freedom now, they're adults
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Parents are always gonna lecture us it seems

And to think we left uni...

ReputationRep:
    Kass is banned. She's been reincarnated as Len Goodman.
    Poor Len! That hardly seems fair.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    They don't know whether the rank of the abelian group E(K) of points of E is the order of the zero of L(E, s) at s = 1, and the first non-zero coefficient in the Taylor expansion of L(E, s) at s = 1 is given by more refined arithmetic data attached to E over K.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Ooh I'm 23 too and my mum hates it when I drink lol

Ah you gotta give them a little freedom now, they're adults
    Hehe, they get a little too much at times. My ex husband if he were still living here would have other ideas but as long as they are quiet and don't let the cat out, there is no restriction on what time they come home from a night out. Only eldest does that though, middle son rarely goes out when home from uni and youngest (usually) puts studying before social stuff...I'm usually the one telling him to let his hair down more often.

I'm not anti them drinking, youngest does the disapproval thing on that although I think his New years eve escapade with the edge of a coffee table because his legs were drunk might make his brothers not take him seriously any more. It's one of the reasons I didn't stress about him going to the party but I should have realised that a teenager, even one so anti alcohol, will do typical teenage things when there are girls to impress

I won't stop worrying about them though....it's a parent thing unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Why do young millennials hate their parents so much? They've brought you up, given you free food, given you free shelter, and now you have the audacity, the unmitigated gall, to go insulting them behind their backs.

Respect your elders and betters.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum still doesn't understand that I like other boys...

ReputationRep:
    Once we were at a relative's wedding and the groom started crying when the bride entered.
    My mum thought his tears were out of sadness and questioned it. She could not understand that you can cry out of happiness..we literally had to explain to her that you can be so happy you could cry.
    Tbh it was kinda heartbreaking that she's never expereinced that level of happiness herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Is there a thing that your parents make wrong assumptions about? It could be about you specifically or about anything out there (e.g. technology, food, TSR etc...).

1. That I can have female friends and not be dating them
    2. That I do stay behind at university to do work and not mess around...
    3. That your laptop screen is not a touch screen... :facepalm:

Discuss.
    1. That I can use TSR and not be addicted to it.
    2. That I'm not totally obsessed with finding a bf
    3. That I do actually study at college

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't get video games.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.