Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Marking an answer and telling me where I could improve. Watch

ReputationRep:
    The question was

How does the writer use language in this extract to create an impression of the shop and the people to be found here.

They left the busy scene, and went into an obscure part of the town, where Scrooge had never penetrated before, although he recognised its situation, and its bad repute. The ways were foul and narrow; the shops and houses wretched; the people half-naked, drunken, slipshod, ugly. Alleys and archways, like so many cesspools, disgorged their offences of smell, and dirt, and life, upon the straggling streets; and the whole quarter reeked with crime, with filth, and misery. Far in this den of infamous resort, there was a low-browed, beetling shop, below a pent-house roof, where iron, old rags, bottles, bones, and greasy offal, were bought. Upon the floor within, were piled up heaps of rusty keys, nails, chains, hinges, files, scales, weights, and refuse iron of all kinds. Secrets that few would like to scrutinise were bred and hidden in mountains of unseemly rags, masses of corrupted fat, and sepulchres of bones. Sitting in among the wares he dealt in, by a charcoal stove, made of old bricks, was a greyhaired rascal, nearly seventy years of age; who had screened himself from the cold air without, by a frousy curtaining of miscellaneous tatters, hung upon a line; and smoked his pipe in all the luxury of calm retirement. Scrooge and the Phantom came into the presence of this man, just as a woman with a heavy bundle slunk into the shop. But she had scarcely entered, when another woman, similarly laden, came in too; and she was closely followed by a man in faded black, who was no less startled by the sight of them, than they had been upon the recognition of each other. After a short period of blank astonishment, in which the old man with the pipe had joined them, they all three burst into a laugh.

My answer to this question was

Dickens uses the words ''low-browed'' to give us an impression of a frowning person, not a very happy place. This uses personification to give us a feeling of sin.

Outside the shop, ''reeked with crime,'' giving us the idea of death, robbery, and sin. dickens uses this to create a sense of fear to Scrooge and the readers.

Dickens uses the listing of, ''keys, nails, chains, hinges, files, scales'' to tell the reader that anything can be sold at this shop, stolen things, broken things, anything from nice bedding to ''tatters.''

The compound-complex sentences are used to create a sense of dread in the reader's minds. Not once in this extract is there a simple sentence because simple sentences create hope and Scrooge has no hope.

Thank you for any feedback, all of you are appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomkins4567)
    x
    We're not your teachers silly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    We're not your teachers silly
    I know but my school is really bad at marking work, at the rate my teachers mark I will get this back around June which is too late for me to improve, so I thought I would try here.
    Thank you anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.