Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you know about your family history? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    This seemed to be a huge thing that people wanted to find out about a few years ago, but I've not seen so much on it recently though. There's still the odd advert etc about but nowhere near what there was.

I love watching who do you think you are and other similar programmes, just the stories and things that come out and thinking about how similar people are then, now or in different places, or how quickly stuff can change. For me it's a way of making history and things that have happened more personal, and far more interesting than say a list of dates and facts that we used to seem to have at school! About my own family we know a fair bit now but it's definitely something I'd like to get back into while there's still older people around I can ask and talk about it.

What do you know about your family history? Was there anyone interesting there, or famous? Do you think it's something people worth looking into and knowing about, or is it in the past and not worth your time?

ReputationRep:
    None
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I literally know nothing about my family other than my very close family

I would like to look into my family tree and history at some point though

ReputationRep:
    I don't know very much but I would like to :yep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    This seemed to be a huge thing that people wanted to find out about a few years ago, but I've not seen so much on it recently though. There's still the odd advert etc about but nowhere near what there was.

I love watching who do you think you are and other similar programmes, just the stories and things that come out and thinking about how similar people are then, now or in different places, or how quickly stuff can change. For me it's a way of making history and things that have happened more personal, and far more interesting than say a list of dates and facts that we used to seem to have at school! About my own family we know a fair bit now but it's definitely something I'd like to get back into while there's still older people around I can ask and talk about it.

What do you know about your family history? Was there anyone interesting there, or famous? Do you think it's something people worth looking into and knowing about, or is it in the past and not worth your time?
    I would like to know more about my ancestry. Well my family is Sri Lankan but part of my mom's ancestry comes from Kerala (india) . That's all I know.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to know more, I don't know a huge deal and don't think I ever will :emo:

ReputationRep:
    No more than a couple of generations back on either side, only vague ideas beyond that. We don't have anybody around any more who can help.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I know a bit, as I did my work experience in a record office and was given the opportunity to search for my family's history while I was there

ReputationRep:
    A close relative of mine is heavily into our family history, and has the benefit of good family records. I believe he got us back to the mid fourteenth century - this was a lifetime's work. It gets progressively more difficult (though not impossible) to get back before 1538 because that's when parish records were generally introduced.

I think the whole thing is fascinating. It can really put things in perspective sometimes.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    My dad has done a lot on his family history. It's interesting to say the least. He's discovered the following:
    - we're related to The Osmonds :lol:
    - we're related to William Whipple, I think his name is (something to do with American Independence)
    - his side of the family are really uninventive with boys names

He's gone back to the 1700s I think. We have a lot of family in America. Hence the Whipple and Osmond connections.

And I finally get to meet the Maltese side (Dad is half English half Maltese) in February.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    I know that my family originally came from Scotland. In the 1911 census, my great great great grandfather is registered in Donegal. He was Presbyterian and had married a local Catholic girl. All the children were Presbyterian too, but somehow the religion changed to Catholic (I don't know which son my grandad was related to fully).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My grandmother on my father's side was Native American. But I never really knew what that was or which country they came from (Google says Asia). Apparently 6 generations down the line my ancestors were Spanish :confused:

So my roots are very weird...

75% Chinese and 25% unknown

ReputationRep:
    Yep, My mum and nan used to tell me stories all the time!

i would tell you, but it's quite personal :ninja:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I have heard from family's side that I have roots in the balkans. The 5th generation has been in Lithuania before immigrated to Germany. Could be it was from mothers side.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reshyna)
    I would like to know more about my ancestry. Well my family is Sri Lankan but part of my mom's ancestry comes from Kerala (india) . That's all I know.
    Sri Lanka and Kerala are amazing! Have you ever been there?

(Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I know a bit, as I did my work experience in a record office and was given the opportunity to search for my family's history while I was there
    That sounds like great work experience! Did you find anything interesting?

(Original post by Reality Check)
    A close relative of mine is heavily into our family history, and has the benefit of good family records. I believe he got us back to the mid fourteenth century - this was a lifetime's work. It gets progressively more difficult (though not impossible) to get back before 1538 because that's when parish records were generally introduced.

I think the whole thing is fascinating. It can really put things in perspective sometimes.
    Wow, that's impressive :eek: I know we had big problems getting past the chartist riots (1800s ish) as a lot of the records were destroyed and all the parishes kept changing, but no records at all is even harder. But yeah exactly- seeing how things have changed and what people went through, as well as just the time periods involved. It really does.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    My dad has done a lot on his family history. It's interesting to say the least. He's discovered the following:
    - we're related to The Osmonds :lol:
    - we're related to William Whipple, I think his name is (something to do with American Independence)
    - his side of the family are really uninventive with boys names

He's gone back to the 1700s I think. We have a lot of family in America. Hence the Whipple and Osmond connections.

And I finally get to meet the Maltese side (Dad is half English half Maltese) in February.
    Wow to that too! What was meeting the other side like? I always find it quite strange meeting new family members or ones I don't know very well, like we're related but I don't know you but you look like me and :erm:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    I looked into my family history again about a year ago and found that I'm distantly related to a girl I went to school with :laugh: both of our familys down the line had made their way up from Birmingham. I think we share a great great (maybe another great) grandfather I also know my great grandmother was german, Jewish, and held in a concentration camp with her family in WWII, and a lot of the males in my family were in the RAF.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Sri Lanka and Kerala are amazing! Have you ever been there?
    tbh, I've never gone out of SL. spent most of my time studying.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently related to Spanish royalty on my Father's mother's side

lots of relatives fought in the wars

massive gap of knowledge available because my mother didn't know her father

ReputationRep:
    One of my ancestors in the late 1800s/early 1900s was a serial killer and the family had to change the name to not be associated with him anymore, so that's cool I guess

ReputationRep:
    My Dad told me a few years ago that my ancestor fought alongside William the Conqueror during the Battle of Hastings. He also told me my great-great-great grandfather was the governor of Antigua

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.