Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you know about your family history? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know my mother was 15. I know the hospital I was born in.

That's it. *sob*

ReputationRep:
    This is such an interesting post! Its sad but my family is not close knitted and so i don't think i can figure out who am I related to .
    But I've always been super interested in family history. And there is something that's bothered me for years!

I'm an Indian ( not native american, from India) and a recent study has revealed that mainland Indians had four ancestral stocks contribute to the genetic diversity of present-day Indians. And this makes me wonder what would be the result of my genealogy test?!
    Both my parents have a few family members who have light brown hair and hazel eyes, even though I skipped this trend aha this makes me wonder if I have ancestors belonging to Indo- European areas?
    What adds to my theory is that I am a North Indian and most of us are considered to be actually linked to Indo- Europe.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    My great aunt traced the history of my mums side back to the 1600's, my dads I don't know anything beyond my great grandparents.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I have seen a family tree for one side going back a couple of hundred years, but then they disappear into the Irish countryside. Nobody famous, though I have a couple of professors here and there. No idea on the other side.

It is something I plan to research when I can be bothered.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Old great-great-great grandad was in prison for being drunk and disorderly. :lol:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Wow to that too! What was melia eting the other side like? I always find it quite strange meeting new family members or ones I don't know very well, like we're related but I don't know you but you look like me and :erm:
    I'll let you know when we've met them next month!

We've got family dotted around the world, which is interesting. (and an excuse to learn French - the French side don't speak English!)

Strangely, we discovered that dad has a cousin in Australia who was born the same year as his brother. His brother and cousin both have the same name. (and no, they don't share the same birthdate!)

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like great work experience! Did you find anything interesting?
    I can't remember really, I didn't have much time to look because I had to help out with other things like cleaning books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    My grandmother on my father's side was Native American. But I never really knew what that was or which country they came from (Google says Asia). Apparently 6 generations down the line my ancestors were Spanish :confused:

So my roots are very weird...

75% Chinese and 25% unknown
    I always thought you were black (not just from your dp)
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    I always thought you were black (not just from your dp)
    You're like the 2000th person to say that :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Harri Morgan (Welsh pirate) and Murry the Hump (Al Capone's brains) are both ancestors of mine... I guess I'm destined to be a criminal.

ReputationRep:
    I know that I'm related to a Czech war hero on my paternal grandmother's side, and that I'm directly descended from a west African tribal chief from what is know Nigeria on my mother's side. Also on my mother's side, we have middle eastern (Israel), and my dad's family has some Sinti. You wouldn't think it from looking at me, I guess the Irish genes won

ReputationRep:
    My grandfather is Idi Amin. He was ex-pres of Uganda.

I know some...
      My paternal great uncle died in Korea, his brother died in Italy in WW2
      My maternal great grandfather was a Генерал-лейтенант (Lieutenant General) for the Bulgarian Army during WW2 and lead a squadron of tanks from Bulgaria to Berlin I think.

ReputationRep:
      Well my great great great(idk how many greats tbh) grandfather financially aided the Queen during one of the world wars. There's a copy of a letter thanking him in a book about him that I have at home.

He was extremely rich and owned half of Iraq's land, I think.

ReputationRep:
      My family's from all over the place with a load of stories.
      My favourite is that my great grandfather fought and died at Stalingrad

ReputationRep:
      I really want to learn my family history, I've always been so interested and noisy about things like this!

ReputationRep:
      Originated from Jammu, that's all I know.
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      absolutely nothing
      • TSR Support Team
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Reshyna)
      tbh, I've never gone out of SL. spent most of my time studying.
      Sorry, didn't realise you lived there! Do you like it, or have any plans to go elsewhere in the future? Studying's not the worst thing you could do by any stretch of the imagination!

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
      I'll let you know when we've met them next month!

We've got family dotted around the world, which is interesting. (and an excuse to learn French - the French side don't speak English!)

Strangely, we discovered that dad has a cousin in Australia who was born the same year as his brother. His brother and cousin both have the same name. (and no, they don't share the same birthdate!)
      Sorry, thought you meant last year that is interesting, plenty of places to travel to if you ever want to too! Have your dad's brother and his cousin ever met? Odd how these things happen.

(Original post by Leviathan1741)
      I can't remember really, I didn't have much time to look because I had to help out with other things like cleaning books
      Ah still good to have done though! Always something you can come back to in the future if you want to too
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Sorry, didn't realise you lived there! Do you like it, or have any plans to go elsewhere in the future? Studying's not the worst thing you could do by any stretch of the imagination!
      Just because I am studying Edexcel IAL I can't get uni offers from Sri Lanka so I have to go abroad. But after my uni I'll return to my mother land.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.