Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you know about your family history? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Sorry, thought you meant last year that is interesting, plenty of places to travel to if you ever want to too! Have your dad's brother and his cousin ever met? Odd how these things happen.
    No we've never met the Australian side of the family. Would be interesting to.

ReputationRep:
    My gran on my mum's side apparently was a prostitute. And she has this wee collection of fur and leather (not sure if good quality) coats that she wants to give to my sister and I said I don't want her to dress like a prostitute and my mum literally almost killed me. But I know I'm the reasonable one here.

I also have an uncle who marched in 77 in Lewisham against Pakistani immigration but he's a scum bag rotting in prison.

*Idk if this what you meant by family history or not.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    No we've never met the Australian side of the family. Would be interesting to.
    If you want to meet this side of your family, just going to Australia (if your Australian relatives are living there).

ReputationRep:
    English side: My nan dug up some stuff from her side of the family, don't remember much but I have the email somewhere. Grandpa has a sister named "Bubbles", or something like that. We're supposed to have ancestors from France, and the family has spread as far as Australia and the US (but we have a pretty common surname soooo idk)

Indonesian side: Don't know too much about my Indonesian side. My nan is probably not from the main island (Java) because her side of the family looks vaguely foreign. My grandpa was an accountant (I think, we don't talk about him much). My grandpa (nan remarried) is Dutch/Indonesian/Chinese mixed, and one of his siblings is an international title holder in some martial arts/badminton tournament. He organised and promoted Indonesian rock concerts.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PotassiumIodide3)
    I know that I'm related to a Czech war hero on my paternal grandmother's side, and that I'm directly descended from a west African tribal chief from what is know Nigeria on my mother's side. Also on my mother's side, we have middle eastern (Israel), and my dad's family has some Sinti. You wouldn't think it from looking at me, I guess the Irish genes won
    That's an impressive combination! And yeah, genes are weird like that. Have you ever been to any of them?

(Original post by homeland.lsw)
    I know some...
    My paternal great uncle died in Korea, his brother died in Italy in WW2
    My maternal great grandfather was a Генерал-лейтенант (Lieutenant General) for the Bulgarian Army during WW2 and lead a squadron of tanks from Bulgaria to Berlin I think.
    They're impressive too, especially the last one. Can't even remember which side the Bulgarians were on I have to admit but whichever! A lot of my family were prisoners of war in Hong Kong, fortunately all survived but obviously knew an awful lot of people that didn't.

(Original post by sayan98)
    Originated from Jammu, that's all I know.
    Where's that? think this is showing my lack of history/geography knowledge, sorry love learning about new people and places and stuff though

(Original post by Reshyna)
    Just because I am studying Edexcel IAL I can't get uni offers from Sri Lanka so I have to go abroad. But after my uni I'll return to my mother land.
    Oh okay, that''s a pain. Nice to have some new experiences too though I guess. What do you want to study?

They're impressive too, especially the last one. Can't even remember which side the Bulgarians were on I have to admit but whichever! A lot of my family were prisoners of war in Hong Kong, fortunately all survived but obviously knew an awful lot of people that didn't.
      Axis
      obviously, after ww2 bulgaria became a "communist state" but his position in the army meant that our family had a very comfortable lifestyle
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Oh okay, that''s a pain. Nice to have some new experiences too though I guess. What do you want to study?
      Electronic engineering ( just like my daddy)

ReputationRep:
      That's an impressive combination! And yeah, genes are weird like that. Have you ever been to any of them?
      I've been to the Czech Republic, where I was born (premature, my parents were visiting my grandparents in Prague), but none of the others. My grandma grew up in Ireland, but I've never even been there, despite the relatively short, cheap journey. I live just outside London, so my relatives all prefer to visit us than for us to visit them, especially as I know my way around the city so well :/

ReputationRep:
      An awful lot, can go back to 910ish directly. We were de Beaumonts, came over with William and lost the Earldom in 1485 courtesy of Henry VII; kept hold of a bit of land and property, and the baronetcy until the late 20th century.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Rubbish replying to people atm sorry

(Original post by prazzyjazzy)
      English side: My nan dug up some stuff from her side of the family, don't remember much but I have the email somewhere. Grandpa has a sister named "Bubbles", or something like that. We're supposed to have ancestors from France, and the family has spread as far as Australia and the US (but we have a pretty common surname soooo idk)

Indonesian side: Don't know too much about my Indonesian side. My nan is probably not from the main island (Java) because her side of the family looks vaguely foreign. My grandpa was an accountant (I think, we don't talk about him much). My grandpa (nan remarried) is Dutch/Indonesian/Chinese mixed, and one of his siblings is an international title holder in some martial arts/badminton tournament. He organised and promoted Indonesian rock concerts.
      This sounds interesting! Have you ever been to Indonesia? Assuming not from what you've said but yeah. The sports and rock concerts thing sounds cool :eek:

(Original post by homeland.lsw)
      Axis
      obviously, after ww2 bulgaria became a "communist state" but his position in the army meant that our family had a very comfortable lifestyle
      Ah okay! I can imagine

(Original post by Reshyna)
      Electronic engineering ( just like my daddy)
      Ooh! I almost did engineering, would've been civil though. Electronics make my head spin :lol: I'd imagine it'd be really interesting if you do understand them though. Good luck!

(Original post by PotassiumIodide3)
      I've been to the Czech Republic, where I was born (premature, my parents were visiting my grandparents in Prague), but none of the others. My grandma grew up in Ireland, but I've never even been there, despite the relatively short, cheap journey. I live just outside London, so my relatives all prefer to visit us than for us to visit them, especially as I know my way around the city so well :/
      I was almost born in switzerland for the same reason Never been to Ireland either, always wanted to but never got round to it. That makes sense with the family thing- I guess that's the one advantage(?) to living in the middle of nowhere, people aren't interested! Works both ways, can be nice to visit different places but bit of a pain sometimes when don't have a choice.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
      I don't know much about my family's history personally, but it's something I'd like to look into in future, especially on my mum's side of the family, where I haven't met any of them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 0to100)
      My gran on my mum's side apparently was a prostitute. And she has this wee collection of fur and leather (not sure if good quality) coats that she wants to give to my sister and I said I don't want her to dress like a prostitute and my mum literally almost killed me. But I know I'm the reasonable one here.

I also have an uncle who marched in 77 in Lewisham against Pakistani immigration but he's a scum bag rotting in prison.

*Idk if this what you meant by family history or not.
      Yes, this very much is family history! We've all got some unsavoury characters in our family histories - I think that's what makes them interesting.

ReputationRep:
      As far as I know, my family has mostly German and Austrian roots.

While I'm still looking into it, I've found that it is very possible that my great-great grandfather was a one of the officials in Emperor Franz Joseph's court, while the rest of my family is reported to have lived in Berlin and Potsdam at that time. Lastly, there is some evidence and family rumor that certain members emigrated to New England some time in either late 1800's or early 1900's.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Reality Check)
      Yes, this very much is family history! We've all got some unsavoury characters in our family histories - I think that's what makes them interesting.
      how is everyone becoming a community assistant

ReputationRep:
      how is everyone becoming a community assistant
      By applying...

ReputationRep:
      ...I didn't say how DOES one become a ca.

I said how IS everyone becoming one.

(Original post by Reality Check)
      By applying...

ReputationRep:
      ...I didn't say how DOES one become a ca.

I said how IS everyone becoming one.
      ooh, ok...

ReputationRep:
      A fair amount from one side of the family (back to 1685) but one side is a mystery.
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Yeah-my family history is insane.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by KingHarold)
      A fair amount from one side of the family (back to 1685) but one side is a mystery.
      But not quite back to King Harold yet?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.