Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you know about your family history? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know my mum's side all came from Ireland. Some went of to the US (Pennsylvania)

My mum's uncle was Lex Barker (the original Tarzan).

My mum's dad ran away with Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie (aka Agatha Christie)

And one of her ancestors took part in the last gun duel in Ireland.

On my dad's side:

Full of Italian immigrants who fled the Mussolini regime to England.

His dad was the captain of the Skylark, a boat that helped injured US troops from the Normandy beaches.

His mum's sister was caught up in the Holocaust.

ReputationRep:
    When I was 12 I started researching my family history, and by the time I was 13 I'd built a tree with over 1000 people on it though. I could really only go up to early 1800 as most records before then require purchasing it.

So at 12 I was learning how to search for records from England, Scotland (granted it's much harder to do in England), Ireland, Australia, America and even attempting to get some of our African records.

If people have any questions about how to get started / how to find out more (I used nearly every resource that I could to find people) feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morganblue68)
    When I was 12 I started researching my family history, and by the time I was 13 I'd built a tree with over 1000 people on it though. I could really only go up to early 1800 as most records before then require purchasing it.

So at 12 I was learning how to search for records from England, Scotland (granted it's much harder to do in England), Ireland, Australia, America and even attempting to get some of our African records.

If people have any questions about how to get started / how to find out more (I used nearly every resource that I could to find people) feel free to ask
    I'd love to find out more about my family

How would recommend I start?

ReputationRep:
    Some members fought under the command of William Slim against the Japanese and other, more distantly related members were in North Africa agaisnt Rommel, who they said was an excellent military man with great morals. Indians dont have that much history due to the poor record keeping so its really hard to go back more than a couple generations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    I'd love to find out more about my family

How would recommend I start?
    Hey!

Okay, I'm afraid that I don't know how to go about searching for Italian records, but I can help with the Irish side :P You might be aware that quite a few Irish records have been burned, but for more modern records they have been uploaded online, or the information from it has.

1) I'd recommend checking out this website - I came across it in my studies and although it's not a direct records service, it gives a good introduction to things.

2) I started off my research initially by becoming a member on findmypast.co.uk and Ancestry.co.uk as they have access to quite a few records, and a growing Irish collection too. However, when it comes to online records you have to be sure it's the right one - people might have the same name and mother's name, but they might have lived somewhere else in Ireland.

3) To combat the problem posed in 2), Speak to as many relatives as possible - That way you'll be in a better position to start, and you'll have an idea of not only where the people lived in Ireland, but more about who they were, what they did etc.

4) Do you live in Ireland? If so you might be able to go to local parish record offices and see what handwritten records they might have there.

5) Somewhere really handy to go is a records office / family history centre. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the area that you are from, but sometimes they have membership to websites which you wouldn't be able to just search on your computer, and by going there you can see more records

6) If you were thinking about keeping record of all of this, use an app. They're reliable, the tree can be uploaded to internet, and it wows the older generation when you use it for family history.

Hope this helps in some way? I haven't done it for a while now because of A levels etc, but it was a really nice hobby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Yeah-my family history is insane.
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been interested in knowing where my family is from. I already know that my mum's side were slaves taken from Ghana and somehow ended up in Jamaica, and my dad's side migrated from England or Ireland to America. I probably won't know anything else but one of genetics tests would be cool...

ReputationRep:
    My late grandma's parents were wealthy nomads in the Tibetan grasslands. They had to leave it all when they fled to India away from the Chinese govt.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RedManc)
    Same.
    A relative traced my Dad's side back to the 1500's, where apparently we were loaded. Come the 1800's and we were destitute lol.

ReputationRep:
    A relative traced my Dad's side back to the 1500's, where apparently we were loaded. Come the 1800's and we were destitute lol.
    You remind me of Danny Dyer
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/da...-a3294481.html
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    You remind me of Danny Dyer
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/da...-a3294481.html
    Danny the geezer.

ReputationRep:
    Danny the geezer.
    Hang on a moment, you might be related to Danny Dyer. He might be your long lost cockney relative.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I know a reasonable amount of my living (legal) family; however, my mum is adopted and my dad is half adopted, so I've got no clue about my biological lineage.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Hang on a moment, you might be related to Danny Dyer. He might be your long lost cockney relative.
    Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe.
    I knew you were a Southerner. Who lives in Chesterfield..
    Spoiler:
    Show

It's a joke
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I knew you were a Southerner. Who lives in Chesterfield..
    Spoiler:
    Show

It's a joke

@: Argh

Spoiler:
    Show

I know.

ReputationRep:
    I can trace mine back to 12thc wales. I am descended from the princes of wales. Meeting plenty of interesting characters along the way
    Mostly lords, high ranking courtiers
    I am a cousin of the current lord st Oswald
    ( would love to know where our share of the money went)
    Whilst there are so many interesting stories involved by far the saddest is that part of the family emigrated to USA in 18thc subsequently running plantations and owning slaves. I have their wills. It's awfully sad
    ( but not my fault before you have a go)

ReputationRep:
    I remember my aunt telling me one of my great great grandmothers was accused of being a witch in India

And from my maternal side, one of my grandmas was a dancer who used to "entertain" foreigners who came to Brazil for the rainforest and the rubber.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's ancestors stole a shirt off a line and were deported to America, where they founded a long line of hillbillies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.