Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if not being good at the Maths Challenge (e.g. Intermediate or Senior) means I'm probably not good enough to get into Cambridge to study Maths?
    This is because I generally get full marks in all my tests and if I get over 95 UMS in all modules, do well in STEP and do well at the interview will they really care how well I did in the maths challenge?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    From what I know they say STEP has a high correlation with performance at Cambridge so if you do well at interviews and STEP I don't think they would mind
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlsenesque)
    I was wondering if not being good at the Maths Challenge (e.g. Intermediate or Senior) means I'm probably not good enough to get into Cambridge to study Maths?
    This is because I generally get full marks in all my tests and if I get over 95 UMS in all modules, do well in STEP and do well at the interview will they really care how well I did in the maths challenge?
    Thanks in advance
    STEP > anything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do maths at Cambridge you just need a polished CV and very relevant work experience. You can do the challenges but most of the challenges represent IQ tests or Asperger's tests. I'll send some questions from last year.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LisaNikita)
    If you want to do maths at Cambridge you just need a polished CV and very relevant work experience.
    Wut?

You can do the challenges but most of the challenges represent IQ tests or Asperger's tests. I'll send some questions from last year.
    Wut?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance

I got a silver in the maths challenge last year, and received an offer for maths

That being said, doing well in the maths challenges will definitely help with problem solving skills...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance
    if your no good at maths challenge you will be no good at maths in oxbridge
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    Andrew Wiles doesn't agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    Do you have any evidence to support this and if so please share. Also do you study maths at Cambridge if so how did you do in the maths challenge?

ReputationRep:
    Do most Cambridge students get to the BMO?

ReputationRep:
    Do they care if you don't do well at the maths challenge if excel in all other aspects? and is there a correlation between maths challenge success and success at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Is the math challenge more of a logic/problem solving test than maths?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Do most Cambridge students get to the BMO?
    It's not relevant.

Anyway, BMO2 has 100 students. There are approx 250 mathematicians accepted each year at Cambridge. So, no, most students don't get to (or even try to) BMO2.

Do they care if you don't do well at the maths challenge if excel in all other aspects? and is there a correlation between maths challenge success and success at Cambridge?
    Did you see my earlier replies? The correlation is with STEP, not BMO.

Is the math challenge more of a logic/problem solving test than maths?
    You can see past papers here:
    https://bmos.ukmt.org.uk/home/bmo.shtml

(Please don't post multiple questions seperately.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's not relevant.

Anyway, BMO2 has 100 students. There are approx 250 mathematicians accepted each year at Cambridge. So, no, most students don't get to (or even try to) BMO2.

Did you see my earlier replies?

(Please don't post multiple questions seperately.)
    Do most get to BMO1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    That's the BMO, not the Maths Challenge. The BMO is taken only by those who score highly in the Maths Challenge, which is multiple choice and entered by a large number of A-level mathematicians. The standard is not comparable at all.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    That's the BMO, not the Maths Challenge. The BMO is taken only by those who score highly in the Maths Challenge, which is multiple choice and entered by a large number of A-level mathematicians. The standard is not comparable at all.
    I know, OP seems "obsessed" with BMO.

Edit: ok so here's the Maths Challenge
    http://shop.ukmt.org.uk/downloads
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Do most get to BMO1?
    No idea.

But it doesn't matter if you don't.

STEP is the key.

ReputationRep:
    Would reaching BMO means a higher chance of getting an interview with Cambridge?
    And doing well in the interview would get you and offer requiring you to do well in STEP.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PigBag)
    Would reaching BMO means a higher chance of getting an interview with Cambridge?
    And doing well in the interview would get you and offer requiring you to do well in STEP.
    They interview approx 80% of applicants.

They offer approx half of them.

Half of those offer holders meet the Offer (largely because STEP is hard).

ReputationRep:
    I heard that maths is one of the only subjects Cambridge "over offers" on because of STEP, is that true?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.