Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is student satisfaction so low for Linguistics at Cambridge? (50%?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    The linguistics undergraduate course at Cambridge seems to have a very low student satisfaction of 50% according to Which University (or 54% depending on which percentage you use). This is very low compared to the student satisfaction for other linguistics courses (including at Oxford) which are in the 85-100% range.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is? It's of concern to me as I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for linguistics next year, when I'll be in Year 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armyoctopus)
    The linguistics undergraduate course at Cambridge seems to have a very low student satisfaction of 50% according to Which University (or 54% depending on which percentage you use). This is very low compared to the student satisfaction for other linguistics courses (including at Oxford) which are in the 85-100% range.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is? It's of concern to me as I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for linguistics next year, when I'll be in Year 13.
    I don't know why, but maybe a bit of reading around may give you some ideas and also allow you to decide if you'd find the course interesting. Some people would have enjoyed it - you may be one of them. I find that the first year reading lists are very useful. A number of unis also include some first year assignments. Here's a link to a Cambridge one I just found. You may be able to pull up some from Oxford, UCL too.

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/und...nguistics.html

It also goes on with this, which gives you an in depth rundown on the course.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...Course-Outline

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same question for a long time! I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Linguistics a year after you : )

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.