Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi all,

I was just writing to ask if it is realistically possible after achieving the ACA within a Big 4 firm to transfer to a Front Office role at an investment Bank? Does anyone have any experience of this?

1. I wanted to ask what Front office IB roles I could feasibly transfer to from Audit, I have heard Equity Research being mentioned. Is there any other FO IB roles that I could move into?

2. I haven't started my 3 year ACA position at the Big 4 firm, but would would you guys suggest that I need to do throughout that time in order to move into a FO role like ER at an IB?

-Do I need to undertake the CFA level 1 examinations?
    -Do I need to transfer to Transaction Advisory Services (TAS) role within the Big 4 after I achieve the ACA, or is it possible for me to transfer whilst an Audit trainee during the 3 year and ask to be moved.
    -Or would it be better to transfer to Corporate Finance rather than TAS, and could I do this during my 1st year as an Audit trainee or would they be relunctant to let this happen.

Thanks to anyone that gets back to me in advance, I'm grateful for any input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamChaser111)
    Hi all,

I was just writing to ask if it is realistically possible after achieving the ACA within a Big 4 firm to transfer to a Front Office role at an investment Bank? Does anyone have any experience of this?

1. I wanted to ask what Front office IB roles I could feasibly transfer to from Audit, I have heard Equity Research being mentioned. Is there any other FO IB roles that I could move into?

2. I haven't started my 3 year ACA position at the Big 4 firm, but would would you guys suggest that I need to do throughout that time in order to move into a FO role like ER at an IB?

-Do I need to undertake the CFA level 1 examinations?
    -Do I need to transfer to Transaction Advisory Services (TAS) role within the Big 4 after I achieve the ACA, or is it possible for me to transfer whilst an Audit trainee during the 3 year and ask to be moved.
    -Or would it be better to transfer to Corporate Finance rather than TAS, and could I do this during my 1st year as an Audit trainee or would they be relunctant to let this happen.

Thanks to anyone that gets back to me in advance, I'm grateful for any input.
    I can't answer everything here but all I will say is this...

I think the general answer is yes.

I know for sure Rothschild & Co actively hire ACA people from the Big 4 into their IBD (Global Advisory) roles. In fact, they like the ACA a lot because of the technical aptitude those people bring. However, whilst I've seen a lot of people at Rothz with the ACA, they almost exclusively come from Corporate Finance/Transaction Services/TAS backgrounds at the Big 4. Audit is quite rare from what I've seen.

I wouldn't bother with the CFA unless you're dead set on Equity Research. You could find it a bit much alongside the ACA. I would ask to be moved to CF/TAS at the earliest opportunity or even apply to do it at another Big 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    I can't answer everything here but all I will say is this...

I think the general answer is yes.

I know for sure Rothschild & Co actively hire ACA people from the Big 4 into their IBD (Global Advisory) roles. In fact, they like the ACA a lot because of the technical aptitude those people bring. However, whilst I've seen a lot of people at Rothz with the ACA, they almost exclusively come from Corporate Finance/Transaction Services/TAS backgrounds at the Big 4. Audit is quite rare from what I've seen.

I wouldn't bother with the CFA unless you're dead set on Equity Research. You could find it a bit much alongside the ACA. I would ask to be moved to CF/TAS at the earliest opportunity or even apply to do it at another Big 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Basically this but a couple of edits - don't try moving group until at least part qualified but you will likely need TAS/CF to transfer to an M&A desk. (though not many people try to move from audit straight to IBD so hard to actually guage the difficulty - though I'd imagine it's harder)

For ER a direct move from audit is doable. Don't bother with CFA - the ACA is tough enough as is, you'll struggle, even if you are a top top student and you'll likely get little or no support from your firm

Edit: Both will likely require all first time passes, I'm aware that it is a requirement with Rothschild. DreamChaser111

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.