Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This might sound like a silly question but I really want to be a vet. I've done 2 weeks work experience at two of the top equine vet practices (cause they're only like 5 minutes away from me haha) and I've just seen surgery and more surgery. I just don't want to spend my life in threatre. Could anyone tell me how many surgery aspects there are at university and what options there are to do afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit I always thought equine vets were born, not made!

ReputationRep:
    I guess if you've been to top equine hospitals you may have seen a higher surgical caseload than normal. Maybe you're saying you want to be out more doing visits rather than in theatre.

I'm not particularly interested in horses and don't want to be an equine vet but having seen practice with a few Mixed Practices some non-surgical stuff I know the horse vets do were vaccinations, worming, castrations, dentistry, diagnostic imaging, endoscopy, fertility work, equine sports medicine and lameness investigations.

Hopefully someone more horsey will be along soon! :lol:
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what your job is in the equine vet industry

If you're an first opinion vet then no, the amount of surgery you do will be low as an equine vet; other than castrations and stitch ups.
    If you're working in a hospital as an intern, then you will often be an anaesthetist if there is a surgery on (hospital dependent).

Then there are two types of full time hospital staff - medics and surgeons (either resident or senior staff). Obviously if you're a surgeon your life is going to be around lameness, dental and colic surgeries (amongst the occasional other). Whilst medics won't see any surgery, spending their time doing medicine cases

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Depends on what your job is in the equine vet industry

If you're an first opinion vet then no, the amount of surgery you do will be low as an equine vet; other than castrations and stitch ups.
    If you're working in a hospital as an intern, then you will often be an anaesthetist if there is a surgery on (hospital dependent).

Then there are two types of full time hospital staff - medics and surgeons (either resident or senior staff). Obviously if you're a surgeon your life is going to be around lameness, dental and colic surgeries (amongst the occasional other). Whilst medics won't see any surgery, spending their time doing medicine cases

Hope that helps
    Yeah that really helped. I would obviously want to do the medicine side of things. Do u know what type of things that involves

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lwescott)
    I guess if you've been to top equine hospitals you may have seen a higher surgical caseload than normal. Maybe you're saying you want to be out more doing visits rather than in theatre.

I'm not particularly interested in horses and don't want to be an equine vet but having seen practice with a few Mixed Practices some non-surgical stuff I know the horse vets do were vaccinations, worming, castrations, dentistry, diagnostic imaging, endoscopy, fertility work, equine sports medicine and lameness investigations.

Hopefully someone more horsey will be along soon! :lol:
    Haha yeah. Equine sports medicine sounds like the kind of thing I want to do tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.