Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to Show that X^4+5x^3+6x^2-4x-8= (x^2+x-2)(x^2+4x+4)

but I am not too sure how to go about doing this- I was thinking of doing long division and then obtaining a polynomial with 3rd degree?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralEssence)
    I need to Show that X^4+5x^3+6x^2-4x-8= (x^2+x-2)(x^2+4x+4)

but I am not too sure how to go about doing this- I was thinking of doing long division and then obtaining a polynomial with 3rd degree?
    If the question does say "show" then all you need to do is expand the right-hand-side and show it equals the left.

It would be good if you post a picture of the question or post the question exactly as you see it (if you haven't already).

ReputationRep:
    I need to Show that X^4+5x^3+6x^2-4x-8= (x^2+x-2)(x^2+4x+4) but I am not too sure how to go about doing this- I was thinking of doing long division and then obtaining a polynomial with 3rd degree?
    You could expand RHS. Or Look at the RHS find suitable factor e.g. (x-1) and use the factor theorem to show when x=1 f(x) is 0 then do algebraic division and repeating substituting in suitable values

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    If the question does say "show" then all you need to do is expand the right-hand-side and show it equals the left.

It would be good if you post a picture of the question or post the question exactly as you see it (if you haven't already).
    Hey!
    This is the question, and I am asked to prove from left to right, i.e. do the factorisation of some sort such that I may obtain the RHS

Show x^4 + 5x^3 + 6x^2 −4x−8 = (x^2 + x−2)(x^2 + 4x + 4). Hence sketch the curve y = f(x)where f(x) = x4 +5x3 +6x2−4x−8, showing all points of interest.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    This is the question, and I am asked to prove from left to right, i.e. do the factorisation of some sort such that I may obtain the RHS

Show x^4 + 5x^3 + 6x^2 −4x−8 = (x^2 + x−2)(x^2 + 4x + 4). Hence sketch the curve y = f(x)where f(x) = x4 +5x3 +6x2−4x−8, showing all points of interest.
    As I said before, since you're given the factorisation and are asked to "show", you just need to expand the brackets and show that this is equal to the polynomial.

ReputationRep:
    so everyone else has already answered ur question BUT,
    if the exams come and ur stuffed while trying to answer one just go with the good ol' factor theorem. Find what x values give f(x)=0, -ve value is the factor, find as many simple ones as you can and you either multiply some brackets or re-arrange a couple. (4 brackets has more than 1 configuration therefore multiple [equivalent] quadratic factors)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon17)
    You could expand RHS. Or Look at the RHS find suitable factor e.g. (x-1) and use the factor theorem to show when x=1 f(x) is 0 then do algebraic division and repeating substituting in suitable values
    Yeah, this was what I have been trying to do

I managed to get x^3+6x^2+12x+8

then, I continued- I found that x-2 was a factor of the above result.

I did long division and obtained x^2+4x+4

-----------------------------------

EDIT:

Oh, guys, I found the result! sorry- I multiplied the factors (x-1)(x-2) out and got x^2+x-2

then pairing up with x^2+4x+4

would give me the answer.

Thanks to the contributers!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.