Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opt-out organ donations Watch

• View Poll Results: Should England change to an opt-out system?
    Yes
    73.68%
    No
    26.32%
    Not sure
    0%

ReputationRep:
    So for the past year Wales have had an opt-out system for organ donations after death, there is now a campaign for England to follow suit. Do you think this is ethically and religiously ok? Are there problems with this? How would you feel about having such a system within England?

ReputationRep:
    If a person has religious and ethical issues then they are free to opt out. But in my opinion the chance to save someone's life is far more important. That being said, I do understand why people may want to be buried intact etc. but the opt-out system would be there for that reason.

Also a lot of people are willing to sign up to the register, they just don't get round to it/ don't want their family to know. The choice is there. I see no problems with the system.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely support an opt-out system. People have a tendency not to think about stuff like organ donation, or to forget to sign up for it even if they are interested. I think people who were against it would be more likely to take action to remove themselves, and as long as no one was being forced to take part who didn't wish to, then I don't see any huge issues.

ReputationRep:
    The government should not assume ownership of human bodies, totally disagree.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    The government should not assume ownership of human bodies, totally disagree.
    Care to explain why? :holmes:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    We already had this discussion in the MHoC...

ReputationRep:
    I'd be in favour of opt-out but only if I could produce a 'blacklist' of people I object to having my organs, no matter how remote the chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Care to explain why? :holmes:
    Collective good should not take precedence over the principles of personal liberty and the idea that you own your own body. It astonishes me that we have a generation of trendy liberals who support this draconian measure.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Collective good should not take precedence over the principles of personal liberty and the idea that you own your own body. It astonishes me that we have a generation of trendy liberals who support this draconian measure.
    Once you die you don't own anything. It's hardly draconian to make use of what is essentially spare parts. And in any case, there will always be an opt-out, so personal liberty is not affected.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    I'd be in favour of opt-out but only if I could produce a 'blacklist' of people I object to having my organs, no matter how remote the chance.
    Who would you 'blacklist'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Once you die you don't own anything. It's hardly draconian to make use of what is essentially spare parts. And in any case, there will always be an opt-out, so personal liberty is not affected.
    Allow me to rephrase, it's wrong that the government should be allowed to assume ownership of dead bodies unless you give them specific notification otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Who would you 'blacklist'?
    Prisoners, as well as people like Tony Blair, who I wouldn't want having a longer life at my expense.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Allow me to rephrase, it's wrong that the government should be allowed to assume ownership of dead bodies unless you give them specific notification otherwise.
    Why though? Someone has to assume ownership, what's so wrong about it being the government/NHS? There's plenty of other things the government assume about you already, it doesn't mean they're infringing on your rights, if you can even accept that a person has the same rights after they've kicked the bucket.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Prisoners, as well as people like Tony Blair, who I wouldn't want having a longer life at my expense.
    Ah okay.

ReputationRep:
    This is why you can opt-out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Why though? Someone has to assume ownership, what's so wrong about it being the government/NHS?
    Do they? Why? "Greater good" is not an adequate answer because, while I totally get where you'd be coming from if you said that, it doesn't actually answer why you think that someone has to assume ownership of parts of someone elses' body.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Do they? Why? "Greater good" is not an adequate answer because, while I totally get where you'd be coming from if you said that, it doesn't actually answer why you think that someone has to assume ownership of parts of someone elses' body.
    What do you intend to do, just chuck corpses on a heap somewhere? Someone has to take care of disposing the body. I really don't see what the enormous objection is to having a few organs harvested before you incinerate/bury the remainder, especially since it's entirely optional.

ReputationRep:
    I am absolutely in favour of presumed consent. There is good evidence from many different countries that have introduced this system that it increases organ donation rates (Rithalia et al., 2009). We already know that there is a severe shortage of organs in the NHS, with long waiting lists. The best part of presumed consent is that you can opt-out if you're strongly against becoming a donor for whatever reason, so I really don't see why it hasn't been introduced sooner.

Link to Rithalia's review: http://www.bmj.com/content/338/bmj.a3162

ReputationRep:
    I voted no, because it would just be one more bit of paperwork I'd have to fill out.

ReputationRep:
    Who gets your organs after you are done with them should be a matter of medical neccesity, decided by qualified doctors, not by your prejudice.

If we are to consider your organs as possessions that you own during your life, why should you continue to own them after your life has ended? Should other forms of property work the same way?

Either way, I don't see that the government does take any meaningful level of ownership of donated organs. At best, the donor places them with the government/NHS in trust until such time as they can be given to another person.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.