Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opt-out organ donations Watch

• View Poll Results: Should England change to an opt-out system?
    Yes
    73.68%
    No
    26.32%
    Not sure
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea because if people are bothered they'll take the time to opt out I don't see any issue in it at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Dez)
      Why though? Someone has to assume ownership, what's so wrong about it being the government/NHS? There's plenty of other things the government assume about you already, it doesn't mean they're infringing on your rights, if you can even accept that a person has the same rights after they've kicked the bucket.
      Of something that belongs in the ground?

If people want us to grow burgers in a lab, we can learn to grow kidneys in a lab too.

(Original post by MathsNinja)
        So for the past year Wales have had an opt-out system for organ donations after death, there is now a campaign for England to follow suit. Do you think this is ethically and religiously ok? Are there problems with this? How would you feel about having such a system within England?
        Who gives a flying **** about religion? If someone's delusions mean that I die needlessly, then they can rot in hell, if it exists.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by MathsNinja)
        So for the past year Wales have had an opt-out system for organ donations after death, there is now a campaign for England to follow suit. Do you think this is ethically and religiously ok? Are there problems with this? How would you feel about having such a system within England?
        Anyone who has any objection can just opt out

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by mojojojo101)
        Who gets your organs after you are done with them should be a matter of medical neccesity, decided by qualified doctors, not by your prejudice.
        On the contrary, it's a post-judice, I'd opt out unless I have assurances my organs won't go to a convicted rapist/paedophile/murderer. Would you seriously want someone like Mark Bridger having a longer life at your expense?

ReputationRep:
        I disagree with this.The government is essentially assuming that they own peoples bodies.That they can just use other people's bodies and organs to save other people.Maybe I don't give a damn if other people need organs.Maybe I do.But either way it is my right to choose whether to gift someone with an organ.I view my body as my own and this system reeks of totalitarianism.People are not just things that can be used to prop up other sections of society. The old system was fine.It just needs more awareness.People will donate of their own accord if you raise awareness enough.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
        On the contrary, it's a post-judice, I'd opt out unless I have assurances my organs won't go to a convicted rapist/paedophile/murderer. Would you seriously want someone like Mark Bridger having a longer life at your expense?
        You're marking out someone who has committed a crime as forever unworthy of your organs, you're making a judgment on the value of their life while knowing only 1 of many factors.

No one is suggesting that someone else's life, criminal or otherwise, would have their life extended 'AT YOUR EXPENSE', you'd have been dead significantly before such a decision was ever made.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Dez)
        What do you intend to do, just chuck corpses on a heap somewhere? Someone has to take care of disposing the body. I really don't see what the enormous objection is to having a few organs harvested before you incinerate/bury the remainder, especially since it's entirely optional.
        The bottom line is selfish feeling. Not that I can really speak for anyone else, but I realise that, practically speaking, my organs are of absolutely no use to me once I die. And, morally speaking, it'd be beneficial to society as a whole if someone else could make use of them.

Nonetheless, despite that rationalisation of why I'm wrong to feel this way, I still feel that my organs are mine and shouldn't be taken from me after death. There's no rationalisation to this whatsoever, and my position will no doubt soften as I get older. And to be quite honest with you, if I could be bothered to sign up for organ donation, I probably would. I'd be a victory of rationality over baseless feeling.

However, I still can't help but think that this presumed consent isn't a good thing (not because I'm torn between keeping what's mine as mine and sharing it around, but because it shouldn't be someone elses' choice what happens to my body after I die. Or rather, more to the point, I shouldn't have to do anything to, to use a slightly hyperbolic phrase, take back what's mine; the choice of what to give should be mine to bear, I shouldn't have to be made to have the choice to take it back after someone else has made the choice to take it from me).
        • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tootles)
        If people want us to grow burgers in a lab, we can learn to grow kidneys in a lab too.
        Maybe we can, but it's going to be decades before the science is mature enough for complete artificial organ transplants to be a reality.

(Original post by Drunk Punx)
        The bottom line is selfish feeling. Not that I can really speak for anyone else, but I realise that, practically speaking, my organs are of absolutely no use to me once I die. And, morally speaking, it'd be beneficial to society as a whole if someone else could make use of them.

Nonetheless, despite that rationalisation of why I'm wrong to feel this way, I still feel that my organs are mine and shouldn't be taken from me after death. There's no rationalisation to this whatsoever, and my position will no doubt soften as I get older. And to be quite honest with you, if I could be bothered to sign up for organ donation, I probably would. I'd be a victory of rationality over baseless feeling.

However, I still can't help but think that this presumed consent isn't a good thing (not because I'm torn between keeping what's mine as mine and sharing it around, but because it shouldn't be someone elses' choice what happens to my body after I die. Or rather, more to the point, I shouldn't have to do anything to, to use a slightly hyperbolic phrase, take back what's mine; the choice of what to give should be mine to bear, I shouldn't have to be made to have the choice to take it back after someone else has made the choice to take it from me).
        Assuming you own a house, or any possessions really, you would need to specify in your will where those things went to after your death. Otherwise, they'd be distributed by the state (intestacy law). If you consider your organs to be owned as well, then they too need to be bequeathed appropriately, if you don't want them to simply go to the most reasonable benefactor.

ReputationRep:
        I think it should be opt in

As above, right to your own body, etc.,

But if I was in eg a car crash, I'd rather them focus on saving me for my life than to work to save my organs for someone else. Selfish, yes, but. There goes

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Dez)
        Assuming you own a house, or any possessions really, you would need to specify in your will where those things went to after your death. Otherwise, they'd be distributed by the state (intestacy law). If you consider your organs to be owned as well, then they too need to be bequeathed appropriately, if you don't want them to simply go to the most reasonable benefactor.
        Depends how we define "ownership". Organs are intrinsically owned by someone, whereas material possession are not, so I'm not sure that's an exact comparison to make. But I see your point nonetheless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.