Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamChaser111)
    Thanks for your advice man greatly appreciated, just two follow up questions

What is the valuations department? is it the same as Transaction Advisory Services?

When you say transfer to the corporate finance division, when exactly can I do this, during the first year of my trainee position or after I have completed the ACA?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions.
    Opportunity is usually available just before qualification, but you do need to network internally to make it more likely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamChaser111)
    Why is that? is it simply because of the skill set that you develop from doing audit, or is it due to the negative connotations with tax, the fact that you will be viewed as being part of tax and you are pigeonholed.

Also thanks for your advice man, it's much appreciated.
    Audit gives you a better skill set which is more relevant to investment banking/equity research because you're analysing companies, while tax doesn't give you any skills that will allow to change careers to investment banking or the like.

ReputationRep:
    What are bonuses like for ER, be it in a BB or HF vs IBD?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makrxx)
    What are bonuses like for ER, be it in a BB or HF vs IBD?
    lower than banking obvs. hf depends on p&l performance of your recommendations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    lower than banking obvs. hf depends on p&l performance of your recommendations

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it really that obvious lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Is it really that obvious lol
    yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah it really isn't for most of us
    Most people at the sixth form/uni stage will associate ER with 'investment banking' and would have no idea what it pays and would assume that's it's the same as banking. TBH it's not that much lower either so I doubt it's obvious to most of us that ER pays less
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Nah it really isn't for most of us
    Most people at the sixth form/uni stage will associate ER with 'investment banking' and would have no idea what it pays and would assume that's it's the same as banking. TBH it's not that much lower either so I doubt it's obvious to most of us that ER pays less
    ER can't generate revenue directly hence why bonus pools are lower

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.