Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am planning to do an OU degree over the next few years as the 'full uni experience' is something I dont think I could do for personal reasons. However I really want to get a degree in Psychology to lead me in a career of something relating to it. The OU offer Psychology, Psychology and counselling or Psychology and Law.
    I am most interested in BSc (Honours) Psychology and Law but its not a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD) nor does it make me eligible for Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) by the British Psychological Society (BPS). I am wanting to do a post grad degree in psychology something or other. Do you think if I took this course it would matter or should I be looking at the BPS credited degrees to do something in psych?

Would really appreciate some help on this as I have nobody else to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harlyo)
    Hi

I am planning to do an OU degree over the next few years as the 'full uni experience' is something I dont think I could do for personal reasons. However I really want to get a degree in Psychology to lead me in a career of something relating to it. The OU offer Psychology, Psychology and counselling or Psychology and Law.
    I am most interested in BSc (Honours) Psychology and Law but its not a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD) nor does it make me eligible for Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) by the British Psychological Society (BPS). I am wanting to do a post grad degree in psychology something or other. Do you think if I took this course it would matter or should I be looking at the BPS credited degrees to do something in psych?

Would really appreciate some help on this as I have nobody else to ask!
    Psychology and Law is a really random combination, it may look a bit confusing to employers.

It depends what career you want to do when you finish, but not having accreditation will mean that you will need to do a psychology conversion course if you change your mind in the future and want to apply to do training in one of the professional psychology areas.

You can still do a masters/phd in research psychology without a psychology degree, but again if you haven't even studied enough psychology at undergraduate to get accreditation then it looks really bad on the course (although this may not be something they would notice).

If you're not bothered about getting accreditation though, you can study an Open degree and just pick and choose any of the modules that interest you, and this could be tailored to your interest.If the OU was cheaper i'd consider doing that in my spare time, it looks really interesting!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.