Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ancient History advice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 doing A level English (lang and lit) History and Philosophy.

I want to study ancient history at university and want to know what type of work experience/reading I should be doing to improve my chances of getting an offer.

All of my gcses are A or A* apart from my Spanish gcse at a grade D (school messed me around, had very little support). Will this hinder my chances of getting an offer?

Thanks in advance.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to do any work experience, universities are only interested in your grades and your academic interests. It would be a good idea to read around your chosen subject, what aspects of Ancient History are you interested in? Universities normally include reading lists in their module descriptions (found in department websites), e.g http://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/sites/www.sp...y_Document.pdf - you may be asked questions about any books you mention in your personal statement, so make sure you only talk about books that truly interest you.

No, a D in Spanish will not hinder your chances of getting an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    You don't need to do any work experience, universities are only interested in your grades and your academic interests. It would be a good idea to read around your chosen subject, what aspects of Ancient History are you interested in? Universities normally include reading lists in their module descriptions (found in department websites), e.g http://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/sites/www.sp...y_Document.pdf - you may be asked questions about any books you mention in your personal statement, so make sure you only talk about books that truly interest you.

No, a D in Spanish will not hinder your chances of getting an offer.
    Thanks 😁, I am reading SPQR by Beard at the moment and it is amazing! I thought the GCSE may hinder if I am to learn languages such as Latin or Greek. Which I have picked up a bit from my reading anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.