Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

does anyone know how to find out where a number is calling from? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really know where to post this but I got a "threatening" text yesterday and the number is definitely fake because its a number from America and I have no friends or contacts in America, I tried to call the number on my friend's phone however as soon as we called it said "call ended" each time. I know it can't be anyone from america because of the information they know and have, so what i'm asking is, is it possible that they've used an american phone number from the UK and is there anyway I can find out who it is?

ReputationRep:
    Google it

ReputationRep:
    You can try typing the number into google? Sometimes it comes up with results... for example if it's a phishing scam.

If they're threatening you though, maybe try the police. You can never be too safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _princessxox)
    I didn't really know where to post this but I got a "threatening" text yesterday and the number is definitely fake because its a number from America and I have no friends or contacts in America, I tried to call the number on my friend's phone however as soon as we called it said "call ended" each time. I know it can't be anyone from america because of the information they know and have, so what i'm asking is, is it possible that they've used an american phone number from the UK and is there anyway I can find out who it is?
    It's possible to send texts online - and the number might show up as a foreign number then etc. Try googling the number. If it's an actual death/harm threat, the police will investigate it. If it's just mild bullying, they won't bother I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by song_han)
    You can try typing the number into google? Sometimes it comes up with results... for example if it's a phishing scam.

If they're threatening you though, maybe try the police. You can never be too safe.
    i've tried googling it already nothing comes up ive tried to reverse search it as well but nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    It's possible to send texts online - and the number might show up as a foreign number then etc. Try googling the number. If it's an actual death/harm threat, the police will investigate it. If it's just mild bullying, they won't bother I'm afraid.
    so they could be using a service online? its like blackmailing i guess but i cant go to the police with it aha id rather not, i just want to know who it is

ReputationRep:
    so they could be using a service online? its like blackmailing i guess but i cant go to the police with it aha id rather not, i just want to know who it is
    Yeah, it's possible, there are websites which allow you to send texts for free. So it's probably someone you know, who wants to remain anonymous. I'm afraid you won't be able to find out that person's identity, though, unless it's really serious and there's an actual police investigation.

ReputationRep:
    There's several apps that allow you to have a different number (usually American) and make call or texts… I assume that's what theyre using if so it'd be hard to find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Yeah, it's possible, there are websites which allow you to send texts for free. So it's probably someone you know, who wants to remain anonymous. I'm afraid you won't be able to find out that person's identity, though, unless it's really serious and there's an actual police investigation.
    It is serious enough to go to the police but i really want that to be a last resort, but thank you i'll try looking into it more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    There's several apps that allow you to have a different number (usually American) and make call or texts… I assume that's what theyre using if so it'd be hard to find out
    is there absolutely no way I could find out?

ReputationRep:
    is there absolutely no way I could find out?
    Its possible but you'd probably have to have access to an intelligence agency. If you traced the call which can be done fairly easily it'll just go to their servers, then finding out who's using their servers with that number would be the hard part

ReputationRep:
    Its possible but you'd probably have to have access to an intelligence agency. If you traced the call which can be done fairly easily it'll just go to their servers, then finding out who's using their servers with that number would be the hard part
    can i not get like a postcode or area code or anything like that?

ReputationRep:
    can i not get like a postcode or area code or anything like that?
    If you did it'd only trace to the US address

ReputationRep:
    i've tried googling it already nothing comes up ive tried to reverse search it as well but nothing
    forgot you were Nev Schulman lmao
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    There's no way to trace this unless you take it to the Police, that's all there is to it I'm afraid. Attempting to trace a number through any other means is not recommended. Considering you've done nothing wrong, I'd stop pursuing this and report them if you feel you have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pezisland37)
    forgot you were Nev Schulman lmao
    lmaooo

ReputationRep:
    If you did it'd only trace to the US address
    ah ok thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    There's no way to trace this unless you take it to the Police, that's all there is to it I'm afraid. Attempting to trace a number through any other means is not recommended. Considering you've done nothing wrong, I'd stop pursuing this and report them if you feel you have to.
    yeahh i might just do that that's what my friends have said I just don't want anyone ik getting in trouble if it was like a joke or something

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.