Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm super axious about a meeting I have with the head of my course about Academic Progress.

I had one of these meetings in semester 1 due to poor attendance because I was working full time and also live 30 miles from uni, after a late evening shift I often slept in. This lead to me receiving a fail in one of my modules, I passed all of my other modules in semester 1, but this one in particular I struggled with.

I've been given the opportunity to re-attempt the coursework and the exam for the module which i expected.

But two weeks into semester 2 I missed both lectures that the head of department takes (I know not a good start) although im now only working part time hours ive been to every other lecture except his (its the earliest one)

my question is, can I be "expelled" for poor attendance, I just get the feeling they are really pissed with me? I assumed if the situation was that bad there would be a a formal written warning first etc? after all it's only the one module I failed

ReputationRep:
    You can be taken off any course for poor attendance.

No offence but why work a full time job and do university at the same time? These are two things that should never mix and a lot of academic-focused universities discourage part time work completely but that isn't always an option rly

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to decide which is more important to you in the long term - the job or the course. I understand that you might have to work because of your financial situation but full-time work and an full-time university course are incompatible.

You can be asked to leave/removed from the course if your attendance is seriously below par. Sometimes attendance issues don't matter if you're strong academically, but this isn't the case. They probably won't 'kick you out', but you may well be asked to sign a study agreement which outlines the university's expectations of you (which will probably include an attendance requirement). If you break this agreement, then it could be grounds for removal.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by craig1992)
    Hi all,

I'm super axious about a meeting I have with the head of my course about Academic Progress.

I had one of these meetings in semester 1 due to poor attendance because I was working full time and also live 30 miles from uni, after a late evening shift I often slept in. This lead to me receiving a fail in one of my modules, I passed all of my other modules in semester 1, but this one in particular I struggled with.

I've been given the opportunity to re-attempt the coursework and the exam for the module which i expected.

But two weeks into semester 2 I missed both lectures that the head of department takes (I know not a good start) although im now only working part time hours ive been to every other lecture except his (its the earliest one)

my question is, can I be "expelled" for poor attendance, I just get the feeling they are really pissed with me? I assumed if the situation was that bad there would be a a formal written warning first etc? after all it's only the one module I failed

Look at the rules, but I expect they have discretion. You seem to be heading for disaster and wasting ten of thousands of £'s I would say you are on a good course to perform very poorly. He might issue you with a formal warning during the meeting. You have gotten yourself noticed for the wrong reasons.

I would have a careful think about whether you want to be there and how you are going to deal with the 30 mile distance plus working. You should have been thinking about this before you started. He could be sympathetic, but you are on dodgy ground.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, really helpful.

I was working full time because my flatmate decided he wanted to move out which was fine but terrible timing as I was half way through the first semester of second year. So I upped my hours to cover his part of the rent etc I had someone new move in which is why I dropped back down to part time hours.

It really is just the one module as the days for the lectures clashed with work. thanks for your replies, I would have thought the study agreement would be required first so I hope this is the case

would be harsh to ask me to leave for re sitting one module no?

ReputationRep:
    depends, if you're averaging decent grades across your other subjects then yes but if you're unperforming across the board then it's not such a stretch especially if you don't appear committed to your course

plenty of students make it to early lectures after nights out or late nights for various reasons so I think you need to work out a way to attend this lecture even if it leaves you tired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JooW)
    You can be taken off any course for poor attendance.

No offence but why work a full time job and do university at the same time? These are two things that should never mix and a lot of academic-focused universities discourage part time work completely but that isn't always an option rly
    I took the maximum student loan, which was still not enough to cover my rent. Without my parents help I wouldn't have been able to afford university. Not everyone is as lucky.
    • Very Important Poster

So what happened? Warning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speckle)
    I took the maximum student loan, which was still not enough to cover my rent. Without my parents help I wouldn't have been able to afford university. Not everyone is as lucky.
    I respect that completely, but there's no point paying 9k a year for a course you can't attend! D:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, really helpful.

I was working full time because my flatmate decided he wanted to move out which was fine but terrible timing as I was half way through the first semester of second year. So I upped my hours to cover his part of the rent etc I had someone new move in which is why I dropped back down to part time hours.

It really is just the one module as the days for the lectures clashed with work. thanks for your replies, I would have thought the study agreement would be required first so I hope this is the case

You need to ask your uni about that. Of course most universities allow retakes no matter the reason for you failing initially.

Really you should have spoken to student services about your extenuating circumstances because they could have either directed you to someone could help (e.g. finance who may have agreed to cover the extra rent from the discretionary fund which is what happened to me in a similar case) or allowed you to get permission to miss lectures and provide catch up materials.

I would talk to Student Services now anyway as they know your unis systems far better any of us will. For example, you may have broken a rule (at my uni you were only allowed to work for 20 hours a week max) which could on its own be grounds for disciplinary action. Attitudes towards attendence are very varied as well and your uni seems to take it particularly seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

The meeting went "okay" although my re sit for the coursework is due in April I went ahead and completed the work and handed it in the day after the meeting.

I wasn't given a warning instead I was told that they were seriously concerned because my grades have dropped since last year and of course failing the module made this worse. And unless I improve then further action will be considered.

My personal circumstances are what I can describe as "difficult" there is very very good reason I have to live 30 miles from uni and why I have to work too. I appreciate there are cases when students simply miss lectures for no good reason.

Despite the difficult situation I want my Degree, I'm the first person in my family to get to University. I think it's important to outline where I'm coming from I'm not playing with my loan money or my education. Hence why I panicked so much about these meetings.

I appreciate all the replies as I didn't really have anyone else to speak to about this. Thanks All!

ReputationRep:
    My personal circumstances are what I can describe as "difficult" there is very very good reason I have to live 30 miles from uni and why I have to work too. I appreciate there are cases when students simply miss lectures for no good reason.

Despite the difficult situation I want my Degree, I'm the first person in my family to get to University. I think it's important to outline where I'm coming from I'm not playing with my loan money or my education. Hence why I panicked so much about these meetings.
    Damn sounds tricky... Can you not just have them accept this and allow you to catch up on missed lectures in your own time, using the moodle or something?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.