Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA AS Geography 1 & 2 GEOG1 & GEOG2 - 16 & 19 May 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzahs99)
    How's Everyone feeling for this exam? Did unit 2 last year and got a C so hoping for higher this time cos unit 3 is looking very bad + Any predictions on the first section? Population or Rivers?
    The theme was rivers last year so it's going to be population this year.

ReputationRep:
    I wish it is Human population too however there has been 7 population papers and 6 physical papers so they might want to even out the papers so it's likely going to be physical again

ReputationRep:
    How's Everyone feeling for this exam? Did unit 2 last year and got a C so hoping for higher this time cos unit 3 is looking very bad + Any predictions on the first section? Population or Rivers?
    pattern shows its most likely population which easier as well as no os maps as they came up in 2015 and 2016.

ReputationRep:
    Population is most likely going off recent trends but overall there have been more population questions,,,,,

ReputationRep:
    If its population are population pyramids likely to come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillywren99)
    Did anyone else think the population 4 marker (comment on...) and the one after on economic impacts of ageing populations (both in reference to the Figure) were essentially the same question?
    Yeah! I felt like I already answered the 4 marker before I answered the one after!

ReputationRep:
    Went much better than Geog 1 :thumbsup:

Although triangular graphs :eek: and secondary data (although I did answer that question in the end)

ReputationRep:
    very nice exam

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone write for the changes in human population pie chart question and the economic implications of fertility rate questions?

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone write for the changes in human population pie chart question and the economic implications of fertility rate questions?
    South America and Europe and Oceania - population would decrease by 1-10%
    North America - increase by a few percent
    Asia - still the most populous continent but will decrease by about 20%
    Africa - grows by 20%

I swear the fertility question was to explain why the rates were higher not implications?

ReputationRep:
    I just described the changes, Africa increased in proportion by so and so percentage, Europe decreased in proportioned etc

Fertility rate I chose Japan, then I just talked about ageing population for the third time lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone talk about brazil for the population structure one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poetic Gamer)
    South America and Europe and Oceania - population would decrease by 1-10%
    North America - increase by a few percent
    Asia - still the most populous continent but will decrease by about 20%
    Africa - grows by 20%

I swear the fertility question was to explain why the rates were higher not implications?
    Yeah I wrote about lack of contraceptions and lack of educations for why the rates were higher. And the fact that some cultures and religions encourage more children and women may get married at a younger age so they have more time for children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luis99)
    I just described the changes, Africa increased in proportion by so and so percentage, Europe decreased in proportioned etc

Fertility rate I chose Japan, then I just talked about ageing population for the third time lol
    Japan was the triangular graph right? The chloropleth map was the fertility rate question

ReputationRep:
    Japan was the triangular graph right? The chloropleth map was the fertility rate question
    Correct. For Japan did anyone else talk about higher taxes to cover increasing amount of pensions, declining economydue to smaller workforce and reduced productivity, and grey pound etc.

Also, for causes of high fertility rates, will the need for labour for subsistence farming be a viable answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfkt1205)
    Correct. For Japan did anyone else talk about higher taxes to cover increasing amount of pensions, declining economydue to smaller workforce and reduced productivity, and grey pound etc.

Also, for causes of high fertility rates, will the need for labour for subsistence farming be a viable answer?
    For the japan question that exactly what i wrote except for the grey pound thats a good point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfkt1205)

I did japan and concentrated on the cost of increasing pensions (possibly resulting in a higher retirement age) and job blocking (possibly resulting in lower wages on average for young workers and higher youth unemployment)

For fertility rates i focused on the fact instability results in families wanting to have more children (for financial and social reasons) and that the causes of this could be disease, natural disasters or conflict (i also quickly mentioned lack of womens rights)

ReputationRep:
    For fertility rates talked about lack access to contraception, lack of education and the degree of emancipation of women in society.
    For Japan I talked about high demand for pensions and thus higher taxes needed to pay for this, which may reduce consumption in the economy and thus slow down economic growth. and also talked about the smaller size of the working age population also slowing down economic growth, amplified by the needs of some to come out of employment and act as unpaid careers for dependent elderly relatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AD490995)
    For fertility rates talked about lack access to contraception, lack of education and the degree of emancipation of women in society.
    For Japan I talked about high demand for pensions and thus higher taxes needed to pay for this, which may reduce consumption in the economy and thus slow down economic growth. and also talked about the smaller size of the working age population also slowing down economic growth, amplified by the needs of some to come out of employment and act as unpaid careers for dependent elderly relatives.
    Hahahahah do you do economics alevel ?

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone get for the percentages? I got 5.8% for Europe and then something like 39% for Africa and 44% for ASIA. I also got 26% for the triangle question

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.