Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm about to choose my GCSE options and I'm really nervous because I don't know what to choose. At my school it's chosen in year 8, to start in year 9. We have to do the two english's, maths, r.e and 3 sciences. But then we have to choose 3 options out of things like history, Spanish drama, music, art, food, p.e and then computer science, business stuff like that.
    In the future I wanna be a Court lawyer (barrister) and I feel it's neccesary to do history and Spanish. But I'm conflicted on my third choice !! I wanna be creative with my last, but don't enjoy any other creative tech but Art. I would take drama or music but drama isn't really an option at my school and music is out of the picture for me as I can't do both Spanish and music ( it's semi confusing). So for me, it kinda just comes down to art? People say it's too much work, but I'm the type that might just find excitement in the challenge, and I would prioritise my other subjects. I really do wanna do art, but as it's not important for my future I don't want it to damage my more important grades. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    i always complained about art gcse being too much work, but i kinda miss it now. its only really too much work if you fall behind, so just do the homework for when it's due and you'll be fine. art is a nice option for gcse as it gives you a break from thinking/working too hard and is quite relaxing during the lessons. if you want something creative and enjoy art then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasminglynne)
    i always complained about art gcse being too much work, but i kinda miss it now. its only really too much work if you fall behind, so just do the homework for when it's due and you'll be fine. art is a nice option for gcse as it gives you a break from thinking/working too hard and is quite relaxing during the lessons. if you want something creative and enjoy art then go for it!
    Oh that's good then I just needed some reassurance as I choose TOMORROW!!! Would you say art gcse took too much revision time off your other subjects? and what grade did you end up with xx

ReputationRep:
    ART WILL MAKE YOU STRESS and because it takes so much time you can either prioritise other sub. and get a B in art or get an A/A* (boundary v small and they want perfection) and feel bad because you could've revised more for Maths or other cores and secured those grades.
    Don't make the same mistake as me plz it would make me internally cry.. avoid it at all costs, trust me you'll be jealous of everyone not doing it. If there is no other choice, well good luck then haha! Just don't take fine art or textiles, photography/graphics is the best outta the bunch.

ReputationRep:
    If I could choose again, I wouldn't do Art. It was fine until year 11 and then we were forced to do an entire unit in a few months. Very stressful. Surprisingly uncreative - they don't care about expressing emotion or meaning much. You might have to do architecture. Involves more writing than you think, annotating your work and analysing artists. If you could, drama would be quite useful for a lawyer - lots of public speaking involved.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest art is just very stressful for me. Though all the students who manage to keep up with the work love it, so if you find you fall behind easily, then I wouldn't do art! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Dont invite that stress into your life boo. Just do you honey.

ReputationRep:
    A law school wouldn't look that deeply into whether you did a "creative" subject at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Take History-Spanish-Eng Lit

ReputationRep:
    Maths-History-Spanish

ReputationRep:
    I am in Year 11 at the moment, predicted all a*s and my mocks start next week so just a tad bit of pressure. As much as GCSE Art (im with AQA) has made me stress quite a bit with tearful breakdowns at some points because of deadlines and workload, it has been really rewarding. When i found out i got an a* in my mock exam it felt like all te stress had been worth it. I have enjoyed it so much tha I am considering taking it for A level. Whatever you do dont choose it because you think its an easy way out. There are quite a few people in my class who chose it because they thought it would be easy and have now gotten to the point where they cant be bothered anymore and therefore arent achieving their full potential. The workload is quite large and a lot of independent work (especially in year 11) is required but my school offers after school and lunchtime sessions which are free for alls up in the department but i guess it depends on your school. Another thing about art is comparing yourself with others. If you take it you must try and NOT compare yourself to others because it is simply about finding your strongest art technique and developing it further. Focusing on yourself and what elements of art you enjoy is key.

Sorry for the long paragraph but good luck in choosing your GCSEs. It isnt as much of a big deal as most teachers make it out to be. Just choose stuff you're interested in/enjoy and you will be fine. X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naex)
    Oh that's good then I just needed some reassurance as I choose TOMORROW!!! Would you say art gcse took too much revision time off your other subjects? and what grade did you end up with xx
    I don't think it took revision time off as the art exam is over a month before proper exams start, so by the end of april art is done and you can focus on other subjects for the real exams. I got an A* - somehow only dropped 2 UMS overall haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasminglynne)
    I don't think it took revision time off as the art exam is over a month before proper exams start, so by the end of april art is done and you can focus on other subjects for the real exams. I got an A* - somehow only dropped 2 UMS overall haha
    Woahhh that's amazing well done ! Definetly thinking of taking art, gonna think over the next two weeks then it's the deadline :-/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.