Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently started a new temporary job and so far it is going well.

I joined with a few other colleagues at the same time so I wasn't too overwhelmed by it all. The thing is, this job isn't overly difficult and the office is very diverse with a lot of young people - especially graduates (under 2 years). Because a lot of them are young and are in their early to mid 20s - I find it quite easy to relate to them.

Within the first few days I came across a person who was very confident and loves banter - but he often has a big mouth and twists words. He said that at team meetings new joiners have to stand up and sing a song or dance. I thought it was a great idea as essentially it is all about team building right? So I asked a lot of his friends in the office if you have to sing and they said well yes. So I bravely told the guy that I would sing out loud at the team meeting. Our boss asked us if we wanted to we could sing and to be fair I think the guy was laughing - so were some others - more on this later. I am a guy who sticks to my words so I bravely got up, walked towards the front and played the instrumentals on my phone. I sang for about 20 seconds and gave up and to my surprise and amazement - everyone was clapping. Even the guy who laughed looked a bit serious and clapped hard. It later became apparent that people usually duck out and that I had the balls of steel to go up and sing.

Every since then, people keep fist bumping me and apparently I have now become like a hot topic and center of attention at the office. I can feel the girls slyly smiling at me and what not.

But on a more serious note, is the fact that you keep getting fist bumped a sign of respect? Because last time, I unintentionally pissed a guy off (out of work - personal) and he fist bumped me on the way home - but he gave my friend a proper handshake

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? BUMP

ReputationRep:
    Looool I don't know why i laughed at your post. I guess he likes you now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Looool I don't know why i laughed at your post. I guess he likes you now?
    I thought that too but he keeps fist bumping me. I'm not used to someone fist bumping me a lot - it only started after I man'd up and sang

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.