Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Higher Physics for Medicine at Scottish Universities Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in S4 and I am studying 9 National 5s (Maths, English, PE, French, Drama, Modern Studies, Biology, Chemistry and Physics). I am in the process of choosing my five Highers for S5 and I have already decided on Maths, English, Biology and Chemistry as I want to study medicine at a Scottish university. However, I am undecided between Higher French and Higher Physics. I much prefer French but I am worried that not taking Higher Physics will put me at a disadvantage when applying for medicine. I would rather do French than put myself in a position to struggle with Physics if it is not necessary, however I would take Physics if it means I will be far more likely to get in. Can anyone please let me know whether taking Physics at Higher in S5 (meaning that I would be studying all three sciences at higher in S5) will be worthwhile? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I think doing French would be fine- as long as you have Biology, Chemistry and Maths you will not be disadvantaged at all. It's much better to do something you enjoy and get an A than potentially get a B in physics. Me and my friend are both applying for medicine this year, and she did Maths, Chemistry, Biology, French, and Art, and I did Maths, Chemistry, Human Biology, Physics and Music. I would say that Higher Physics is quite difficult, but my friend thinks French is ok so I would go for that option. It's much better to get all As and enjoy the subject, and none of the scottish universities are all that bothered about you doing Physics as long as you have the other sciences and maths. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I studied both higher french and higher physics this year and honestly felt that french was far less stressful and demanding overall - so would be a good option (as long as you are doing two other sciences and maths).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.