The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Car at uni

Does anyone have any idea whether it is worth taking a car? I've heard that you can easily become the local taxi service if you are not careful.
I was also wanting to know if anyone had any experience or info on how I would get to the Abbeydale Sports Centre without a car, as I am planning on playing A LOT of hockey.

Cheers
Hey mking1807!

As a former student at Hallam, I'd say it's not worth taking a car to uni. Everything is so easily accessible and in walking distance/short bus rides that you'll probably find you don't need it.

There's a few buses that go between the city centre and Abbeydale Sports Centre really frequently. You can get the 97/98 or the 24/25. Have a look on Google maps to check the distance. You could always try it out without a car and then if you decide you need it, you can always bring it later. You won't be driving to uni because the parking is really difficult around the city centre and you'd be paying heeps of cash every day to park in a big car park.

If you decide to bring it, you might find yourself being a taxi for everyone. I was definitely guilty of trying to get my flatmate to take me shopping to the big supermarkets and out to the Peaks etc but as long as you're firm, you don't HAVE to be the taxi for everyone. Just say no, or get people to pay you some petrol money in exchange for the ride... but know they can shop locally or get a bus out.

Hope that helps :smile: what are you looking to study? I played hockey at school and miss it so much. Are you part of a team?

Laura
(Hallam graduate) :biggrin:

Original post by mking1807
Does anyone have any idea whether it is worth taking a car? I've heard that you can easily become the local taxi service if you are not careful.
I was also wanting to know if anyone had any experience or info on how I would get to the Abbeydale Sports Centre without a car, as I am planning on playing A LOT of hockey.

Cheers
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
I went to view accommodation last week at Sheffield and in some accommodations there's only really limited spaces or it's super expensive. Union State had 9 spaces and they said that they're better being given to nurses (which I agree with) and The Forge charge something like £750 a year for a spot. Everything seems really easy to walk to 😊. What are you going to study?
Original post by eg1em
I went to view accommodation last week at Sheffield and in some accommodations there's only really limited spaces or it's super expensive. Union State had 9 spaces and they said that they're better being given to nurses (which I agree with) and The Forge charge something like £750 a year for a spot. Everything seems really easy to walk to 😊. What are you going to study?

You will find streets where you can park for free, but they'll always be a little bit of a walk to get to your car so it depends on whether that's worth it for you.

Laura :smile:
I wouldn't bother!

Trams and buses are very frequent.

Rwo of my first and second year flatmates took them and spent a ton on car parking and really didnt get the use out of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending