Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leg shaking caused by anxiety Watch

ReputationRep:
    I get quite bad leg shaking which is caused by my anxiety and in an exam yesterday it got insanely bad and my whole body like shakes to the extent someone thought i was having a seizure. It is not something I can simply stop. I have no way of controlling it. Any suggestions??
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you have no control whatsoever, then you might want to see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    If you have no control whatsoever, then you might want to see a doctor.
    I did they were useless reffered me to adult mental health services who said their list was too long for counselling so put me on a stress control course which is just telling me everything I already know :/. I've had counselling in school for the last yr and a half and that's done nothing....
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparky2016)
    I did they were useless reffered me to adult mental health services who said their list was too long for counselling so put me on a stress control course which is just telling me everything I already know :/. I've had counselling in school for the last yr and a half and that's done nothing....
    Did you see just the one gp? if so try a new one for a second opinion.

ReputationRep:
    You might want to try medication. And get back on that waiting list. Meds can alleivate symptoms but often will not solve the root causes. Perhaps your counselling isn't targetted enough or you aren't opening up ot challenging yourself enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    You might want to try medication. And get back on that waiting list. Meds can alleivate symptoms but often will not solve the root causes. Perhaps your counselling isn't targetted enough or you aren't opening up ot challenging yourself enough.
    I've seen a few gps who are all dead set against the medication for some reason and say they don't want me to hate them for the putting me on it so will not do it. I do try to open up as much as possible but I find half the time I don't know what causes me to feel anxious it's far too general

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Did you see just the one gp? if so try a new one for a second opinion.
    I've seen 3 😕

I've seen a few gps who are all dead set against the medication for some reason and say they don't want me to hate them for the putting me on it so will not do it. I do try to open up as much as possible but I find half the time I don't know what causes me to feel anxious it's far too general
    GPs don't like putting young people on medications, because of the potential side effects.

I'm wondering if there's perhaps something you don't want to talk about? Abusive or traumatic experiences. This can include bullying, neglectful/ abusive parents, sexual abuse etc.

Or perhaps you need to find another counsellor/ therapist who can help to better target your issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    GPs don't like putting young people on medications, because of the potential side effects.

I'm wondering if there's perhaps something you don't want to talk about? Abusive or traumatic experiences. This can include bullying, neglectful/ abusive parents, sexual abuse etc.

Or perhaps you need to find another counsellor/ therapist who can help to better target your issues.
    I have dealt with my fair share of unpleasant things that not all "kids " have or young adults but nothing too severe, yes I was bullied as a kid and both my grandparents died and mums health has been up and down the last few years but it's all things I've got over eventually. I haven't had anything too extreme such as abuse happen thankfully.

I have dealt with my fair share of unpleasant things that not all "kids " have or young adults but nothing too severe, yes I was bullied as a kid and both my grandparents died and mums health has been up and down the last few years but it's all things I've got over eventually. I haven't had anything too extreme such as abuse happen thankfully.
    Those three GPs probably didn't give you medication because efficacy and side effects in young people isn't as well known as in adults. The risk of suicide is certainly far higher when anti-depressants etc are given to under 25s. Perhaps your doctors were doing you a favour. Some are too quick to prescribe and hand them out like sweets.

Your tough childhood may be a factor in your anxiety. I think it's worth exploring, even if you don't think it is, if you haven't already. Most of the time, we think we know ourselves but we don't. And again, you might want to find a new therapist if you are at a standstill wiht your current one. Perhaps he or she is very good. The individual therapist does matter, and also the type of therapy they use. I've been with mediocre therapists and very good therapists. I didn't make much progress with the former. Go see your GP and ask to be put on a waiting list or whatever.

Those three GPs probably didn't give you medication because efficacy and side effects in young people isn't as well known as in adults. The risk of suicide is certainly far higher when anti-depressants etc are given to under 25s. Perhaps your doctors were doing you a favour. Some are too quick to prescribe and hand them out like sweets.

Your tough childhood may be a factor in your anxiety. I think it's worth exploring, even if you don't think it is, if you haven't already. Most of the time, we think we know ourselves but we don't. And again, you might want to find a new therapist if you are at a standstill wiht your current one. Perhaps he or she is very good. The individual therapist does matter, and also the type of therapy they use. I've been with mediocre therapists and very good therapists. I didn't make much progress with the former. Go see your GP and ask to be put on a waiting list or whatever.
    Perhaps he or she isn't very good I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps he or she isn't very good I mean.
    I guessed thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.