Am i just too slow and bad at retaining and applying knowledge!

Watch
Yusuf.3
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
There was a science test today and i started to revise 3 days ago, with being told 7 days ago. I was making a spider diagram on each page of the book to summarise all my points and if i overthinked questions i would search them up to get the best understanding, however because each part of the topic was 2 pages and there was 8 parts. I finished my parts today and revised my notes, however my mind was absolutley "broken" and understanding concepts in class now is veryyyyyyy slow compared to my normal speed. Also when revising the parts it took me atleast 3 hours on each page to understand the concept in detail, but i am question alot of the concepts that make me overthink and overcomplicate everything. For some REASSON i cant understand topics faster enough and effectively and when i got to the test, the 1 mark answers and the 2 mark went beyond the spaces provided because i had to much to say and simplify information is a problem. So My question is can i learn to understand faster and simplify my learning to get full marks on test? It would be appreciated if you could tell me different revision methods because in my opinion i find a spider diagram my favorite because i can put alot of concepts all together. So i have not recieved my results yet but i know i answered all the questions correct but my anxiety caused my mind to become blank in some questions.
mdnvmpr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would reccommend you condense the information after you've done the spider diagram. So for every page/topic you go thorugh what you've written and condense it into smaller and smaller sections until you have only a few words.
When you're actually making the notes, I'd say not to write down too too mich detail to behin with, that way you won't have to spend so much time reviewing everything in so much detail, and will save yourself a lot of time from things that usually you wont need for an exam. I often struggle with this too though so igy.
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A picture of your spider diagrams would help diagnose the problem, assuming it's your spider diagram. Too much information maybe because you're saying that you're writing too much? That's also exam technique however, answer the question and that's it. Or maybe it's using spider diagrams which is inhibiting your revision?

Maybe try reading through your spider diagram topic then do questions on that topic from a textbook, revision or online, whatever. Then see what you got right and wrong and improve. You may notice a pattern in certain areas of these topics where you're going wrong
username2940194
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try flash cards?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.12%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (23)
23.23%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (44)
44.44%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
16.16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads