Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am i just too slow and bad at retaining and applying knowledge! Watch

ReputationRep:
    There was a science test today and i started to revise 3 days ago, with being told 7 days ago. I was making a spider diagram on each page of the book to summarise all my points and if i overthinked questions i would search them up to get the best understanding, however because each part of the topic was 2 pages and there was 8 parts. I finished my parts today and revised my notes, however my mind was absolutley "broken" and understanding concepts in class now is veryyyyyyy slow compared to my normal speed. Also when revising the parts it took me atleast 3 hours on each page to understand the concept in detail, but i am question alot of the concepts that make me overthink and overcomplicate everything. For some REASSON i cant understand topics faster enough and effectively and when i got to the test, the 1 mark answers and the 2 mark went beyond the spaces provided because i had to much to say and simplify information is a problem. So My question is can i learn to understand faster and simplify my learning to get full marks on test? It would be appreciated if you could tell me different revision methods because in my opinion i find a spider diagram my favorite because i can put alot of concepts all together. So i have not recieved my results yet but i know i answered all the questions correct but my anxiety caused my mind to become blank in some questions.

ReputationRep:
    I would reccommend you condense the information after you've done the spider diagram. So for every page/topic you go thorugh what you've written and condense it into smaller and smaller sections until you have only a few words.
    When you're actually making the notes, I'd say not to write down too too mich detail to behin with, that way you won't have to spend so much time reviewing everything in so much detail, and will save yourself a lot of time from things that usually you wont need for an exam. I often struggle with this too though so igy.

ReputationRep:
    A picture of your spider diagrams would help diagnose the problem, assuming it's your spider diagram. Too much information maybe because you're saying that you're writing too much? That's also exam technique however, answer the question and that's it. Or maybe it's using spider diagrams which is inhibiting your revision?

Maybe try reading through your spider diagram topic then do questions on that topic from a textbook, revision or online, whatever. Then see what you got right and wrong and improve. You may notice a pattern in certain areas of these topics where you're going wrong

ReputationRep:
    Try flash cards?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.