Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You know how your friend group over secondary school slowly gets smaller. Well mine has come to 2, they are both going to a college whereas im staying on at my schools sixth form. To be honest i dont really like them sometimes. We are all interested in animals however they both have pets (one of them has 2 dogs and 2 horses and the other has like 4 birds) and i dont. Whenever we used to talk about animals they would kind of look down on me and say things hinting that theyre more qualified to do something in the animals career path then me (im a pushover by nature so naturally i let them). Dont get me wrong they make me laugh so much and theyre good friends but sometimes i feel left out.

Then recently we were talking about post 16 and i mentioned i wanted to be a vet, i always wanted to be one but i never talked about it before because i thought it was best not to. Now one of them is in a slightly different friend group but we still talk and sit together. I know she is talking about me behind my back but i kinda dont care cause shes turned into a *****.

I thought at post 16 we would still chat and just gently kind of fade out of each others lives. Almost no one keeps their friends from school when theyre moving on to better things. Anyways we were talking about it and they said that when it was my birthday or one of theirs we would make it work to give bday presents. I really dont want to since i wont be seeing them but theyre insistent.

Now if their bdays were like 6 months after i would just fade out but one of their bdays is like 2 months after we leave.

What do i do? Do i ignore them?Send a present?Or do i fade them out quicker by speaking to them less? This is annoying me because shes probably going to text me saying "what time should we meet up to let you give me my present?

I kind of have a hunch that on my bday (like 8 months later) they wont bother. However i am a nice person so all of you commenting please sympathise with my natural nice and pushover nature. Help.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Don't force yourself to be friends for the sake of being nice. Take care of yourself and don't stay friends with a person who talks **** behind your back.

Maybe it's best to stay distant "friends", e.g. you'd only talk to them for a bit of small talk but don't invest money in a present. Think if they would do the same to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Don't force yourself to be friends for the sake of being nice. Take care of yourself and don't stay friends with a person who talks **** behind your back.

Maybe it's best to stay distant "friends", e.g. you'd only talk to them for a bit of small talk but don't invest money in a present. Think if they would do the same to you.
    thanks, think this helped. i cant force myself

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.