Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Researchers serve 2 students a caffeine dose equivalent to 300 cups of coffee Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rt-northumbria

I mean, really?

What kind of human being thinks that 30g of powder is sensible to ingest in any event?

Incredible.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wow...

ReputationRep:
    So what we can take from this is that the researchers at Northumbria University are incompetent fools who struggle to do even the most basic of maths.

they wish to emphasise that they take the welfare of their students and staff seriously.
    If that were true they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

i wonder if anyone actually lost their job over this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    So what we can take from this is that the researchers at Northumbria University are incompetent fools who struggle to do even the most basic of maths.

If that were true they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

i wonder if anyone actually lost their job over this?
    Or lack common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, they did the calculations on a mobile phone.

I can tell you that 30g of caffeine is equivalent to 732 jagerbombs.

ReputationRep:
    "The calculation had been done on a mobile phone, with the decimal point in the wrong place, and there was no risk assessment."

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Or lack common sense.
    That is why we have H&S and Risk Assessments, for those deficient in common sense. And then there is the simple step of actually checking calculations.

In a good process there should be plenty of nets to catch people's **** ups.

ReputationRep:
    When I was dancing in Japan, everyone used to take something called Gurozan. It was an effervesscent pure caffeine tablet you put in water. They advertise it on TV and lots of businessmen take it. Had to take it a few times as I hadn't slept, was exhausted and had a two hour show to dance in every night. It's horrible. My son, who I have just been telling this story to, said it sounded like Speed. [I really hope he doesn't know that through personal experience, or i'll kill him.] Anyway, it was literally impossible to keep still. My heart would race ten to the dozen, I would feel compelled to do any and every kind of physical exertion, including scrubbing tiles on walls at four in the morning, just to try and use up some of the energy. I felt as though I was doing everything three times as fast as I actually was. When the effects eventually wore off, I was left absolutely exhausted as if I had run two marathons in two days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    When I was dancing in Japan, everyone used to take something called Gurozan. It was an effervesscent pure caffeine tablet you put in water. They advertise it on TV and lots of businessmen take it. Had to take it a few times as I hadn't slept, was exhausted and had a two hour show to dance in every night. It's horrible. My son, who I have just been telling this story to, said it sounded like Speed. [I really hope he doesn't know that through personal experience, or i'll kill him.] Anyway, it was literally impossible to keep still. My heart would race ten to the dozen, I would feel compelled to do any and every kind of physical exertion, including scrubbing tiles on walls at four in the morning, just to try and use up some of the energy. I felt as though I was doing everything three times as fast as I actually was. When the effects eventually wore off, I was left absolutely exhausted as if I had run two marathons in two days.
    How many did you have in one go?
    Were your tablets from the official guronzan packaging?

ReputationRep:
    How many did you have in one go?
    Were your tablets from the official guronzan packaging?
    I took one, still felt exhausted an hour later, so [foolishly] took a second. Yes, I bought them from a Pharmacy.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    What kind of human being thinks that 30g of powder is sensible to ingest in any event?
    This is the part that gets me. Even if you don't notice your calculations being wrong, surely when it reaches the stage of 'oh I have to give this subject 30g of caffeine powder'...well it has to cross your mind that you screwed up somehow,

ReputationRep:
    "sports science students"

Nothing much to cry about

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rt-northumbria

I mean, really?

Incredible.
      Holy ****. I used to take in excess of 2g a day and that was supposed to be toxic, but 30g? Sheeeeeeeeeit.
      • Very Important Poster

You would think they would know the safe daily amount, which is 400mg. Wonder how much compensation that was worth.

ReputationRep:
      Not very smart for students were they?

ReputationRep:
      they must have given them a shed load of sprinkles with that

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by markova21)
      I took one, still felt exhausted an hour later, so [foolishly] took a second. Yes, I bought them from a Pharmacy.
      you got jumpy over 100mg of caffeine i.e. 2 cups of tea?

(Original post by MrDystopia)
      This is the part that gets me. Even if you don't notice your calculations being wrong, surely when it reaches the stage of 'oh I have to give this subject 30g of caffeine powder'...well it has to cross your mind that you screwed up somehow,
      Indeed.
      (Original post by JohnGreek)
      "sports science students"

Nothing much to cry about
      lel

(Original post by Tootles)
      Holy ****. I used to take in excess of 2g a day and that was supposed to be toxic, but 30g? Sheeeeeeeeeit.
      partner
      (Original post by Nerry)
      Not very smart for students were they?
      Agreed.

ReputationRep:
      This is incredibly incompetent.You would think they would at least check what the safe limits are."Everything is poison,nothing is not poison" It's only the dosage that determines poison.

ReputationRep:
      F**king morons..

ReputationRep:
      Just goes to show what I always say, having a degree =/= having common sense. Hope that fine is going to the victims of this f***ing retarded incident as compensation, as they'll probably have cardiovascular issues for life now.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.