Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I have been living in London for 5 years, but not continually (two gaps of roughly six months in my EU country of origin). I can prove this through my bank account, where it can be found my pays and my expenses. Unfortunately no payslips. I have also some tenants agreements and my name for over 5 years on the water bills of my main residence.
    Can i claim the maintenance loan in Wales? And in Scotland?

    Thank you
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    Depending on your circumstances you may be eligible to apply for Student Support if you have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break. You will be required to provide evidence of the temporary break regardless of the length of time you were temporary absent for.
    What could be classed as a temporary break?
    • Gap Year
    • Holiday
    • Voluntary Work overseas
    • Working for HM Armed Forces
    • Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment
    What would not be classed as a temporary break?
    • People who emigrate to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland
    • People who are unable to satisfy SFE that their break was of a temporary nature
    • People who have exercised their right to roam elsewhere in the EU/EEA and will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of their course
    If break in residency was due to student/parents active service in the armed forces they are still considered to be resident in the UK Acceptable Evidence
    • A letter from HEI confirming gap year
    • A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates
    • A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature
    • A letter from HM armed services if applicable
    • Temporary visas or work permits
    Dependent on your situation, you may not have any of the evidence above (e.g. they went abroad, self-funded, no employment etc.). In these circumstances please send any evidence of the break (e.g. copies of ticket receipts, accommodation lease, etc.) with a covering letter. This evidence will be deemed acceptable on a 'case-by-case' basis.

    Evidence will need to be the original documents. If you are resident in England and will be studying in either Wales or Scotland then you would be eligible for the Maintenance Loan if you are accepted as a 'Home' student after supplying your residency information. Hope this helps.


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.