Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In a metallic wire, what causes the free electrons to leave their shell? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In a metal, I know you have the sea of delocalised electrons, where one (or a couple) of electrons are lost from the outer shell of each nucleus, what is the reason as to why the electrons come away from the nucleus and become free electrons?

I know there is a weak force holding the outer layer of electrons to the actual electron shell, but why do some of those electrons escape the shell to become delocalised (free) electrons? What attracts them to leave the electron shell? And why do only some of those electrons in the outer shell escape, why don't all of the electrons in the outer shell escape?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blobbybill)
    In a metal, I know you have the sea of delocalised electrons, where one (or a couple) of electrons are lost from the outer shell of each nucleus, what is the reason as to why the electrons come away from the nucleus and become free electrons?

I know there is a weak force holding the outer layer of electrons to the actual electron shell, but why do some of those electrons escape the shell to become delocalised (free) electrons? What attracts them to leave the electron shell? And why do only some of those electrons in the outer shell escape, why don't all of the electrons in the outer shell escape?

Thanks
    By losing the electrons, the metal can attain a stable noble gas electronic configuration. They're not tightly bound, due to the electron shielding, so this makes it easy to lose the electrons (which is reflected in the ionisation energy) and become more stable.

I'm pretty sure all electrons in the outermost shell escape. Aluminium for example, will form Al^{3+} and deposit three electrons into the sea of delocalised electrons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    By losing the electrons, the metal can attain a stable noble gas electronic configuration. They're not tightly bound, due to the electron shielding, so this makes it easy to lose the electrons (which is reflected in the ionisation energy) and become more stable.

I'm pretty sure all electrons in the outermost shell escape. Aluminium for example, will form Al^{3+} and deposit three electrons into the sea of delocalised electrons
    All these examples I am seeing on youtube for Charge and drift velocity only talk about there being only one electron on the outermost shell layer. Is that the most common one to be dealing with? And if there were two, would both electrons be lost in the same way the single electron was lost when the shell only had one electron in the outer shell?

I remember seeing that if there are like 6 electrons in an outer shell, then it will gain electrons instead of losing them. Why is this? Would it always gain enough to fill a whole shell? How can you tell if it will gain or lose electrons? Or am I overthinking this way too much? I see in the textbook it just says there are some free electrons, thats all the detail it gives.

ReputationRep:
    All these examples I am seeing on youtube for Charge and drift velocity only talk about there being only one electron on the outermost shell layer. Is that the most common one to be dealing with? And if there were two, would both electrons be lost in the same way the single electron was lost when the shell only had one electron in the outer shell?

I remember seeing that if there are like 6 electrons in an outer shell, then it will gain electrons instead of losing them. Why is this? Would it always gain enough to fill a whole shell? How can you tell if it will gain or lose electrons? Or am I overthinking this way too much? I see in the textbook it just says there are some free electrons, thats all the detail it gives.
    If the metals are Group 1, they'll lose one electron. For Group 2, 2 and for group 3, 3. I'd say the most common ions are Cu+ and Cu2+, so expect one or two electrons lost probably.
    What do you mean regarding how the electrons are lost?

It's simply easier to gain a stable noble gas electronic configuration by gaining electrons if you only need 3 or less electrons.

ReputationRep:
    Band theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    If the metals are Group 1, they'll lose one electron. For Group 2, 2 and for group 3, 3. I'd say the most common ions are Cu+ and Cu2+, so expect one or two electrons lost probably.
    What do you mean regarding how the electrons are lost?

It's simply easier to gain a stable noble gas electronic configuration by gaining electrons if you only need 3 or less electrons.
    Why does it want to have a full electron shell?

ReputationRep:
    Why does it want to have a full electron shell?
    Metals don't "want" anything. They are emotionless.

Take sodium as an example. You've no doubt been taught that it "wants" to lose and e- to have an empty outermost shell.

Actually, the removal of its outer e- is very endothermic, whereas the addition of an e- is actually exothermic. If sodium "wanted" to do anything, it would be to gain, not lose.

As usual, in chemistry you get taught a series of rules which work at decreasingly basic levels.

If you want to know about conductivity in metals based on e-, look up band theory. There is a reasonably simple HyperPhysics page which might get you started; this would be a good place to start: http://bfy.tw/9hkx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.