Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever watch films in foreign languages? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone :hello:

As per the title, do you? If not, why not? I think there's so much to be learned from films that aren't in English, we miss out on so many incredible works. I recently watched Kassovtiz' La Haine, which was incredible and really eye-opening. I'm planning to watch Un sac de billes when I can too (I'm really excited about this one, it's one of my favourite books!).

If you do watch films in foreign languages, would you recommend any? I'd like to watch them.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Aside from anime films (all Japanese audio with subtitles where possible), I went through a phase of watching a lot of Hong Kong martial arts films, and Korean horror films.

My fave out of the former group would be Shaolin Wooden Men (Though there can't be more than 10 lines of dialogue, so it barely counts as foreign language. Fists are quite universal :p: ), while Oldboy (the 2003 one) from the latter group is quite something.

For comedies with decent storylines, I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (Same director as Oldboy), and Survive Style 5+ (One of the few Japanese live action films I've watched, oddly enough. Features Vinnie Jones).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Hey everyone :hello:

As per the title, do you? If not, why not? I think there's so much to be learned from films that aren't in English, we miss out on so many incredible works. I recently watched Kassovtiz' La Haine, which was incredible and really eye-opening. I'm planning to watch Un sac de billes when I can too (I'm really excited about this one, it's one of my favourite books!).

If you do watch films in foreign languages, would you recommend any? I'd like to watch them.
    Ofc I do
    We've been through this, Monsieur :rofl:
    Currently going through the films/programmes the French VLE has to offer
    I've seen La Haine, not Un sac de billes though! Does the VLE have it........OMG NO IT DOESN'T :O

Films I have seen in another language:
    -La Haine
    -Amelie
    -Coco Avant Chanel
    -Populaire
    -Disparue :O
    -Le meilleur pâtissier - basically French Bake Off (WOULD RECOMMEND as everything is so :drool::coma:)
    -The last Harry Potter in French - my exchange student made me ok (actually was quite funny)
    -Can't remember the name but some disturbing French film about a boy who writes a story about a house and an affair with this girl's Mum and it was very very strange...
    -Entre les murs/La Classe :yy: Has funny moments and then gets really serious :O
    -Ponyo -Studio Ghibli - Japonese + subtitles ofc
    -2 German films, watched them in year 10 and don't remember their names - only that they were EXTREMELY disturbing and I didn't know what was going on as my German was never that great :rofl:

Currently watching les revenants as was recommended by UWS :france:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because I've not paid attention to which version I'm downloading and get the one dubbed in Spanish by mistake...

ReputationRep:
    I watched Deutschland 83 in German and part English subtitles.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    A couple of years ago, I made it a new year's resolution to try and watch more foreign films. One that particularly struck me was Trois couleurs: Bleu which is part of Kieslowski's 'Three Colours Trilogy'. There's a great Hong Kong film called 'In the Mood for Love' as well. I've got a huge list of all the non-English films I still need to see haha!

I've also re-watched some of the Studio Ghibli films in Japanese with subtitles instead of dubbed (if that counts). While it's always a bit of a shock to the system given how ingrained the dubbed versions of some of the films are, it's clear those films were always meant to be in Japanese.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amusing Elk)
    A couple of years ago, I made it a new year's resolution to try and watch more foreign films. One that particularly struck me was Trois couleurs: Bleu which is part of Kieslowski's 'Three Colours Trilogy'. There's a great Hong Kong film called 'In the Mood for Love' as well. I've got a huge list of all the non-English films I still need to see haha!

I've also re-watched some of the Studio Ghibli films in Japanese with subtitles instead of dubbed (if that counts). While it's always a bit of a shock to the system given how ingrained the dubbed versions of some of the films are, it's clear those films were always meant to be in Japanese.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    "A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night" is a good Iranian vampire-western. It's quite strange and grisly, but with some dark humour. And a good soundtrack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheeseisveg)
    ofc i do :e
    we've been through this, monsieur :rofl:
    Currently going through the films/programmes the french vle has to offer
    i've seen la haine, not un sac de billes though! Does the vle have it........omg no it doesn't

films i have seen in another language:
    -la haine
    -amelie
    -coco avant chanel
    -populaire
    -disparue
    -le meilleur pâtissier - basically french bake off (would recommend as everything is so :drool::coma:)
    -the last harry potter in french - my exchange student made me ok (actually was quite funny)
    -can't remember the name but some disturbing french film about a boy who writes a story about a house and an affair with this girl's mum and it was very very strange...
    -entre les murs/la classe :yy: Has funny moments and then gets really serious
    -ponyo -studio ghibli - japonese + subtitles ofc
    -2 german films, watched them in year 10 and don't remember their names - only that they were extremely disturbing and i didn't know what was going on as my german was never that great :rofl:

Currently watching les revenants as was recommended by uws :france:
    Oh my god I love qui sera le prochain grand patissier!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CivilAsAnOrange)
    oh my god i love qui sera le prochain grand patissier!
    :giggle: IT'S SO GOOD OMG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheeseisveg)
    :giggle: It's so good omg
    I've wasted so much time watching that show it's the best
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Of course, some of the best films I've seen are foreign. Here are some of my favourites - if you have the time, I really recommend you watch some of them:

Barbara (German)
    Westen (German)
    Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage (German)
    Hannah Arendt (English/German)
    4 luni, 3 săptămâni și 2 zile (Romanian)
    Ida (Polish)
    Kontroll (Hungarian)
    Hable con ella (Spanish)
    A Separation (Iranian)
    Mustang (Turkish)
    Jean de Florette (French)
    La Tourneuse de pages (French)
    La Vie rêvée des anges (French)
    Anna M. (French)
    Presque rien (French)
    Noordzee, Texas (Dutch)
    Oslo, August 31st (Norwegian)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CivilAsAnOrange)
    I've wasted so much time watching that show it's the best
    :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Aside from anime films (all Japanese audio with subtitles where possible), I went through a phase of watching a lot of Hong Kong martial arts films, and Korean horror films.

My fave out of the former group would be Shaolin Wooden Men (Though there can't be more than 10 lines of dialogue, so it barely counts as foreign language. Fists are quite universal :p: ), while Oldboy (the 2003 one) from the latter group is quite something.

For comedies with decent storylines, I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (Same director as Oldboy), and Survive Style 5+ (One of the few Japanese live action films I've watched, oddly enough. Features Vinnie Jones).
    Oh, did you ever watch R Point (Korea 2004) ?
    Terrific build up - went a little bit wonky at the very end but still really creepy
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Oh, did you ever watch R Point (Korea 2004) ?
    Terrific build up - went a little bit wonky at the very end but still really creepy
    I've not heard of that one, though it came out around the time I was most interested. :hmmmm2: From the top of my head, I watched:

The rest of Chan-wook Park's vengeance trilogy (in addition to Oldboy, Lady Vengeance and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance)
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Whispering Corridors
    Spider Forest

And at least a couple of others that I can't remember.

ReputationRep:
    All the time A girl walks home alone at night isnt foreign for me but its good!
    A lot of turkish/spanish dramas in iranian dub too.

//gonna lurk and take notes

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the ones already mentioned, i'd recommend:

The Hunt
    Downfall
    The Secret in Their Eyes
    Incendies
    Tokyo Story
    Wild Tales
    Let The Right One In
    Mommy
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    snip
    Have you seen the Tale of the Princess Kaguya? It's one of the very few anime films that I liked.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Have you seen the Tale of the Princess Kaguya? It's one of the very few anime films that I liked.
    Yes, director Takahata Isao is a genius. Certainly one of the more visually impressive anime films I've seen in years, and a good telling of the classic story.

ReputationRep:
    Im assuming you don't mean anime but i do watch a lot of Japanese and Chinese films mostly martial arts ones that have Donnie Yen in it. I prefer having the sounds in the foreign language because it sounds better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.