Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever watch films in foreign languages? Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy watchingfilms in foreign languages. Europa Europa,The Orphanage, Mommy and Life is Beautiful have to be my favourite

ReputationRep:
    Mainly German ones:

Lola rennt
    Die Welle
    Das Experiment
    Goodbye Lenin
    Das Leben der Anderen
    Wilkommen bei den Hartmanns.

I also need to watch Toni Erdmann seeing as it just got nominated for an oscar soooo
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have done it in the past. Watching films in English has improved my language skills in this foreign language (yeah, English is really not my first language, guys!). Got a better understanding and securer in talking and writing and it has increased my knowledge in vocabulary. In other words: it was the best what I ever did. It made even fun! whenever I have enough time, I am watching films in English language again, be it in British or American English.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Die Welle
    O I've seen that, it was pretty good. Ending was a bit naff though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Mainly German ones:

Lola rennt
    Die Welle
    Das Experiment
    Goodbye Lenin
    Das Leben der Anderen
    Wilkommen bei den Hartmanns.

I also need to watch Toni Erdmann seeing as it just got nominated for an oscar soooo
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    O I've seen that, it was pretty good. Ending was a bit naff though.
    omg that was the one I saw in year 10 :hide:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    omg that was the one I saw in year 10 :hide:
    Oh... I don't recall ever watching foreign films in school. Are you going to watch any of the films I recommended? :flower2:

ReputationRep:
    I'll add Let the right one in (original Swedish version) and Fermat's room.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh... I don't recall ever watching foreign films in school. Are you going to watch any of the films I recommended? :flower2:
    :console: tbf it was in the lesson after our exam
    I don't think so, not until I've gone through the VLE's ones :mmm: there are a lot!
    I need to get Netflix or something to make getting films easier tbh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    :console: tbf it was in the lesson after our exam
    I don't think so, not until I've gone through the VLE's ones :mmm: there are a lot!
    I need to get Netflix or something to make getting films easier tbh
    Awh. Tbh there are not that many good foreign films on Netflix!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Awh. Tbh there are not that many good foreign films on Netflix!
    Maybe I should look elsewhere. Where do you get your films from Monsieur Snuff?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Does Japanese anime films count? :teeth:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should look elsewhere. Where do you get your films from Monsieur Snuff?
    I used to watch them on Film 4 but they don't show as many as they used to. These days I just rent them on Amazon Video.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I used to watch them on Film 4 but they don't show as many as they used to. These days I just rent them on Amazon Video.
    Yuss same :five:
    So sad :emo:
    Ah! I have Prime so maybe this is a good idea
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I strongly recommend À la folie pas du tout (aka He love me he loves me not) which has the actress who plays as Amelie.
    It's a very interesting French movie, with a good story and...the ending....oh my.

ReputationRep:
    i scour Film 4 for foreign films. they are always late at night so i record them ?

one gem was http://www.filmsufi.com/2008/09/hear...rzog-1976.html

more recently https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...thomas-cailley

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ullhead-review was one of the best Belgian films i have ever seen :teehee:

the Greek film https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ogtooth-review was memorable :creep:

Film 4 also show the more mainstream films like Chocolat/Amelie/Betty Blue/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh and by the way, I am also watching animes in Japanese language with English dubbing sometimes.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, whenever I can. I love them :love: People refuse to watch them with me because they don't like subtitles though

All time favourites are probably Amélie (French), La Vita è Bella (Italian), and Intouchables (French)

ReputationRep:
    I've watched a large number of Japanese and Korean films. Mostly horror. It was all I would watch when I was 18/19.

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourites

Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum https://g.co/kgs/DcXhCj

ReputationRep:
    Bollywood (Hindi films) is the biggest film industry in the world and I've been following it religiously for years. I also enjoy films in regional languages from other parts of India e.g. Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu and I've seen a few Urdu films from neighbouring Pakistan. I'm a big fan of Hong Kong martial arts movies and I've seen a handful of French films too. I hear Italian and Korean films are also very well-made but I haven't seen any of them yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.