Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever watch films in foreign languages? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)
    Bollywood (Hindi films) is the biggest film industry in the world and I've been following it religiously for years. I also enjoy films in regional languages from other parts of India e.g. Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu and I've seen a few Urdu films from neighbouring Pakistan. I'm a big fan of Hong Kong martial arts movies and I've seen a handful of French films too. I hear Italian and Korean films are also very well-made but I haven't seen any of them yet.
    Hong Kong martial arts is great I like that films like that..

ReputationRep:
    I started watching them 2 days ago and wow it was actually good.

French film called 'Breathe' and a Danish film called 'In the Blood'.

As a multilingual, I've always had an interest in other languages, and trying to understand them was actually quite fun, matching what words go with the english subtitles, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Google22)
    I started watching them 2 days ago and wow it was actually good.

French film called 'Breathe' and a Danish film called 'In the Blood'.

As a multilingual, I've always had an interest in other languages, and trying to understand them was actually quite fun, matching what words go with the english subtitles, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As you are multilingual, what languages do you speak beside English, Danish and French? are you watching films in those languages too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    As you are multilingual, what languages do you speak beside English, Danish and French? are you watching films in those languages too?
    I speak English, Sinhala and tamil, and I used to watch films in those languages when I was younger. But bollywood is so crap, cringeworthy at times, so I stopped watching them.

I don't speak Danish or french, I watched those movies with subtitles. That's what I meant by saying it was interesting to see what words they spoke matched up with the subtitles, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to watch films that I already know in German, otherwise I struggle to grasp what's going on! For example my class watched the smurfs in German with English sub, so we could gather some of the words!

(Original post by asr11)
    Apart from the ones already mentioned, i'd recommend:

Incendies
    incendies ****ed me up
    but it was probably one of the best films i've seen

usual french ones that everyones seen.- amelie, les choristes or something along those lines
    a seperation obvs
    a serbian film
    Madame de Pompadour
    the Stoning of Soraya M (persian film)
    Pod Pokritie (it's like a Bulgarian crime drama, more of a series than a movie but eh)
    Some Bulgarian historical films (Asparukhan i think one of them was called)

La Bête Humaine and la terre too.
    and I think it was called Mommy, but two german twins and the mother with a mask? Ugh idk but i deffo watched it AND an austrian film about a family who are held hostage in their lake house or something like that
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    the Stoning of Soraya M (persian film)

but i deffo watched it AND an austrian film about a family who are held hostage in their lake house or something like that
    The Stoning of Soraya M is seriously messed up. Can't believe that actually happened. :afraid:

You mean Funny Games?

(Original post by Snufkin)
    The Stoning of Soraya M is seriously messed up. Can't believe that actually happened. :afraid:

You mean Funny Games?
    it was very sad, but the cinematography was beautiful. i also thought Shohreh Aghdashloo did brilliantly in narrating it.

YES funny games. the remake was meh

ReputationRep:
    at school once i watched a french film. possibly had a train in it

ReputationRep:
    I do occasionally and always choose subtitles over dubs. Probably the one I liked most was die welle which, if I remember correctly, was a German movie. But it was really good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I speak English, Sinhala and tamil, and I used to watch films in those languages when I was younger. But bollywood is so crap, cringeworthy at times, so I stopped watching them.

I don't speak Danish or french, I watched those movies with subtitles. That's what I meant by saying it was interesting to see what words they spoke matched up with the subtitles, etc.
    So I misunderstood you then. Don't know these languages, but I guess they are spoken in Far East?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Pretty sure everyone has seen the French film Les Choristes at some point but it's my favourite foreign film
    I don't even watch English films that much aha so I haven't seen many foreign ones - the only other one I can think of is Goodbye Lenin

ReputationRep:
    So I misunderstood you then. Don't know these languages, but I guess they are spoken in Far East?
    They are spoken in Sri Lanka (sinhala + tamil) and in some southern parts of India (tamil).

ReputationRep:
    I've seen about 20 French films, I love French cinema and think they make movies better than Hollywood do. Here are some of my favs:

Ne le dis à personne
    Le dîner de cons
    Les Choristes
    Amélie
    À la folie .. pas du tout
    Intouchables
    La Haine
    Les Revenants (french tv series but it still counts lol)
    Entre les murs

I've also seen a few Spanish films aswell, Volver, Voces Inocentes, and El Laberinto del Fauno. My mind seems to wander less when I'm reading subtitles
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They are spoken in Sri Lanka (sinhala + tamil) and in some southern parts of India (tamil).
    So I was really right with my assumption. Good to know. Is sinhala or tamil the first language in Sri Lanka?

ReputationRep:
    So I was really right with my assumption. Good to know. Is sinhala or tamil the first language in Sri Lanka?
    Sinhala is the main I'd say, but tamil is spoken in the northern parts of the country.

Think of it like Welsh and English. Majority of the UK speaks English, but there's a section of UK that speaks Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeemoNoirPunk)
    "A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night" is a good Iranian vampire-western. It's quite strange and grisly, but with some dark humour. And a good soundtrack.
    Yeah, that film is really good.

Have you seen the Tale of the Princess Kaguya? It's one of the very few anime films that I liked.
    Also good, quite strange but very pretty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeemoNoirPunk)
    "A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night" is a good Iranian vampire-western. It's quite strange and grisly, but with some dark humour. And a good soundtrack.
    Yeah, that film is really good.

Have you seen the Tale of the Princess Kaguya? It's one of the very few anime films that I liked.
    Also good, quite strange but very pretty.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    French Film - 'Angel-a' is one of my favourites

ReputationRep:
    I've been watching Bollywood movies for a while, and used watch a lot of Spanish films during GCSE and AS and I still do now every once in a while - Last one I watched was Rosario Tijeras.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.