Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I got all A*s???? Idk how I did it but thank you to everyone who has been here with me on this journey and seeya in the next GYG! What is lifeeeeeeeee!??!

ReputationRep:
    That last post was a little bit vague, so here's a proper old detailed thingy:

You already know I got A* in Maths and Numeracy last year.

A* English Language
    A* English Literature (a* in Unit 1 and 2, a in Unit 3)
    A* Geography (a* in Unit 1, 2 and 3)
    A* Drama (a* in Unit 1 and 2 - holy $h1t, idk how I did this, the grade boundaries were a KILLER)
    A* Biology (a in B1 and CA, a* in B2 and B3)
    A* Chemistry (a* in C1, C2 and C3, a in CA)
    A* Physics (a in P1 and CA, a* in P2 and P3)
    A* Spanish (198/200 ums wth )
    A* Religious Studies (Short Course)

I got a Merit in Additional Maths, which I'm pretty happy with and I got a B in the WBQ, which I was also expecting. I also have a result saying I passed the "Window Into Wales" and I literally have no idea what that is, but aye at least I passed!

Next year it seems I will be taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature and yeah, fun times Well done everyone!

ReputationRep:
    You've done so well - congrats!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    omg. Well done!
    All A*s are something to be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzyambee)
    You've done so well - congrats!
    Thank you so so much Same to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    omg. Well done!
    All A*s are something to be proud of.
    Thank you so so much! I'm v happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombre)
    That last post was a little bit vague, so here's a proper old detailed thingy:

You already know I got A* in Maths and Numeracy last year.

A* English Language
    A* English Literature (a* in Unit 1 and 2, a in Unit 3)
    A* Geography (a* in Unit 1, 2 and 3)
    A* Drama (a* in Unit 1 and 2 - holy $h1t, idk how I did this, the grade boundaries were a KILLER)
    A* Biology (a in B1 and CA, a* in B2 and B3)
    A* Chemistry (a* in C1, C2 and C3, a in CA)
    A* Physics (a in P1 and CA, a* in P2 and P3)
    A* Spanish (198/200 ums wth )
    A* Religious Studies (Short Course)

I got a Merit in Additional Maths, which I'm pretty happy with and I got a B in the WBQ, which I was also expecting. I also have a result saying I passed the "Window Into Wales" and I literally have no idea what that is, but aye at least I passed!

Next year it seems I will be taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature and yeah, fun times Well done everyone!
    omg so proud of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstiah_h)
    omg so proud of you!
    aaaaahhhh thank you!!! (PRSOM btw)

ReputationRep:
    Omg well done !!! With the amount of dedication you had, I knew you'd get all A*s ! Do you have any tips for the WJEC English Language GCSE exams on how to get the top mark/A*??

ReputationRep:
    Also do you have any tips with English Literature ? What is it that the examiners look for? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jpijx)
    Omg well done !!! With the amount of dedication you had, I knew you'd get all A*s ! Do you have any tips for the WJEC English Language GCSE exams on how to get the top mark/A*??
    (Original post by Jpijx)
    Also do you have any tips with English Literature ? What is it that the examiners look for? Thank you!
    Aaah thank you so so much!

As for English Language, first and foremost I recommend Mr Bruff's YouTube videos. Despite being targeted at AQA, the skills required are largely the same. My main tip for improvement just to practise answering the different types of questions (how, what, synthesise etc.). Learn lots of technical vocab you can use in analysis and embed quotes to save time (avoid having a set analysis method, as this comes across as boring and rehearsed). Also I recommend reading a lot, it will improve your writing style so much. English Lit complements Language because of this. Even if it's just a couple of pages of a book a day, it will really help!

English Literature requires the same skills as Language (ESPECIALLY) for the extract questions! You need to know the assessment objectives - e.g. WJEC Paper 1 Section A essays have 33% marks towards AO1 (your argument and quotes) and 67% marks towards AO4 (historical context). Ask your teacher for details - this will improve your answers so much, since it tells you exactly what the examiner wants to see in an answer! Also, reread your texts at any chance you get. For example, if your exam is next May, aim to read the texts now, over Christmas, just before your mocks and over Easter (it sounds like a lot but at GCSE it is rare that the texts are particularly long - a play may take a couple of hours to read in one sitting, so realistically you could read it over 2 or 3 nights). Rereading will help you get to know your texts so well. Also, as long as it isn't too different to the book, the movie could be an alternative to reading at Christmas or before mocks (but please reread them at Easter, it's almost a necessity for success)

My final tip for English is to have a bit of fun with it. It is a pretty creative subject, so there is no point dreading it and taking it so seriously. Have fun with the creative writing and do your best to enjoy exploring the books - if you hate the book, watch the movie and maybe your opinion will change.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! I've never been good at English so I feel like I will have to put a lot of effort in order to achieve the high grades. I was wondering by "technical vocab", do you mean sophisticated adjectives that examiners do not normally hear? I am actually reading books at the moment but do you have any particular books that can really boost my english vocabulary? Also was the revision book for english language any use? I'm debating whether to get it Sorry for the storm of questions! Do I also need to give alternative reasoning too when it comes to the "How" questions ? Or should I stick to the "one reason and move on" routine? AHAH soo many questions!! Sorry...

ReputationRep:
    Also with English literature, do the examiners give the top grades to people who have different and original interpretations on quotes (If they have included the argument, quotes and historical context)?

ReputationRep:
    You'll find that your English will dramatically improve over the course of the year, it's crazy! Technical vocab means key subject terms for techniques, like juxtaposition for example, ask your teacher for help and there are plenty of online lists. But in English Lang you can't go wrong with some sophisticated adjectives, as long as they work and it doesn't sound like you're using a fancy word for the sake of it. You wouldn't be likely to use the word "vermillion" in an informal letter

I don't have any particular recommendations for books, read whatever you want to read! But some books that I reckon everyone should have read by this point in their lives are the Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games and at least a couple of classics, like To Kill A Mockingbird (I'm a huge hypocrite because I've not read TKAM, but I'm also using advice other people have given me lol ). Basically anything that's well written (and even things that aren't well written still get you thinking, so no shame in a trashy romance, if that's what you're into!)

Original interpretations are extremely welcome in Lit and certainly helped my marks skyrocket. One problem with GCSE English is that examiners are a bit picky if you've missed an obvious classic point, but you don't want to be writing the same as everyone else, so if you want to make an obvious point, maybe look at it from a new perspective

Omg it's 1am and I'm giving English advice, what even is life? Lmao hope this helped!

(Original post by Jpijx)
    Also with English literature, do the examiners give the top grades to people who have different and original interpretations on quotes (If they have included the argument, quotes and historical context)?

ReputationRep:
    The Welsh is irrelevant anyway it's short course
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Aha ! Thank you soooo much! I will definitely give those a read! I'm currently reading a book called "between shades of grey" but I think I'll read "the hunger games" afterwards 😂(I have got to be the last person to read this book but oh wells, better late than never, am I right ?) 😂I've never really been a fan of Harry Potter 😂but anyway I'll be sure to offer different interpretations in order to get the high marks in literature and in language I'll make sure to use technical techniques, technical adjectives, read books and just do some past papers so I'm confident with the questions that they can ask me thank you again !
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Updated: August 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.