Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quixote.)
    I've always thought Louis Vuitton looked pretty tacky tbh. Separate the naff all-over print from the LV name and it looks pretty crap. It's not a particularly nice print, and it's literally all over everything they make.
    Mm I guess so.

Haute couture is a rarity these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    LV is overpriced and ostentatious.
    What brands do you like?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    :yucky:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ, it looks like they spent maximum 2 minutes making this logo on Paint.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    LV is overpriced and ostentatious.
    On the contrary, Louis Vuitton is relatively mid-market in the grand scheme of haute couture. Hermes, Chanel, and Fendi produce far more expensive bags than the standard Louis Vuitton core collection.

But I have always had a soft soft for Louis Vuitton and the rich brown canvas, paired with the untreated vachetta leather that ages along with the wearer. It screamed classic and timeless to me.

Shame 'hype' and streetwear affected them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Jesus Christ, it looks like they spent maximum 2 minutes making this logo on Paint.
    x
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:
    Kinda bleak really - is this really 'fashion' nowadays? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    That is EXACTLY it! :toofunny:

I disagree, Louis Vuitton's classic monogram print is iconic and never looked tacky to me. I used to associate it with class, which drove my passion for the brand:

I used to think people who worse LV exuded class. Now I am not so sure. The brown monogram canvas print has become so ubiquitous that it's no longer impressive.

A luxury fashion item loses it "prestige" when it becomes overly accessible. The amount of people I see in everyday life with a monogram canvas over their shoulder makes me doubt how "exclusive" LV are as a brand.

The amount of chavs I see with a brown LV bag slung over their shoulder further reinforces this. They are likely knock-offs but the this ubiquity has certainly lessened LV's prestige. I would never be caught dead wearing the traditional monogram print.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I started to see Louis Vuitton's descent with the release of 'LV Twist'.

It was such a departure from the classic monogram, that at the time I really was shocked. I believe that this was the idea of Nicolas Ghesquiere, who replaced Marc Jacobs as creative director in late 2013.

ReputationRep:
    On the contrary, Louis Vuitton is relatively mid-market in the grand scheme of haute couture. Hermes, Chanel, and Fendi produce far more expensive bags than the standard Louis Vuitton core collection.

But I have always had a soft soft for Louis Vuitton and the rich brown canvas, paired with the untreated vachetta leather that ages along with the wearer. It screamed classic and timeless to me.

LV may not be the most expensive but versus most other fashion houses, LV bags hold their own. The only handbag brands which tend keep their value are Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuittion. They are seen as the Holy Trinity of handbags. With other brands (like Fendi, Givenchy, Gucci etc) reselling bags at the same price or higher price is tricky/ impossible.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    I used to think people who worse LV exuded class. Now I am not so sure. The brown monogram canvas print has become so ubiquitous that it's no longer impressive.

A luxury fashion item loses it "prestige" when it becomes overly accessible. The amount of people I see in everyday life with a monogram canvas over their shoulder makes me doubt how "exclusive" LV are as a brand.

The amount of chavs I see with a brown LV bag slung over their shoulder further reinforces this. They are likely knock-offs but the this ubiquity has certainly lessened LV's prestige. I would never be caught dead wearing the traditional monogram print.
    This all resonates with me, very good points.

I still do use my bags, I like them - it is just unfortunate that they have a different type of association nowadays. However, I have definitely rethought my plans to purchase another item from them. I think I'll be investing in a different fashion house.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    LV may not be the most expensive but versus most other fashion houses, LV bags hold their own. The only handbag brands which tend keep their value are Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuittion. They are seen as the Holy Trinity of handbags. With other brands (like Fendi, Givenchy, Gucci etc) reselling bags at the same price or higher price is tricky/ impossible.
    Again, good point. :lol:

Fendi do tend to make their handbags (peekaboo etcetera) ridiculously priced though, in comparison to Louis Vuitton - which makes it seem more exclusive and inaccessible I feel.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    :laugh:
    Kinda bleak really - is this really 'fashion' nowadays? :rofl:
    TSR x Supreme 🙏🔥💯👌

ReputationRep:
    This all resonates with me, very good points.

I still do use my bags, I like them - it is just unfortunate that they have a different type of association nowadays. However, I have definitely rethought my plans to purchase another item from them. I think I'll be investing in a different fashion house.
    A bit like how Burberry lost it prestige when they became associated with Chav culture. Although, LV does makes some very nice pieces. I do like the Monogram Vernis Leather; it's not something you see people wearing often and patent leather is easy to care for. I think the safest choices for "prestige" and investment will always be Chanel and Hermes. I don't think either of them could ever become tacky. The value of Chanel handbags has risen faster than property or gold since the 1950s, and has never fallen.

ReputationRep:
    Managed to see the shoulder bag and bandana the other day! I believe that this collaboration is to make an example for other 'high end' brands, perhaps trying to make a trend. This kind of thing has been done before but not with two notorious designers who have the most attention from their target market. This may also be LV making stepping stones between fashion icons. Who knows, we may see high-end street fashion becoming a common occurrence.

Nice to see a genuine Supreme x Louis Vuitton collection rather than the 2000 bootleg release!
    • Political Ambassador

I wasn't comparing.

Imo, If you're taking a look just at the product itself, these luxury items, though they have very high quality, their branding, iconic image and their customer service make the products very expensive. Even tho luxury isn't exclusive anymore.

Their bags are an investment, but the quality isn't the same as it used to be, the bags from the previous decades are worth far more than the new ones.

ReputationRep:
    lol they all look crap.

Most items of clothing are ruined once you stick a massive brand logo/name on it. Turns you into a walking advertisement which I find unattractive.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    TSR x Supreme 🙏🔥💯👌
    Watch the TSR roadmen hype for this :rofl:

How much will this be? £2000? I'd expect nothing less for that complex and hard to produce design :daydreaming:
    • Political Ambassador

I started to see Louis Vuitton's descent with the release of 'LV Twist'.

It was such a departure from the classic monogram, that at the time I really was shocked. I believe that this was the idea of Nicolas Ghesquiere, who replaced Marc Jacobs as creative director in late 2013.
    This is beautiful.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Watch the TSR roadmen hype for this :rofl:

How much will this be? £2000? I'd expect nothing less for that complex and hard to produce design :daydreaming:
    LMAO :rofl:

The TSR roadmen should post a picture of themselves wearing that shirt and watch all the rep flow in 💯👌

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.