Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want the Supreme bag
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    lol they all look crap.

Most items of clothing are ruined once you stick a massive brand logo/name on it. Turns you into a walking advertisement which I find unattractive.
    :rofl::rofl:
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by saraxh)
    I want the Supreme bag
    Omg you can't be serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    I wasn't comparing.

Imo, If you're taking a look just at the product itself, these luxury items, though they have very high quality, their branding, iconic image and their customer service make the products very expensive. Even tho luxury isn't exclusive anymore.

Their bags are an investment, but the quality isn't the same as it used to be, the bags from the previous decades are worth far more than the new ones.
    The quality of LV bags have more or less been the same. Were it to change significantly, the brand would suffer huge damage to their reputation. One of the major selling points of luxury fashion houses is their reputation for quality.

Also not sure about the last part of your comment where you say the bags from previous decades are worth more than the new ones? That might be true for Hermes but I don't think that's true for LV.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    A bit like how Burberry lost it prestige when they became associated with Chav culture. Although, LV does makes some very nice pieces. I do like the Monogram Vernis Leather; it's not something you see people wearing often and patent leather is easy to care for. I think the safest choices for "prestige" and investment will always be Chanel and Hermes. I don't think either of them could ever become tacky. The value of Chanel handbags has risen faster than property or gold since the 1950s, and has never fallen.
    Slowly but surely, I feel like Burberry is rising up in the ranks again! The pattern does still evoke nausea, but they're on their way to recovery I feel.
    Epi leather and the leather options in general are quite nice, I agree with the vernis - I haven't seen that worn out much.

Probably true, but Hermes I feel is the worst - ugly and simple design, huge waiting lists and celebrities owning tens in different colours. I see that their resell price is high though, as you point out. Chanel has a price increase multiple times a year I believe, I feel that helps them retain their inaccessibility. Chanel is the safest bet, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Omg you can't be serious.
    Lol I mean I know it's not on Dior or Givenchy level(no offence) but it's nice. I saw it on Instagram first.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    LMAO :rofl:

The TSR roadmen should post a picture of themselves wearing that shirt and watch all the rep flow in 💯👌
    Looool all the girls thirsting in the post a picture of yourself thread, like girls on the Stratford YouTubers' instagrams :lol: - seriously, what even is the hype with supreme, I feel old for not understanding it :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Slowly but surely, I feel like Burberry is rising up in the ranks again! The pattern does still evoke nausea, but they're on their way to recovery I feel.
    Epi leather and the leather options in general are quite nice, I agree with the vernis - I haven't seen that worn out much.

Probably true, but Hermes I feel is the worst - ugly and simple design, huge waiting lists and celebrities owning tens in different colours. I see that their resell price is high though, as you point out. Chanel has a price increase multiple times a year I believe, I feel that helps them retain their inaccessibility. Chanel is the safest bet, I agree.

Chanel defo hike their prices up at least twice a year. I hate how LV and Chanel burn their unsold bags, refusing to particpate in sales, to retain their exclusivity and high prices. Seems unethical when there are starving children out there!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Lol I mean I know it's not on Dior or Givenchy level(no offence) but it's nice. I saw it on Instagram first.
    Gosh really? :lolwut: Which bag? They're so ugly.

Still higher level than Givenchy imo LOL. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    TSR x Supreme 🙏🔥💯👌
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4073297

You should be a fashion consultant for TSR.

(Original post by habeas.corpus)
    A bit like how Burberry lost it prestige when they became associated with Chav culture. Although, LV does makes some very nice pieces. I do like the Monogram Vernis Leather; it's not something you see people wearing often and patent leather is easy to care for. I think the safest choices for "prestige" and investment will always be Chanel and Hermes. I don't think either of them could ever become tacky. The value of Chanel handbags has risen faster than property or gold since the 1950s, and has never fallen.
    I've never seen a chav with a genuine Burberry hat or clothing, I must of missed it. The tartan was a bit horrible though, to be fair.

Burberry have definitely shaken off that tarnish to their reputation though. Really nice, elegant clothing. (Their new collection is awful though - AW15 was nicer)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblyminty)
    Chanel defo hike their prices up at least twice a year. I hate how LV and Chanel burn their unsold bags, refusing to particpate in sales, to retain their exclusivity and high prices. Seems unethical when there are starving children out there!
    Sales cheapen the brand for me, I have to say that it is a good move on their part. It retains their image in some way. This is why I place Louis Vuitton, Chanel, and Hermes on a higher level than Valentino, Givenchy and Burberry - who do partake in sales.

I do agree that it seems a waste of resources though, if only something can be done to redress this.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh really? :lolwut: Which bag? They're so ugly.

Still higher level than Givenchy imo LOL. :lol:

I wouldnt put it first on my bags to buy list though.
    You have to dress a certain way to pull it off http://newsneakernews.wpengine.netdn...llection-3.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4073297

You should be a fashion consultant for TSR.

I've never seen a chav with a genuine Burberry hat or clothing, I must of missed it. The tartan was a bit horrible though, to be fair.

Burberry have definitely shaken off that tarnish to their reputation though. Really nice, elegant clothing. (Their new collection is awful though - AW15 was nicer)
    I see people wearing fake Canada Goose and Burberry in London.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I've never been big on Louis Vuitton (only ever used their luggage), but it's definitely not what it used to be. So this really doesn't come as a surprise to me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt put it first on my bags to buy list though.
    You have to dress a certain way to pull it off http://newsneakernews.wpengine.netdn...llection-3.jpg
    Nooooooo :nope: - it is so tacky. :rofl: Would be a far more prudent move to impart a little more cash and invest in a piece from their permanent collection - or Dior perhaps.

Take my advice, don't spend money on something that will go out of fashion - I've been foolish enough to do that with one handbag. I throughly regret it. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I see people wearing fake Canada Goose and Burberry in London.
    Tbh I wear very plain clothes, I'm not a fan of logos on clothing. Beyond me why you'd buy fake branded clothing.

ReputationRep:
    Nooooooo :nope: - it is so tacky. :rofl: Would be a far more prudent move to impart a little more cash and invest in a piece from their permanent collection - or Dior perhaps.

Take my advice, don't spend money on something that will go out of fashion - I've been foolish enough to do that with one handbag. I throughly regret it. :lol:
    True

I want this in the future but I need to save up for it first http://s3.favim.com/orig/140530/bag-...om-1804170.jpg
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I wear very plain clothes, I'm not a fan of logos on clothing. Beyond me why you'd buy fake branded clothing.
    Yep
    I'd rather buy real Primark than fake designer :lol:

ReputationRep:
    True

I want this in the future but I need to save up for it first http://s3.favim.com/orig/140530/bag-...om-1804170.jpg
    That's a nice bag.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a mix of both.

Personally, I've never bought a fake because i'd feel embarrassed if someone found out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.