Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Private vs NHS Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lmao @ defining the level of healthcare you'll receive by a freely available address that anyone can rent and the quality of furniture in the waiting room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    Provided you have the money, it's literally the best in the world.
    Yeah, but as a system of providing the best healthcare to the largest number of people for the lowest price, it fails utterly. A system that's fantastic for the top 5% of society and awful for everyone else is not a useful system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    the NHS is not outrageously efficient,
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't the NHS saved more lives per £ than any other country bar Ireland over the past 25 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't the NHS saved more lives per £ than any other country bar Ireland over the past 25 years?
    defined' saved more lives' ...

it is not as simple as the financial reductionists make out , nor is it of the nature the clause 4 magic money tree types assert

the NHS is not outrageously efficient, clinical services particularly Nursing . midwifery and medic\l are very efficient , despite the system not because of them
      I don't disagree. Thats why the rest of the sentence (the bit you cut out) states "
      but relies hugely upon staff essentially donating free time and putting up with poor conditions to keep it ticking."
      The NHS is 'efficient' it gets a huge amount of output for the amount of funding supplied.

Medicla imaging has woken up in recent years to the way it has to work to deliver the service needed to support clinicians in decision making.
      Ish. But other problems have occured. Supply led demand. Now imaging is more available some clinicians cannot make decisions (which previously they would) without the imaging to back them up.Demand for imaging is ona dangerous tragectory which the recrutiment for the likes of radiologists cannot keep up with.

Physio / OT /SaLT can still be incredibley 'seagull like' in the way they work ...
      Not clue what seagull like means...

the ambulance service is panic driven at a senior mangement levle, but that is down to ORCON being the be all and end all of performance measures.
      Combined with the competing interests of each layer and their own targets.
      Wards won't take extra patients as that will increase patient to nursing ratio. So ED can't get patients out of the dept in time. So ED won't allow ambulances to offload, so ambulances cant meet their targets...
      Each successive target and 'safety issue' impacting another area.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
      Someone once suggested I go private. But there's no way of knowing whether they'd just do what the same as the NHS. (ie, nothing and just chuck pills at me with really undesirable side effects)

ReputationRep:
      'seagull like'

comes in struts around squawking loudly, leaves the place a tip and shits all the place and then flies off

ReputationRep:
      Obviously private

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
      Someone once suggested I go private. But there's no way of knowing whether they'd just do what the same as the NHS. (ie, nothing and just chuck pills at me with really undesirable side effects)
      My experience has all been good with private and although I don't think the quality of what they do medically is necessarily any better I think there is more that they do (at least quicker/ with less hassle).
      I've found that they are willing to do more extensive tests and that in some cases I have access to different treatment options. I'm sure the tests i've had would have eventually been done on the NHS, but only after a long time, while with private they are willing to go straight for the "better" tests.

My best experience has been with mental health services and that is where I would encourage people to go private if they can. I had access to more options than I would ever be given on the NHS and they are willing to do things without you being suicidal or anything. Best of all it's not just throwing "easy fixes" like meds which may be a quick solution to the NHS but may not be best for the patient's recovery. I've been given the option of residential care for example which there is no way I would get on the NHS. I have also found that private is better for after-care and general advice. I can contact the actual doctor I saw in most cases so they actually know my situation. I get the impression that they are more focused on customer care and reviews than the NHS which is more concerned with stats.

Of course private is not an option for everybody and even if it is and option I would still encourage people to try the NHS before they go private. There are a lot of things that I honestly don't think are worth paying the extra for. When you've exhausted options or if you have a complicated situation that the NHS can't seem to manage, that's when private is a good option.
      But if you have access to private (like if you get insurance through work or something), you should damn well make the most of it.

If you were considering going private I suggest you look up reviews of different places. Depending on what it's for I could also give you my experience.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Etomidate)
      Lmao @ defining the level of healthcare you'll receive by a freely available address that anyone can rent and the quality of furniture in the waiting room.
      Don't forget the hot chocolate.

(Original post by saraxh)
      Is there any private clinic/hospital that's good/trustworthy because I don't really get along with my GP?

Wow, i'm shocked.

Spoiler:
      Show

I have been to Harley Street before. It was like a normal GP except the luxury in terms of comfort. I wasn't even there for the comfort.

Try a different gp before going private. In any service you are going to get some people who either aren't good at it or who you clash with. Don't judge a whole service by one individual.

If you do decide to try private, do your research. Make a list of what is important to you- things like location, cost, reviews etc- and look for the best option for you. You may find that medical insurance or a membership to a certain place is a good option if you are looking at going private long-term, but if you're wanting it for just one thing you may want to look into just paying yourself for whatever appointments/ treatments you need.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      <snip>

My best experience has been with mental health services and that is where I would encourage people to go private if they can. I had access to more options than I would ever be given on the NHS and they are willing to do things without you being suicidal or anything. Best of all it's not just throwing "easy fixes" like meds which may be a quick solution to the NHS but may not be best for the patient's recovery. I've been given the option of residential care for example which there is no way I would get on the NHS. I have also found that private is better for after-care and general advice. I can contact the actual doctor I saw in most cases so they actually know my situation. I get the impression that they are more focused on customer care and reviews than the NHS which is more concerned with stats.
      <snip>
      The great myth that the NHS looks for easy fixes for mental health ... if that were the case you;d just diagnose anyone with an enduring problem as having a untreatable personality disorder and wash your hands of them ...

There are two reasons the private mental health world loves in patient treatment

1. it;s far more profitable
      2. they don;t have to deal with the heart sink patients who refuse to take any responsibility for their own health

ReputationRep:
      Private, private, private. The NHS is a total disgrace - why should anyone just be able to waltz in and use the taxpayer's money to pay for stuff?

We need to abolish the NHS and move to a free-market insurance based healthcare system. Healthcare is not a human right - you want it, you pay for it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Len Goodman)
      Private, private, private. The NHS is a total disgrace - why should anyone just be able to waltz in and use the taxpayer's money to pay for stuff?

We need to abolish the NHS and move to a free-market insurance based healthcare system. Healthcare is not a human right - you want it, you pay for it.
      Because property is theft, that's why. Also everyone uses roads... You can keep your crap utopia where we all have to pay a toll whenever we use a pavement.

Actually healthcare is a human right.

The great myth that the NHS looks for easy fixes for mental health ... if that were the case you;d just diagnose anyone with an enduring problem as having a untreatable personality disorder and wash your hands of them ...

There are two reasons the private mental health world loves in patient treatment

1. it;s far more profitable
      2. they don;t have to deal with the heart sink patients who refuse to take any responsibility for their own health
      When I say that I am not meaning to be dismissive of the nhs. It very helpful in most cases, but it is strained and especially in the mh area they do not have the resources to dedicate to less serious matters so they are more inclined to go for a "quick fix" that stabilises somebody and gives them time to dedicate on others than private which has more resources to dedicate to more intensive treatments.
      In a lot of cases it doesn't really matter and the "quick fix" is just as good as (or even better than because it is quick) other options, but in some cases you need the more intensive or more varied options.

For mental health a lot of people do find that the nhs does not help them as much as they need. There is help that they need which the nhs is unable to give them either at all or in a reasonable time frame.
      For some people the nhs is perfectly adequate though and can give them the help they need. There is no universal experience.

I realise that private is not nice to you for your sake and that it is looking for profit, but it is still good in a lot of cases and if you have the money to spend on it it can be worth going private for at least some issues.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.