Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should men have the right to "abort" their unborn child? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Ok then but that is going to have other considerations to take into account. The cost on society if the mother needs financial support etc. Are all the horrible oiks on here with their anti-welfare spiel seriously suggesting that a man can just bugger off his financial responsibility for the state to pick up the slack? Or instead of hypocrisy are they instead going for a poverty kick in screwing over a load of single poorer women? Do you guys really expect woman to have to make the decision between killing her fetus and having a child she can not afford because a man has had a "financial abortion"?

I'm fine with chucking money at people just for existing, child included. But then I'm a disgusting left winger :borat:
    I agree with you (mostly). I just wanted to clarify OP's position for the sake of healthy debate. I don't think this would work in practice. There are too many women who would choose to keep the foetus despite being unable to financially provide for the child, and probably too many fathers who would pressure their girlfriends NOT to abort despite withdrawing their responsibility to contribute financially (after all, we did evolve to spread our genes as much as possible).

But in an ideal world where women would reliably abort if they couldn't afford a child, or if it wouldn't have a father, financial abortion would be ethically sound. Aborting a foetus at an early stage is unpleasant, but it's nothing compared to the 'father' being forced to pay thousands of pounds to the mother simply to fund a choice she's made. And that really is the binary choice before the mother: mild discomfort for herself or forcing another person to fund something only she wants for the next eighteen years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lavaridge)
    Aborting a foetus at an early stage is unpleasant, but it's nothing compared to the 'father' being forced to pay thousands of pounds to the mother simply to fund a choice she's made. And that really is the binary choice before the mother: mild discomfort for herself or forcing another person to fund something only she wants for the next eighteen years.
    I've listened to many women's true abortion stories and I disagree. It can be a painful procedure - a medical abortion can be somewhat akin to labour, occasionally there are complications, and there can be emotional fallout which can seriously affect the woman's quality of life for years or decades. I wouldn't describe this as mild discomfort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangestripes)
    I've listened to many women's true abortion stories and I disagree. It can be a painful procedure - a medical abortion can be somewhat akin to labour, occasionally there are complications, and there can be emotional fallout which can seriously affect the woman's quality of life for years or decades. I wouldn't describe this as mild discomfort.
    True, I shouldn't have made it sound so trivial. But it does depends on the stage. In this ideal case, the man makes his position clear immediately, and the woman can abort well before the process becomes anything akin to labour. The descriptions I've heard summarize early stage abortions as extra-strong period cramps, very painful for some women, but even the most unpleasant descriptions I've read from people who have experienced both abortion and labour put the former as the less painful. The same applies to safety: abortion is less risky in general than childbirth, so arguments can't really be made along that line either.

Emotional fallout is partially cultural and wildly varies between women. Studies seem to suggest that serious emotional/psychological issues affect only a small minority of women who have had abortions. Having an accidental child with no father, I imagine, also raises those statistics. I'm sure that being forced to provide for an unwanted child has quite a serious emotional effect on the men in the situation as well, which has to be factored in as a counterweight.

ReputationRep:
    So yes once an unplanned pregnancy exists there are no easy options available any more. Which is why it is much better for both partners to take full responsibility for avoiding that situation, and as no contraception is 100%, for both partners to either avoid sex in a situation where they can't agree how to handle an unplanned pregnancy if it happens, or take responsibility in the event that it does.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.