Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am stressing myself out over the course i want to apply for in a few months time. i want to study either medicine or dentistry or anything related to the two, i am not interested in anything else but due to my careless nature during gcse exam time, i got 1A* 2A 5B and a C at gcse. does anyone have any advice on what i should do or if there is ANY way i can get into them

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely possible, but you'll have to prove it by getting the best possible A level grades. Only the top Unis (Oxbridge in mind) really also look at GCSE's too (on average, a successful applicant would have 7A*s+). Although, now that AS is scrapped, they may use GCSE's to help make their decisions too, more so than before. Not to say that you are in any way a weak candidate, but when the competition out there consists of 11A* candidates (I know someone that got 11, and then flopped AS and now cannot go onto medicine ). Depends on how committed you are.

If you manage to get onto any medicine course, whether they are top-tier Unis or near the bottom, it makes no difference - medicine degrees, high demand = pretty much guaranteed work.

Are you sure you're cut out for it? It's one of the most demanding courses there is. Many fail to get onto that particular path, and end up doing biomedicine, pharmaceutical and science degrees instead.

My advice - take a range of 'facilitating subjects' (Google it), but have maybe med/dentistry in mind. An example would be Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Economics. (And then drop the Econ in Year 13). Therefore, you have the option of med/dentistry, but if it doesn't work out, the two sciences give you good stead for anything related.

Gd luck. Don't stress too much - you'll have plenty of time to do that in December

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainyBengali)
    It is definitely possible, but you'll have to prove it by getting the best possible A level grades. Only the top Unis (Oxbridge in mind) really also look at GCSE's too (on average, a successful applicant would have 7A*s+). Although, now that AS is scrapped, they may use GCSE's to help make their decisions too, more so than before. Not to say that you are in any way a weak candidate, but when the competition out there consists of 11A* candidates (I know someone that got 11, and then flopped AS and now cannot go onto medicine ). Depends on how committed you are.

If you manage to get onto any medicine course, whether they are top-tier Unis or near the bottom, it makes no difference - medicine degrees, high demand = pretty much guaranteed work.

Are you sure you're cut out for it? It's one of the most demanding courses there is. Many fail to get onto that particular path, and end up doing biomedicine, pharmaceutical and science degrees instead.

My advice - take a range of 'facilitating subjects' (Google it), but have maybe med/dentistry in mind. An example would be Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Economics. (And then drop the Econ in Year 13). Therefore, you have the option of med/dentistry, but if it doesn't work out, the two sciences give you good stead for anything related.

Gd luck. Don't stress too much - you'll have plenty of time to do that in December
    thank you, i am doing biology, chemistry and psychology at a level currently with the EPQ. if i get AAA at a level hopefully, what do you think my chances are?

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine just had an interview yesterday, and he takes the exact same subjects as you!

He got AAB at AS, and the fact that he's already been offered the chance to prove himself is quite good in itself. So I believe if you can build a strong Personal Statement, (he didn't really have anything apart from grades tbh. They're the main, but not only thing), then you have a pretty good chance :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainyBengali)
    A friend of mine just had an interview yesterday, and he takes the exact same subjects as you!

He got AAB at AS, and the fact that he's already been offered the chance to prove himself is quite good in itself. So I believe if you can build a strong Personal Statement, (he didn't really have anything apart from grades tbh. They're the main, but not only thing), then you have a pretty good chance :grin:
    may i ask how his gcse grades were like?

ReputationRep:
    its incredibly hard to get into medicine, i'm not even going to sugar coat it. one of my friends got rejected from one of her uni choices with a good ukcat score, 4As at AS and good A2 predictions (A*AA i believe). her gcses were 3 A*s and 6As (or something like that) and she was rejected based on her gcses not being good enough.
    advice: make sure you really look into the uni's you're considering applying to because if they base it heavily on gcse's, it's not a good thing for you. look for ones with high ukcat or bmat rankings, or those that base a lot of their decision on work experience/personal stamements.
    best of luck with your endeavours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GNHD)
    May I ask how his GCSE grades were like?
    I think it was 9/10A*s so that doesn't help you much. Like the above poster said, there's no point beating around the bush - if you don't have the grades, you're not making the cut.

Think about it: what's the first criteria when sorting out UCAS applications? I think one way some Unis may do it is look at purely grades first. If they're too low (e.g.less than 7A*s) then they simply reject. Cold-hearted, I know, but there's no other way since they have so many strong candidates to cherry-pick from.

Simply, really think hard if Med is your perfect course. It may not be and there are literally thousands other courses out there and you can't just be in it for the money - in interviews, they EASILY suss out the fakes from the truly passionate.

My friend said he found the interview really hard, as he did with his last one. So instead of putting yourself through something so competitive anyway, perhaps re-consider? But at the same time, there's no stopping you from being the next successful Med graduate at UCL

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.