Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I'm a current Y13 student and will hopefully be starting my course on September 2017. I have a few different circumstances and would like to know whether I would be eligible for funding by SFE for 2017-2018

I'm currently a Y13 student at England and will have been in the UK 2 years and 9 months before the start date of my course( 3 months short). Before that I was at Turkey and it wasnt temporarily. I was born in the UK and have residency. My father is Turkish and has been in the UK for a period longer than 20 years. He is a worker and has been paying tax throughout the whole time.
    The documents I have in hand are: UK birth certificate, active UK bank( for only 2 years though), national insurance number, proof of child benefit, British passport.

I've just copied and pasted the requirements there are for funding from the SF website below so I can make references from here.
    ================================ ====================
    Students must meet certain criteria on nationality and residency; age; and previous study.

Nationality and residency to apply for student finance, the student MUST:
    • be a UK national or have settled status (that is, no restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK);
    • normally live in England; and
    • have been living in the UK for at least three years before the first day of their course.

They may also be eligible if they are:

• an EU national, or a relative of one;
    • a refugee, or a relative of one;
    • under Humanitarian Protection, or a relative of someone under Humanitarian Protection;
    • an EEA/Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one;
    • the child of a Swiss national; or
    • the child of a Turkish worker.
    ================================ ========================

I do satisfy the first 2 bullet points above the part that mentions 'They may also be eligible if they are' however I do not satisfy the requirement for being in the UK for the past 3 years. But if you look at the next set of bullet-points it includes an alternative that may be in my favour. It states if you are a child of a Turkish worker you may also be eligible for SF.

Now what I am confused about is that it says that you MUST be in the UK for 3 years regardless of whether you are UK national, have settled status and normally live in the UK. Then it moves onto saying you may also be eligible if you are a child of a Turkish worker.
    Any interpretation to this or any useful advice would be much appreciated. Thanks )
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    According to UKCISA, in order to qualify for 'home' fees under the 'Child of a Turkish worker' category, you must meet all of the following criteria:

(a) you must be the child of a Turkish national; and

(b) your Turkish national parent must be ordinarily resident in the UK and must be, or have been, lawfully employed in the UK; and

(c) you must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course; and

(d) you must have been ordinarily resident in the EEA and/or Switzerland and/or Turkey and/or the overseas territories for the three years before the first day of the first academic year of the course.
    Don't quote me on this because I'm not certain, but assuming you can divide those three years between the EEA and Turkey (I think you can because it says "EEA and/or Turkey" then you should be eligible for funding under the 'Child of a Turkish worker' category. Normally I would say phone SFE to make sure, but their call centres are notorious for making mistakes. The only way to know for sure is to apply and see what happens.

If you can't get funding then take a gap year and re-apply for finance next year. By then you will have been resident in the UK for three years and will definitely qualify for a loan.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Yes, you can apply for full student support and you will not need 3 years residency requirements; however you will have to be:
    • The child or step-child of a Turkish National who is ordinarily resident in the UK and is/has been employed.
    • You must be an ordinarily resident in England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland* on the first day of the first academic year of the course.
    • You must have been ordinarily resident in the EEA, Switzerland or Turkey for 3 years before the start of the course.
    *This will depend on the Awards Authority you have applied to i.e. you must be resident in England if you have applied to SFE.In order to be eligible as the child of a Turkish Worker, you must provide the following evidence:
    • Proof that the family member is a Turkish National
    • Evidence of the family members employment within the UK
    • Evidence of the family members relationship to the student (bith certificate; marriage certificate
    • The parent's Original ID

If you need any further clarification, it may be best to call us on 0300 100 0607 to allow us to ask a few pertinent questions.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.