Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Isn't the central stave middle C???

G
    yea it is..but it gets confusing when u have ledger (sp?) notes...
    yeah...what my friend was saying is a C is on the second space on the stave in treble clef and a C in alto clef is the middle line.....so u just read it a note above...(although u'd be playing an octave higher)

ReputationRep:
    how do u know where to put ur fingers then if there are no frets ... i mean i know there are no frets but like ppl who play it should have perfect pitch then ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    i tried violin by borrowin it from a friend ... it is NOT easy .... i wish i knew though ... i find em so damn cool ...
    i think after u learn the notes and where they are positioned, everthing else comes quite easily...the bowing is not hard....

ReputationRep:
    how do u know where to put ur fingers then if there are no frets ... i mean i know there are no frets but like ppl who play it should have perfect pitch then ??
    u'll get used to it if u learn...and if it's wrong u just slide up and down a little...at least the mistake is less noticeable than playing a wrong note on the piano...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    u'll get used to it if u learn...and if it's wrong u just slide up and down a little...at least the mistake is less noticeable than playing a wrong note on the piano...
    i play guitar but i cant really identify any harder chords like suspended and stuff like tht ... ill b lost if it comes to the violin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    Yeah..you just learn where to position your fingers..it comes naturally after a while...but i doubt its something you can learn yourself

G

ReputationRep:
    wats the difference between the viola and the violin , ive never played classical music but i do enjoy listening to it sometimes . But i can never pick out which one the viola is in an orchestra or differenciate it from the violin ...

if i remember rite the viola is the smaller one rite ?
    mmmm not to sure hun got me stumped on that one ... do hope u find out

ReputationRep:
    id love to take lessons ... the prib is the place where i go to .. all the ppl there are like under 13 .... ill feel like an old man

ReputationRep:
    i play guitar but i cant really identify any harder chords like suspended and stuff like tht ... ill b lost if it comes to the violin
    with violins and violas u don't play chords very often...so it's not so bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    with violins and violas u don't play chords very often...so it's not so bad...
    Double-stopping.....fun!

G

ReputationRep:
    Yeah..you just learn where to position your fingers..it comes naturally after a while...but i doubt its something you can learn yourself

G
    oh! i just remembered something! when i first started playing my teacher stuck stickers on the neck...they kinda act as frets (although with frets u press in between the lines...with this u press on the line)
    i guess u could learn that way...

ReputationRep:
    Notice all the composers who have played the viola: mozart, hindemith (I bet you lot hate him too), holst (when he wasn't playing trombone), Tchaik (highly overrated composer), Brahms (Highly underrated composer)... The list goes on.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Double-stopping.....fun!

G
    yup!!! i like them too! adds a lot of flavour to the music
    but i don't like it when i have to play 3 or 4 notes together.....it doesn't sound very chord-like...more like a very fast arpeggio..

ReputationRep:
    Double-stopping.....fun!

G
    yay i love double stopping! double stopping scales are the best

i'm a viola player too btw! i used 2 play the violin, then i swapped to the viola cos i love the sound it makes ... its so much warmer than the violin's sound.

what do you play, G?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    yay i love double stopping! double stopping scales are the best

i'm a viola player too btw! i used 2 play the violin, then i swapped to the viola cos i love the sound it makes ... its so much warmer than the violin's sound.

what do you play, G?
    wow!! u can play both!!!!!! do u ever get confused between the 2? i'm too afraid to learn the viola coz the new fingering may ruin my violin playing...

I think G plays the piano and saxophone...yes??

ReputationRep:
    another interesting viola joke:

how do you stop your violin being stolen?
    hide it in a viola case!

actually, bowing is much harder than fingering once you get quite good - it's the difference in bowing that separates the top players.

i suppose you just learn the fingering combinations.... it just comes after a few years of practice. unfortunately it's hard to produce a good sound on a violin instantly, unlike a trumpet where you can play a good note instantly. i've been playing a bit too long to remember how hard it was at the time!

ReputationRep:
    I play the violin as well. I think that learning the violin for the first time was very hard as i was always out of tune. :mad: But bowing technique is very important as well for producing nice sounds. My friend plays the viola and she says that viola players are treated like "rejects" lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaspoon)
    I play the violin as well. I think that learning the violin for the first time was very hard as i was always out of tune. :mad: But bowing technique is very important as well for producing nice sounds. My friend plays the viola and she says that viola players are treated like "rejects" lol
    that's because they are.... *ooof* *ouch* *doh*

violent viola players grrr...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    oh! i just remembered something! when i first started playing my teacher stuck stickers on the neck...they kinda act as frets (although with frets u press in between the lines...with this u press on the line)
    i guess u could learn that way...
    Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Stickers on the neck is BAD :mad:

It teaches kids to play by looking at their hands, not by listening to the notes. You have to play by ear. Yes, it sounds truly vile to begin with, but it's really important to learn to hear when a note is just a tiny fraction wrong - which, if you're just relying on stickers, you won't know. You have to be able to feel the notes are right.

And as 4Ed says, once you get to be really good, it is all in the bowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    actually, bowing is much harder than fingering once you get quite good - it's the difference in bowing that separates the top players.
    (Original post by teaspoon)
    But bowing technique is very important as well for producing nice sounds.
    yeh that is true! there are quite a few techniques to learn!
    does the bottom of your bow ever turn black? i just hate it when that happens coz it's too smooth to produce any sound...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.