Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Stickers on the neck is BAD :mad:

It teaches kids to play by looking at their hands, not by listening to the notes. You have to play by ear. Yes, it sounds truly vile to begin with, but it's really important to learn to hear when a note is just a tiny fraction wrong - which, if you're just relying on stickers, you won't know. You have to be able to feel the notes are right.

And as 4Ed says, once you get to be really good, it is all in the bowing.
    i ddin't realise you were a violinist! :eek:

i learnt 3rd position with stickers, and it may account for my now atrocious intonation, which i've had to relearn. with a violin you have to let the notes and the pitch intervals guide you - there's quite alot of time to slip into just the correct finger position as long as your hand's roughly there, and you have the correct note in your head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    yeh that is true! there are quite a few techniques to learn!
    does the bottom of your bow ever turn black? i just hate it when that happens coz it's too smooth to produce any sound...
    isn't that to do with not enough rosin on the bow, and the fact that you don't use the bottom of your bow enough?

my old bow had great dirty black bits, but my new £500 bow (:eek: showing off here ) is perfectly evenly coloured throughout... just a touch of rosin and it sounds amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i ddin't realise you were a violinist! :eek:

i learnt 3rd position with stickers, and it may account for my now atrocious intonation, which i've had to relearn. with a violin you have to let the notes and the pitch intervals guide you - there's quite alot of time to slip into just the correct finger position as long as your hand's roughly there, and you have the correct note in your head.
    No, I'm a cellist. But the same applies. I never had stickers.

ReputationRep:
    Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Stickers on the neck is BAD :mad:

It teaches kids to play by looking at their hands, not by listening to the notes. You have to play by ear. Yes, it sounds truly vile to begin with, but it's really important to learn to hear when a note is just a tiny fraction wrong - which, if you're just relying on stickers, you won't know. You have to be able to feel the notes are right.

And as 4Ed says, once you get to be really good, it is all in the bowing.
    yes that is very true!! and my teacher only took them off slightly less than a year later (before i took my exams)...and yes i did have a very hard time relearning those exam songs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    isn't that to do with not enough rosin on the bow, and the fact that you don't use the bottom of your bow enough?

my old bow had great dirty black bits, but my new £500 bow (:eek: showing off here ) is perfectly evenly coloured throughout... just a touch of rosin and it sounds amazing!
    :eek: :eek: wow!!! i need a new bow...mine is now half is original thickness...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    :eek: :eek: wow!!! i need a new bow...mine is now half is original thickness...
    Not necessarily - you could just need it re-hairing. A lot cheaper option

ReputationRep:
    i thought investing in a new bow is a cheaper way of improving my sound without spending £1000 plus on a good violin.

my violin is only worth about £200 i reckon (my new bow is worth more than the violin :eek:), and the old bow was worth £50 with a stick that was bent AND gave way whenever you tried to play accented notes or continous forte notes! not worth rehairing at all!

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily - you could just need it re-hairing. A lot cheaper option
    true...but it's so hard to find someone who does re-hairing in this part of the world.....argh! i need a new violin altogether...it has a fatal crack below the bridge... :mad:

btw, are violin bows and cello bows the same? or is one slightly shorter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i thought investing in a new bow is a cheaper way of improving my sound without spending £1000 plus on a good violin.

my violin is only worth about £200 i reckon (my new bow is worth more than the violin :eek:), and the old bow was worth £50 with a stick that was bent AND gave way whenever you tried to play accented notes or continous forte notes! not worth rehairing at all!
    btw, what's a good violin to get? my current one is german-made...gewa...heard of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    true...but it's so hard to find someone who does re-hairing in this part of the world.....argh! i need a new violin altogether...it has a fatal crack below the bridge... :mad:

I think the cello one is a tiny bit shorter, not sure though, but it definitely has a thicker stick.

Any decent music shop will do re-hairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)

whereabouts do you live then? i have a few violin shops and a master bow maker (where i got my bow - it wasn't even made by him, his own bows cost £1500+)within 15 miles of where i live, so i'm quite lucky.

with rehairing, you can send your bow away to be done, and i think it costs about £28-£35 not including postage and packaging.

ReputationRep:
    I think the cello one is a tiny bit shorter, not sure though, but it definitely has a thicker stick.

Any decent music shop will do re-hairs.
    yep that sounds about right.

(Original post by p8224)
    btw, what's a good violin to get? my current one is german-made...gewa...heard of it?
    i've heard of it, but i'm not expert in violin purchasing.... mine's a czech factory made one i think, an intermediate violin but now produces a lovely sound (after 7 years of me forcing it to perform my bidding )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    whereabouts do you live then? i have a few violin shops and a master bow maker (where i got my bow - it wasn't even made by him, his own bows cost £1500+)within 15 miles of where i live, so i'm quite lucky.

with rehairing, you can send your bow away to be done, and i think it costs about £28-£35 not including postage and packaging.
    i live in malaysia..... music isn't valued as much here *sigh* so music shops wouldn't make lucrative businesses
    i'm planning on getting all my violin needs sorted when i go to the uk (this september...grades willing)

yeh..that's the thing with my violin...it's well seasoned now and i'm so used to it...but i really want a new one too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    i live in malaysia..... music isn't valued as much here *sigh* so music shops wouldn't make lucrative businesses
    i'm planning on getting all my violin needs sorted when i go to the uk (this september...grades willing)

yeh..that's the thing with my violin...it's well seasoned now and i'm so used to it...but i really want a new one too!
    you may find that the far east is slightly cheaper if you want to buy violins, since the demand in uk may push up the prices of instruments. my mum couldn't believe how much people spend on musical instruments!

lots of american/english companies provide worldwide delivery service and so on - i checked them up when i was looking for my new bow and violin case. america is cheaper, but it wasn't a viable option for me as I would have had to pay lots of customs and exise duty to get it into the uk. presumably in malaysia you won't have to pay as much.

where're you planning to go in sept then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    you may find that the far east is slightly cheaper if you want to buy violins, since the demand in uk may push up the prices of instruments. my mum couldn't believe how much people spend on musical instruments!

lots of american/english companies provide worldwide delivery service and so on - i checked them up when i was looking for my new bow and violin case. america is cheaper, but it wasn't a viable option for me as I would have had to pay lots of customs and exise duty to get it into the uk. presumably in malaysia you won't have to pay as much.

where're you planning to go in sept then?
    violins are much much cheaper here but a little low in terms of quality... most are made in china and korea...(my current one was ordered from germany and yeah i did have to pay tax and stuff) my teacher says i shouldn't spend less than the equivalent of £700 for a good one but i'm willing to spend £1000+

the thing is...i'd rather not order my violin again as i'd like to feel and hear it before buying it.
    anyways, we'll see how it goes...

this sept...KCL hopefully!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.